Anchor snubber question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

Well after owning a sailboat and 2 years on this baby... we're learning how to anchor and liking it so far. Specifics: Bruce anchor with 300' of chain. I know the science and have practiced with our sailboat and last weekend the trawler. The PO had a line with a hook that secures to the capstan, but when I used that to get the chain unloaded... the weight of everything was still on the bow sprit. I have the ports on the bow for mooring lines. How would the boat ride the wind if I put a single snubber line through one of the holes only? Should I use a Y setup and use both holes for the snubber setup?

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 109
I have a plate with a slot that slides onto the chain. It has 2 shackles with thimbles for 2 lines to go to the cleats on each side. You can do it with only 1 lead but I like the way the boat lies with the pull centered.

I can practically guarantee you that no matter what you do with bridles, snubbers, et al that boat with all that windage forward with yaw around at anchor in a breeze like a wild horse. I had a GB43, and I cannot even begin to enumerated the many combinations I tried, including a snubber to the anchor chain coming from all the way aft to cock the boat 30 degrees to the rode. Abut the best thing was a heavy weight dropped off the stern kept as close stay. The steadying sail I had? Nope, didn't help. Welcome to trawlers which will never behave at anchor like sailboats do. :banghead:

I disagree with Rich a little bit, but anyway here is a photo of the rig Comodave mentioned, same we used happily hundreds of nights on the hook.
All boats will horse a little bit; weight makes a difference.

2fnrI9fmwigr9VH9YefX1odj1fADpQ1qHt4n1WGEZXIctZV2Y6wxCg6XTdHH-v5Z0zK8vOypbhqETGDlpPkv1JP649XqxK-Taq0XEqO7ooI28R7tRFvAE9kIo83yEnB5nEj3qc0XvylZKjbLxyoxDq5t8eKT9RTk5C87BYJOz1JgcHDUeykh4n94OBS0-f-6X7kTyBC1K7CHORKc4e5C6I7yRlAjudyAKfkc_znxuoSQhAR9ylBiyGr-yZ2MzIVRga6XG0xL0oc8pCzY8FfhSQawfWItcjiU86LSxuUFmZDdIoSXDfaN7xEV5ENnLFaW2My6Ks9FAwD1Ykq_SdmL8Ha_DOjlEmkIYNaj3_-92lcBq7Lqr_qxbZTAQ2HAEjimajfljyiXGbCV5sBCzhCQnG_A21sjrMVmfF5OEMsrzljtxjpxN6kcarjCGP_AK3sqmySTXkejtR2Hc4kUlT2RB7obsVHkKAiHdlegfCQRWsk5W8ZeoaIAup0Xq4hNLyxTGWAhS5iZPuJHvkyJBtzghySFO1sZzphi08VLTSHN6UWXrK85i1ypG7twHWmXb_XMx0ecZh-3lNOQTKRg6zcIF6lLCzZe3Pwqy5u90NCe2Q9HXKO3ONVYR8_-TMnZ5B4DVBIL0TDPqyx6YbQfPE43OCtaoEfj4JSLa_Z9D6lfkD92BiUAcLSFTv92Cq1T=w1000-h671-no

I've sat nicely at anchor with a line attached to the chain with a rolling hitch and run out a hawse, including in severe squall on a GB49MY we chartered. Or sometimes out the anchor chute with chafe protection (which is a good idea to use regardless of your method). So play around and see what works for you.

On some boats having the attachment point further forward keeps things settled. And if the pulpit / bowsprit is strong enough, there's nothing wrong with having load on the roller while anchored.

I use a chain hook through the bow sprit. Unless you're really short scoping, the pull is mostly forward, not down. I also have the chain plate in post #4. Really need to use both lines and run them through the hawse pipes in the bow. I started with the plate and switched to the hook. Probably faster and simpler. My boat hunts at anchor and neither system made any difference in that regard.

Ted

I can tell you that you can get away with a single snubber line out a bow/side cleat in mild conditions BUT in high winds, your boat will yaw out sideways to max windage and max load on the anchor at some point. In soft bottom you will probably pull free and drift downwind in a hurry. BTDT!!! My bridle is now 2 chafe protected leads to a Mantus Hook. Better but when a thunderstorm cranks up to whistling speeds, you better have a big anchor, proper bridle, and good bottom.

Last edited:
In most conditions, your snubber over the roller is fine - & necessary to unload the capstan. In heavy weather add a bridle to both of the bow Hawse holes with either chain hook, rolling hitch or soft shackle as back up.

I can tell you that you can get away with a single snubber line out a bow/side cleat in mild conditions BUT in high winds, your boat will yaw out sideways to max windage and max load on the anchor at some point. In soft bottom you will probably pull free and drift downwind in a hurry. BTDT!!! My bridle is now 2 chafe protected leads to a Mantus Hook. Better but when a thunderstorm cranks up to whistling speeds, you better have a big anchor, proper bridle, and good bottom.

You mean conditions like this?

SP4Fh4v-qm91V1840h3FoIXdj_8qk7M6I_esBfGHeqbD9NAfRTfe7Ka4NQlYX6eYhAFYFHfWkBWmVxe4Gks77TltN_qFoVUow7OfIBXTWFXItDZN1d66bUDhb0sB49XjF-S3kfJDETFOVNpEEiRF1rvzHM48O5nl7DqgFLldmQGbE3o4d8bHhyeSO931BkmXq2jYG5pVykRUu6okPp0wRs7ehj3OCpe24cRGR6qQGfAvFykFF2D8BHEdQ5PiBDROIHWCmFzC3bP-93ePYg0JAR3laEidgKswx9c9MMLOCRQ7afKBiCA9o0HSbLJ5rd00f2TuxVT__NOjs5OYRJ0apOksvkYnW_uZIGofTCeb-BRCehJ3fyS9fCtFPt28Ek9CW4IU7dw_Slk2SH0NfBeK7XKFGP90KxdV60JWFh23rJHWqvKJEEnOWbs_QB3rvtG_LLLZY0YaasHSJk0fcPzbJbkv1UUWW9-_2pzc7VYg-ZULN62PafXkJJ9OEeJXgUHQ23XwusJv_2C6I5TLcgrN0DHGdv9XcNVL4Goii_cHb2_uJ8IeuZ3J-9NtqK1e3ypHYUTIYhLxNm3PxWvpdR7HTHXvSrdBfYOpb4ftxdnAtMSH2-8KJe1LyKjEwW8uYDa6xo-OnshuXHDcjSujjP_cHF9i5zN0LrwJWhQzYBFZhAMvdB9EIeT-_ndevIcz=w1164-h872-no

Micro cell squall off Indian Key, 10,000 Islands, in the aforementioned GB 49MY, rolling hitch snubber. At the end of the anchor chain was, wait for it...... a CQR anchor. All held together for about an hour until storm passed and then plain old wind and on into the next day.

The snubber, bridal is called a chain riding stopper.

I also use a single snubber over the anchor roller.
If the winds were going to be over 35 knots sustained I'd probably rig a double and go thru the hawse holes. Or deploy anchor number 2.

You mean conditions like this?

SP4Fh4v-qm91V1840h3FoIXdj_8qk7M6I_esBfGHeqbD9NAfRTfe7Ka4NQlYX6eYhAFYFHfWkBWmVxe4Gks77TltN_qFoVUow7OfIBXTWFXItDZN1d66bUDhb0sB49XjF-S3kfJDETFOVNpEEiRF1rvzHM48O5nl7DqgFLldmQGbE3o4d8bHhyeSO931BkmXq2jYG5pVykRUu6okPp0wRs7ehj3OCpe24cRGR6qQGfAvFykFF2D8BHEdQ5PiBDROIHWCmFzC3bP-93ePYg0JAR3laEidgKswx9c9MMLOCRQ7afKBiCA9o0HSbLJ5rd00f2TuxVT__NOjs5OYRJ0apOksvkYnW_uZIGofTCeb-BRCehJ3fyS9fCtFPt28Ek9CW4IU7dw_Slk2SH0NfBeK7XKFGP90KxdV60JWFh23rJHWqvKJEEnOWbs_QB3rvtG_LLLZY0YaasHSJk0fcPzbJbkv1UUWW9-_2pzc7VYg-ZULN62PafXkJJ9OEeJXgUHQ23XwusJv_2C6I5TLcgrN0DHGdv9XcNVL4Goii_cHb2_uJ8IeuZ3J-9NtqK1e3ypHYUTIYhLxNm3PxWvpdR7HTHXvSrdBfYOpb4ftxdnAtMSH2-8KJe1LyKjEwW8uYDa6xo-OnshuXHDcjSujjP_cHF9i5zN0LrwJWhQzYBFZhAMvdB9EIeT-_ndevIcz=w1164-h872-no

Micro cell squall off Indian Key, 10,000 Islands, in the aforementioned GB 49MY, rolling hitch snubber. At the end of the anchor chain was, wait for it...... a CQR anchor. All held together for about an hour until storm passed and then plain old wind and on into the next day.

Picture not showing up for me.

I really don't have a problem with using a CQR in Socal. Mine works great!

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 93
Hey CODGER,

Wow that sure is a pretty anchor!! Does it wax good? LOL

Tom +1. :)

Wouldn't that scratch up on a (somewhat) rocky bottom?

Here is my snubber a friend made about 4 years ago. I need to change the hook part as the salt water has taken its toll. I used it almost every time I threw the anchor.

Attachments

• IMG_8271.jpg
    IMG_8271.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 112
Picture not showing up for me.

Archie, that's funny, it shows up in your reply. I take it you are using a Safari browser? Try something more robust like Chrome. In the meantime see attachment.

Attachments

• 10,000 Islands Storm_1.jpg
    10,000 Islands Storm_1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 106
in high winds, your boat will yaw out sideways

You should be in a Navigator! It’s flat bottom (planing hull) and high windage, has us “kiting” around like crazy at anchor. Even in only above average wind conditions. It is the cross we must bare for having a go-fast hull, I suppose.

Archie, that's funny, it shows up in your reply. I take it you are using a Safari browser? Try something more robust like Chrome. In the meantime see attachment.

Yes safari. Now that’s a blow. Lol

Yes safari. Now that’s a blow. Lol

Off topic: Chrome and Mozilla both work great on Macs, that's what we use on our iMac and my now-deceased MacBook Pro (which I replaced with a Chromebook, supposed to be temporary but two years later finally donated the MacBook to a computer repair class).

You should be in a Navigator! It’s flat bottom (planing hull) and high windage, has us “kiting” around like crazy at anchor. Even in only above average wind conditions. It is the cross we must bare for having a go-fast hull, I suppose.

We are not a planning hull, but we swing pretty good as we don't have much of a keel. A little whisper and off we go.:nonono::eek:

My planing hull has a bit of a keel, but not much. Most of the water resistance is pretty far back. So in light winds we basically do 180s in place. In gusty winds the bow blows off, we head sideways downwind, then forward (still sideways to the wind), then the bow gets pulled around and off we go again in the next gust. I've seen 1.5 kts on the plotter while doing this.

Having the back canvas up helps significantly by adding windage aft. Last night with no wakes and a pretty steady (both direction and speed) wind around 18 kts we were just yawing back and forth maybe 10 degrees or so fairly slowly and not moving around much at all. So when it gets nasty at anchor, my solution is to add more canvas. Eventually hanging a dinghy in davits will probably help more.

I disagree with Rich a little bit, but anyway here is a photo of the rig Comodave mentioned, same we used happily hundreds of nights on the hook.
All boats will horse a little bit; weight makes a difference.

2fnrI9fmwigr9VH9YefX1odj1fADpQ1qHt4n1WGEZXIctZV2Y6wxCg6XTdHH-v5Z0zK8vOypbhqETGDlpPkv1JP649XqxK-Taq0XEqO7ooI28R7tRFvAE9kIo83yEnB5nEj3qc0XvylZKjbLxyoxDq5t8eKT9RTk5C87BYJOz1JgcHDUeykh4n94OBS0-f-6X7kTyBC1K7CHORKc4e5C6I7yRlAjudyAKfkc_znxuoSQhAR9ylBiyGr-yZ2MzIVRga6XG0xL0oc8pCzY8FfhSQawfWItcjiU86LSxuUFmZDdIoSXDfaN7xEV5ENnLFaW2My6Ks9FAwD1Ykq_SdmL8Ha_DOjlEmkIYNaj3_-92lcBq7Lqr_qxbZTAQ2HAEjimajfljyiXGbCV5sBCzhCQnG_A21sjrMVmfF5OEMsrzljtxjpxN6kcarjCGP_AK3sqmySTXkejtR2Hc4kUlT2RB7obsVHkKAiHdlegfCQRWsk5W8ZeoaIAup0Xq4hNLyxTGWAhS5iZPuJHvkyJBtzghySFO1sZzphi08VLTSHN6UWXrK85i1ypG7twHWmXb_XMx0ecZh-3lNOQTKRg6zcIF6lLCzZe3Pwqy5u90NCe2Q9HXKO3ONVYR8_-TMnZ5B4DVBIL0TDPqyx6YbQfPE43OCtaoEfj4JSLa_Z9D6lfkD92BiUAcLSFTv92Cq1T=w1000-h671-no

I've sat nicely at anchor with a line attached to the chain with a rolling hitch and run out a hawse, including in severe squall on a GB49MY we chartered. Or sometimes out the anchor chute with chafe protection (which is a good idea to use regardless of your method). So play around and see what works for you.

I had one of those notched plates, but it simply would not work from the narrow hawses on my GB42. I once tried securing the two lines to it to my midship cleats, which just resulted in a mess with lines rubbing on the bottom paint. I went back to my single braided snubber out of one of the hawses and just let her yaw like a wild pony.

My planing hull has a bit of a keel, but not much. Most of the water resistance is pretty far back. So in light winds we basically do 180s in place. In gusty winds the bow blows off, we head sideways downwind, then forward (still sideways to the wind), then the bow gets pulled around and off we go again in the next gust. I've seen 1.5 kts on the plotter while doing this.

Having the back canvas up helps significantly by adding windage aft. Last night with no wakes and a pretty steady (both direction and speed) wind around 18 kts we were just yawing back and forth maybe 10 degrees or so fairly slowly and not moving around much at all. So when it gets nasty at anchor, my solution is to add more canvas. Eventually hanging a dinghy in davits will probably help more.

Try a drogue aft if there is any current.

I have the ports on the bow for mooring lines. How would the boat ride the wind if I put a single snubber line through one of the holes only? Should I use a Y setup and use both holes for the snubber setup?

Dave

That's the setup we have used for 30yrs. We have found that it holds the bow slightly off the wind and does reduce sailing.

We call yawing around at anchor "the dance". It makes it the experience sound romantic.
Common usage: "...we're dancing tonight, baby..."

Hey CODGER,

Wow that sure is a pretty anchor!! Does it wax good? LOL
Any sailor knows you never wax a polished SS anchor. You buff it with a miracle rag! We picked this grille out because it matches our SS anchor.

Attachments

• Barbeque.jpg
    Barbeque.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
That's the setup we have used for 30yrs. We have found that it holds the bow slightly off the wind and does reduce sailing.

I think it's boat dependent. On mine, if it's gusty, it sails slightly worse off a bow cleat, as the offset isn't enough to help and the attachment being a little further back hurts.

Doesn't show up on Chrome, here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom