MMSI Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Anyone have any insight to the process for transferring an FCC-issued MMSI to the new owner of a boat? Clearly I'd rather have the existing MMSI transferred to me rather than needing to have multiple devices programmed with a new MMSI.

All my experience with this process has been BoatUs-issued MMSIs.

From poking around I *think* what needs to happen is to submit an FCC Form 603 ("FCC Application for Assignments of Authorization or Transfers of Control: Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety Homeland Security Bureau") but before starting down that path I'm hoping to hear from someone who actually knows the correct process.

If we were to sell our vessel, I'd not transfer the MMSIs. Nor would I want someone else's. In this day and age of detail and data stealing I view the privacy of MMSI as a credit card , password or SS number.

If we were to sell our vessel, I'd not transfer the MMSIs. Nor would I want someone else's. In this day and age of detail and data stealing I view the privacy of MMSI as a credit card , password or SS number.

Can you be a bit more specific on what you see as the risk?

You can transfer it. Instructions here: https://www.fcc.gov/ship-radio-stations

You need to create an FRN account. The previous owner needs to submit form 603 releasing it. Then you apply for it. It's not intuitive on the website but they are responsive to email questions.

From the instructions:

Assigning or Transferring a Ship Station License

Subject to the FCC's advance approval, you may assign a Ship Station License (as when you are selling a vessel) or transfer control of a Ship Station License (as when there is a change in the ownership of the licensee or its parent company). To obtain the FCC's approval for the assignment or transfer of control, you must file FCC Form 603. There is no fee required. After the transaction is consummated, the assignee/transferee must file a notification of consummation using Schedule D of FCC Form 603. The notification of consummation must be filed within thirty (30) days of the actual consummation. (It must also be filed within six months after the FCC gives public notice of its consent to the application.)

We went through this process for the radios (VHF/SSB/EPIRB and AIS). Took a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.

Also, pretty sure the USBoat license is US only and the FCC license is international.

Why bother? This might be controversial but the MMSI is not all that useful. You can change the registration of an EPIRB simply by going online. You can update the AIS boat name using a USB cable and a freely available program. Nobody seems to rely on the MMSI in a VHF. Heck, last year my VHF started blaring an DSC alarm and I had to turn it off because it was non-intuitive how to quit the alarm, nor was any meaningful information displayed. Also, it is my understanding that first responders do not rely on data in the MMSI data base.

Last edited:

To remain legal when you sell your vessel:

How to Update or Change an MMSI Registration

If your MMSI registration information or contact information changes for any reason, you must update your registration. If you sell your DSC-equipped radio or AIS or the boat these devices are mounted on, you must cancel your MMSI registration and should inform the new owner of the need to reregister the MMSI. This is necessary to ensure that the Coast Guard is able to contact the right persons if a distress situation were ever to occur.
From USCG Maritime Mobile Service Indentity
(Bolding is mine)

I tried to transfer mine many years ago and was never successful.
Not going to bother any more.
Hopefully the "system" is better now.

To remain legal when you sell your vessel:

From USCG Maritime Mobile Service Indentity
(Bolding is mine)

The confusion is in the wording. The OP queried as to transfer whereas the proper way, as you note, is to cancel and re-register MMSI devices.

Personally I'd cancel and throw away any Class B AIS units or EPIRBs on a used boat if I were to buy a vessel so equipped. New ones are cheap and the registering process simple.

Last year we had a new battery installed in our EPIRB, ouch for $$. A new DSC VHF is so much better than its older cousins. We wax eloquent on TF about buying new gizmos, MMSI devices are indeed those types of gizmos.

Last edited:
As I learn more I think it was a mistake for me to phrase this question in terms of the MMSI. What I'm really looking at is assigning/transferring the Ship License of which the MMSI is one component.

Airstream quotes what I think is the language enabling this action.

I'm contacting the FCC to confirm process for doing this.

From talking to the FCC desk handling these issues:

If the sale of the vessel has not taken place, the license can be assigned or transferred (the difference between those two things is mired in legalities).

If the sale of the vessel has already taken place (my case), the proper procedure is for the PO to cancel the license, and then I can apply for a new license specifying the existing MMSI I want to include in the license.

So, no reason to have the existing radios reprogrammed.

If the sale of the vessel has not taken place, the license can be assigned or transferred (the difference between those two things is mired in legalities).

If the sale of the vessel has already taken place (my case), the proper procedure is for the PO to cancel the license, and then I can apply for a new license specifying the existing MMSI I want to include in the license.

Very helpful information! Thank you!

Why bother? This might be controversial but the MMSI is not all that useful. ... You can update the AIS boat name using a USB cable and a freely available program. Nobody seems to rely on the MMSI in a VHF.

I am curious how you are able to buy a (transmitting) AIS in the first place without having an MMSI, which the seller then programs in before you can buy it. I was shopping for an AIS earlier this winter and every place I looked at to possibly buy it (Fisheries, Defender, Milltech Marine, others) required that you have an MMSI and give it to them so they could program the unit before sending it to you.

Do you find them used and then do your thing with a USB cable?

Last edited:

This is the process we used. Seller cancelled, we applied with the same number, new vessel name. Easy.

I am curious how you are able to buy a (transmitting) AIS in the first place without having an MMSI, which the seller then programs in before you can buy it. I was shopping for an AIS earlier this winter and every place I looked at to possibly buy it (Fisheries, Defender, Milltech Marine, others) required that you have an MMSI and give it to them so they could program the unit before sending it to you.

Do you find them used and then do your thing with a USB cable?

I have the same question. We’re commissioning a new boat and I want to set up my AIS to broadcast our MMSI. Any pointers for tips on how to do this?

I bought a boat with all electronics allready registered. Call the FCC to transfer a MMSI. The seller must release the MMSI by:

1. Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password.
2. If you are taken to the My Applications page after logging in, click the My Licenses link in the navigation menu on the left. Then click the Cancel License link to start the application.
3. Select the license(s), click the Add button and click the Continue button to navigate through the application.
4. Sign your application by typing your name in the boxes provided and click the Submit Application button.

About 24 hours later the license will be relesed. You then login to the same FCC site and apply for a new license. The application will ask if the vessel has a MMSI. As long as it is in the system as "Relesed", you can pick it up. If the seller does not relese it, the system will error and tell you "The MMSI is currently assigned".

For a new license, using the boat's current MMSI with International License was $220.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom