View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
windsecho

City: Priest Lake
Keel full of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD View Post
A first post for me, and a thank-you to all others who post their issues and solutions - I have learned a lot since signing up last year.
Short Story: My issue and concern: 1989 full-displacement 37ft Heritage East we bought last year is still up on the hard from winter storage. Last week-end we siphoned up 100 litres/25 gallons of water out of the keel, and expect we've another 100-200 litres to go. Hoping the wisdom of this Forum is that this is not a normal/intended condition and we should keep siphoning.
Longer Story: St-Lawrence/1000 Islands area, in the water last summer went to replace a seized aft sump/bilge shower pump and defective float switch. When approx 1/2 screws attaching both to the bottom of the sump were removed water started to percolate up into the sump from below. Though certain all was centered over the keel I decided not to mess around and quickly installed the new pump and float switch picking up the same fastener holes. Deal with it in the spring on the hard when there won't be any water to enter through these holes. Wrong. This spring after 6 months out of the water, when the fasteners were again removed, the sump again fills with clear clean water (boat is resting stern-low which would assist water flow out of the keel). Stuck a wire into the holes, and though the screws were only 1/2 inch a 12 inch wire disappears into keel area.
The theory I am proceeding with is, no water drained out of the keel over the winter, so water entry is from above somewhere. There is no evidence of pink anti-freeze which all plumbing in the boat is filled with each fall. So am proceeding on the hunch that some previous owner (inadvertantly) drilled these holes through the hull into the keel, let the keel fill with shower sump water, before plugging said holes with shower sump pump and float switch. Not exceedingly comfortable with this hypothesis - but that is what I am going with as I continue to spihon the water out.
Chris.
I had similar issue. It would be good if you could call me. Thanks 208-709-8184,,I'm on pacific time
windsecho is offline   Reply With Quote