Refinish Salon Floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
I'm looking to sand and refinish the salon floor on my Mainship 400. The threshold is pretty bad as it gets the sun. I'm not looking to replace, just refinish whats there. I've done exterior rail teak refinishing on my sailboat but never an interior. I'm experienced in using both single as well as 2 stage materials. Just wondering what others have done and how well it holds up.

We had excellent success using Epifanes Wood Finish (Gloss in our case) on the floor of our aft deck and the stairs to the lower level of our old Hatteras. Both took a lot of abuse especially the former, with furniture being moved around on it, salt water and traffic from people coming up from the swim platform, exposure to sunlight and other weather. We eventually used it or the satin version on any other teak or Afromosia that needed refreshing. Easy to use and apply.

Here's a pic after a couple years of full time living aboard and cruising.

HcEqVYqKcUvu6gri__7e3chnsOu9jAGGyuT_hBO3DWc9NE7jXTISYme0aT0pJNhApzovEVpeH_I4DJStFUNLJRTSwlCpAk6R0fWhjNUh7Dc8Bu3k3a1iBvTjp-wy1BJix5y4E9LlPVDiQuIRiwtHvuLkVSNJRswDYU2kCrLcBbQA5EtMXbdoXD_rr6EsfhT5a7CKJ4006yVKb1X5uDDrDLfQrpEto_9Dswcoac74RAsBF7jkFu_yfN-PlQplDW-zt1BOYnTuxGNA_bESfoBLjl1nrqlaPd2nmVZ7lI03DHujszBESVMrwJuCwUG5aGKC-K05SgJdo3RP_k6xyrRHbDsecJbVYb2i-koDZ35C9NYJsHN-_x5wikFpP3IpT3j-q2KvTEeF3V5xmDpgcE22YRryls6detkT9JbPazY_lh9Nx4wwJ0iglNgEWFdQU0QHsRUI25rsAWddst1khUGV5op8Y4toe_l13UVVoS3QIerke2veHgeOvmqYWJlQeFboFZq5Pz7G-NUcONaQpHb5N8kHlsemVLRpbCelujgKhW1-MABdgausRFTEnPZWYysrqsq4ZWa0XDIumdjThdRI4NC8pI6-QqLlgokPcUI8c7MN0NL4kaPAkIO9LPcfXhX41PNWmJortWC1Kx4hMoGlGXDzD0Ov1ZLN0HGsLWVTnz3u7uAckji2EcPNOP7L=w1024-h688-no

We just did our salon floor last weekend. I will admit that I cheated a bit. A friend who does wood floors for a living came up and did most of the work. He also brought professional tools and talent.

Total time was about 6 hours over two days. Sanding and scraping the floor to bare wood was most of that time. The floor had been re-coated in the past. A PO appears to have just re-coated over the existing without removing any of the hatch hardware. I removed all the hardware and cleaned and polished it before reinstalling.

Sanded with 50, 60, 80, 100, and 220 before the final coat. We went through a lot of 50 and 60. The existing finish gummed up the paper quickly. Once the finish was removed, the rest of the sanding was easy.

I don't know much (or anything) about floor finishes, but I suspect most any quality household floor would work fine. My friend was concerned about what was on the floor before sanding. Said he probably would have had to use a different finish if the previous finish had been oil based instead of water based.

We applied five coats of finish. Bona Classic Seal. Three coats of Bona Mega, and Bona Traffic for the top coat.

The floor turned out much nicer than I thought it could. We will see how it wears. I understand Bona products are toward the higher end of floor finishes.

Attachments

• mv Archimedes Salon Floor Refinishing Before.jpg
    mv Archimedes Salon Floor Refinishing Before.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 44
  • mv Archimedes Salon Floor refinishing After.jpg
    mv Archimedes Salon Floor refinishing After.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
There was a very long thread a couple of weeks ago about this. One of the contributors does floor refinishing for his work and had a lot of great input. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Looks nice nice work on that type of floor. Do not try it on the teak and holley that mainship used. It is a veneer finish. You can easily sand through it.

Thanks for the responses and pictures. Because I have a teak and holly laminated floor, I was hoping I would get some feedback on refinishing that type of floor.

Look awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom