Most Important Dock Hand Skills & Traits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
I've been meeting with & providing boater inputs to the "owners" & Mgmt of our newly rebuilt marina. This is their first full year of operation following a partial season last year.
They are really striving to make this marina a stand-out in our area and want to do things that make a positive statement for boaters.
In addition to a first class total rebuild of the marina they have completed construction of a new Ships Store, (card access) boaters rest rooms / showers and laundry facilities.

They are finishing up work on rental cabins and seasonal / long term RV sites. Next chapter includes a "multi-purpose" Bistro type facility with food, drinks and entertainment.

They have 2 returning and 3 new dock hands and I volunteered to pull together and deliver a workshop to help train them, from a boaters perspective.

I have my inputs and suggestion but thought I'd tap the vast experience of TF cruisers.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

What are the top 3 Skills, or Traits that you would value in a dock hand?

Know how to secure a vessel in all conditions, especially those that are unique to your marina. Have a hand held and use it to give the skipper any, short, unique info he needs for his slip assignment. Don't plan on a conversation, he has his hands full and has already spoken to the office.

Be courteous to the wife at all times, regardless of what they may think of what she is doing. We have likely honed our process over many years. It is likely the crew will take your direction but if the missus asks you to do something specific please do it unless you feel it is unsafe or will not work for your marina. It may not be exactly how you would do it, or were trained by the marina to do it, however, they know their boat and she knows the wishes of the captain...

Do not expect a tip. Most cases you will get one but don't clearly hover around waiting for one. If the boat has just come in from a 12 hour run they have things to do after tying up. If they didn't hand you a five after you helped secure the boat and plug in the power say "have a great stay," and walk off. Hopefully they will find you once settled. If not, I'm sorry, some people are like that, but don't annoy the majority because of the few.

I know you asked or two or three, but have a fourth. Don't hang around yakking and BS'ing. The folks are probably tired and want to set with a beer and enjoy the moment. Be there, be good, be gone.

OK, I'm going to give you a fifth. After 30 minutes or so swing by and just make sure there is nothing they need or any information required. One simple question; "sir, m'am, I hope you are all settled, is there anything more I can do for you?" Chances are, if you didn't get your tip, you will then.

Last edited:
Don't expect a tip, let it be a surprise.

Never, ever hand a fuel pump nozzle with out hearing gas or diesel. Always confirm diesel by smell.

Take them all to the parking lot and empty an old fire extinguisher at a sidavcan burning with lighter fluid.

Talk about how to handle a marina fire, heart attack, drowning on property, and drunks.

Don't get on a customer's boat unless an emergency.

Never fall in between a boat and dock, especially near the stern.

Sorry, a sixth. Learn to wave like a lunatic! Especially if it is a large or confusing marina.

It is amazing how much it helps when trying to eyeball the slip your are aiming for, not just for the captain but for the crew, who now is assured there is help waiting on the dock.

Pretty much every time we go into a marina I say to Sian over the head set - "do you see him, waving to your right/left?" and get confirmation.

The directions from the marina office may always be accurate but not always the clearest from the aspect of an approaching vessel.

Last edited:
Hate it when the marina staff are only concerned about your length but not one's beam. Have had rubber stripes along the hull while squeezing into a berth. Once was enough.

Hate it when the marina staff are only concerned about your length but not one's beam. Have had rubber stripes along the hull while squeezing into a berth. Once was enough.

Did the marina office not ask for your beam and draft when you booked the slip? If not, you should make sure to provide it.

When the first mate hands you a line from his/her boat, hang onto it without pulling on the line/boat if the boat is coming in without difficulty. Most good, experienced first mates will tell you what to do with the line. Ask if the first mate does not give directions. If the boat is getting blown off then wrap the line around the cleat and help pull the boat in. Learn to use the cleat for advantage

Learn to cleat a line. Properly. Most boaters don't enjoy undoing the macrame off the cleat.

Boaters assisting other boaters come into a slip or dock needs to follow the above too.

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,411
Last edited:
Don't expect a tip, let it be a surprise.

Never, ever hand a fuel pump nozzle with out hearing gas or diesel. Always confirm diesel by smell.

Take them all to the parking lot and empty an old fire extinguisher at a sidavcan burning with lighter fluid.

Talk about how to handle a marina fire, heart attack, drowning on property, and drunks.

Don't get on a customer's boat unless an emergency.

Never fall in between a boat and dock, especially near the stern.

Great tips though I'd reconsider Firefighting training. Consult with you local FD about that. As a former Firefighter I'd tell them "Don't become part of the problem" and call 911 even if someone said it's already done. Then I'd stress moving boats await from the fire. What they do as far as attacking the fire is a game day decision for the dock hand.

Just to be clear, I think Don was asking what we as boaters would like to see from marina employees over and above what the marina would be doing - such as the safety, firefighting, fueling.

Is that not what he is after? The softer things that would make boaters lives better and enhance the reputation of the marina

Listen to the customer!

You will encounter train wrecks that drive boats and it will take all your skill to limit the damage when they dock. You will also encounter competent skippers that have skills beyond your grasp. With experience, you will be able to judge quickly which you are dealing with. When the competent skipper asks you to put the loop through the cleat and over the horns, he's going to determine the slack on his end. If he says to put this line over that cleat for a spring line, just do it. Save your "let's do it my way" directions for the train wrecks.

Ted

Listen to the customer!

You will encounter train wrecks that drive boats and it will take all your skill to limit the damage when they dock. You will also encounter competent skippers that have skills beyond your grasp. With experience, you will be able to judge quickly which you are dealing with. When the competent skipper asks you to put the loop through the cleat and over the horns, he's going to determine the slack on his end. If he says to put this line over that cleat for a spring line, just do it. Save your "let's do it my way" directions for the train wrecks.

Ted

They'll learn to recognize the train wrecks. The first mate will have a look of total terror on her face and the couple are yelling at each other.

Did the marina office not ask for your beam and draft when you booked the slip? If not, you should make sure to provide it.

Had a fellow boater make the arrangement. :banghead:

In the SF Bay Area, it seems most berths were designed around sailboats, which are commonly narrower for a given length compared to motorboats. Or do I have a fat boat?

Last edited:
Sorry, a sixth. Learn to wave like a lunatic! Especially if it is a large or confusing marina.

It is amazing how much it helps when trying to eyeball the slip your are aiming for, not just for the captain but for the crew, who now is assured there is help waiting on the dock.

Pretty much every time we go into a marina I say to Sian over the head set - "do you see him, waving to your right/left?" and get confirmation.

The directions from the marina office may always be accurate but not always the clearest from the aspect of an approaching vessel.

As a corollary to that I would add that during the brief radio conversation the dockhand should give specific directions, not just a slip number. I've had several instances where I'm told something like, "Go to slip B32 and someone will meet you", but it's hard to know which fairway is "B" (sometimes B is on both sides on one dock), and if the slip is to port or starboard, etc., all while I'm also trying to assess wind, current, height of dock for fenders, and so on. I find directions like, "Turn into the third fairway, then Slip B32 is about halfway down on your starboard side. I'll be waving to you from the slip" to be much more useful!

When the first mate hands you a line from his/her boat, hang onto it without pulling on the line/boat if the boat is coming in without difficulty. Most good, experienced first mates will tell you what to do with the line. Ask if the first mate does not give directions. If the boat is getting blown off then wrap the line around the cleat and help pull the boat in. Learn to use the cleat for advantage

Learn to cleat a line. Properly. Most boaters don't enjoy undoing the macrame off the cleat.

Listen to the customer!

Yes.

And dockhands should know how, why, and when spring lines work.

Also, they need to understand there's often a single moment in time when docking is going to be as-planned, elegant even... especially with spring lines... and it goes downhill from there. So usually when asked to put a line somewhere, it means RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! to make things go well from then on.

-Chris

Just to be clear, I think Don was asking what we as boaters would like to see from marina employees over and above what the marina would be doing - such as the safety, firefighting, fueling.

Is that not what he is after? The softer things that would make boaters lives better and enhance the reputation of the marina
Exactly... but I also have the ability to make some thoughtful recommendations to mgmt about further training. We actually had a fire extinguisher exercise planned that got cancelled due to CV-19 but will find a way to make that happen as things loosen up.
Thanks gang and keep them coming.

Bow in, stern in, Stbd side to, port side to
Special requirement 30/50 amp service
Service fwd, service aft.
Asks for tidal change and current state of the tide.
Cold beer available ?

Last edited:
Make the slips easy to find. Coloured caps on piles, large clear letters showing which fairway you are in, and slip numbers facing the incoming vessel.

I'm with Mark on the beam thing, but with the caveat of knowing the real beam of a slip. My father has a good story of telling a marina he needed a slip for a 15 foot beam, knowing he'd be coming in on a breezy day and their slips are a bit tight. Boat was really only 14 foot beam. And yet, they gave him a slip where he took one look and said "no way we're fitting in there", and they insisted 15 feet would fit fine. Slip was probably 13'8", as he made it half way in and bumped the pilings on both sides, at which point they provided a wider slip.

Pretty much agree with Ted. Ask how they can help the captain.
They should know how to tie a cleat properly, clove hitch, bowline.
They need to understand what a spring line is and that most of the time a mid ship line should be first on.
And of course understand how winds and currents will affect a boat.

1) The captain and crew are operating and docking the boat, not you. Follow directions, don't give them. If asked a question, answer. If there is total mayhem with a clueless operator, then offer suggestions.

2) Be clear on slip number, where to find it, port or starboad side tie, bow in or stern in. Also, post a map of your slip layout on your web site, including a downloadable PDF. When available, I bring those up in advance and my wife and I both locate the slip, route to it, and confirm bow/stern port/starboard. It's really helpful to have the whole approach and required maneuvers in your head in advance.

3) Offer to help with tying up, shore power, water, etc., but if declined, make yourself scarce. I also like Mensies suggestion to come by again in 30-60 minutes to see if there is anything else you need.

I was a dock boy during my junior year of college at our local yacht club and saw it all.

1. The commodore returned to his boat a little tipsy with his wife. Up the stairs to the flush deck side entry, missed the step, bashed his head and in he went. By the time we got there (less than 45 seconds) he was face down in the middle of the harbor. Know how to (and practice) remove a 250 lb unconscious man from the water. Also understand CPR, defibrillator, and basic triage.

2. Know who belongs in the marina and who does not. Know your customers and their needs.

3. Limit your beer intake and keep your hands off the members daughters.

[FONT=&quot]We recently visited a stunningly large, fresh and sophisticated port in France. Port Camargue. It stands above all others in our 11 years European boating memories. I’ve listed below some of the memorable things about the service there. I realize a few of these items might require more investment than possible for most marinas, but nevertheless some of the concepts might be implementable on a smaller scale.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1) There was a reception dock where one could temporarily tie up to get further instructions on where to moor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) Marina staff were ready to assist with lines, etc. if desired. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) Marina staff had motorized RIBs they could use to assist new arrivals with docking, if necessary[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) We witnessed two occasions where marina staff boarded approaching "train wrecks" (with permission) and performed the docking maneuvers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) Once docked, the attending dock hand presented us with a welcome pack containing marina rates, rules and other info, local maps, shopping and rental car information, etc., etc. This answered about 110% of our usual questions and was a really nice touch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) Marina staff had the authority to "bend" rules and fees to accommodate unique situations (i.e. make WiFi access free for a few days...or more, provide extra access cards for visiting guests for restrooms, provide marina bicycle privileges for visiting guests, etc)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) Restrooms/Shower facilities were cleaned every two hours and brought to mind the facilities one would expect at a fine country club[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) There was a small air-conditioned lounge/library area with relaxing music[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) Marina staff were willing to print out a couple of documents that had nothing to do with our stay there. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) Marina staff had created an “exhibit wall” of photos showing the development and evolution of the marina over the years. Quite interesting.[/FONT]

Attachments

• PORT_CAMARGUE__FRANCE_2079276118.jpg
    PORT_CAMARGUE__FRANCE_2079276118.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 77
A proper docking procedure takes a little longer than coming in hot and hoping the dock staff will fix everything for you. Tell them to be patient when people try to do it right.
BD

Another thought triggered by Scott's post.

If the marina requires a bow tie to off-the-finger piles the dock hands should be first well trained on how to do it and secondly have training on how to properly ask if the owners would like them to come aboard and do it.

Many times my petite wife struggles to get lines around bow piles and has welcomed dock hands aboard to do it for her the couple of times it has been offered.

There is no sense being proud and struggling.

They need to know how to "Hit the Brakes" for the boat. I once had a small girl try to overpower my boats inertia by pulling hard on a deck line. They need to know that a quick half wrap on a cleat is the only way to slow down a boat from the dock.

They also need to know how to use their "outside" voice.

I have found most dock hands to be young and willing, mostly pretty well trained. Always friendly. If they have earned a tip I give a couple bucks. If they have not earned it, they don't get it.

pete

Menzies has some excellent points, especially coming by a few minutes later and asking if there is anything they need. If they are transients, they might want some local marina layout info or nearby restaurant/grocery/laundry suggestions. Hailing the captain of a transient vessel and letting him or her know which side to rig fenders for tie up, current wind and current conditions, etc is invaluable. And standing on the dock and waving like a fool is also helpful.

1) The captain and crew are operating and docking the boat, not you. Follow directions, don't give them. If asked a question, answer. If there is total mayhem with a clueless operator, then offer suggestions.

2) Be clear on slip number, where to find it, port or starboad side tie, bow in or stern in. Also, post a map of your slip layout on your web site, including a downloadable PDF. When available, I bring those up in advance and my wife and I both locate the slip, route to it, and confirm bow/stern port/starboard. It's really helpful to have the whole approach and required maneuvers in your head in advance.

3) Offer to help with tying up, shore power, water, etc., but if declined, make yourself scarce. I also like Mensies suggestion to come by again in 30-60 minutes to see if there is anything else you need.
Over the years I've found that those well "intended folks" wanting to help you dock can really screw up an otherwise good landing. Grabbing and pulling on lines, etc. when you wanted the boat to drift as planned. All I want to know is:

1) Exactly where the slip is.
2) The beam of the slip.
3) Any other info I need--I'll ask. (Phone, hailer, outside voice, etc.)

Now, that said, I really like TT's list of things to know when entering a strange (to me) marina. As is the case when flying and landing at an unfamiliar airport, ground control is very welcome & concise in their directions.

Attachments

• landing 1.jpg
    landing 1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 52
  • landing 2.jpg
    landing 2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 51
[FONT=&quot]We recently visited a stunningly large, fresh and sophisticated port in France. Port Camargue. It stands above all others in our 11 years European boating memories.

Ummm.... Wow!!! The place is huge!!!!

-Chris

Some really good suggestions so far.
First off, clear marina markings (some need it more than others due to size, complexity, etc.) readable from the water and understandable from a boaters viewpoint.
Second, clear directions for navigating from the marina entrance to the slip. This coupled with the first one should remove some anxiety for first timers to your marina.
Third, clearly visible marina staff at the slip. They can be wearing bright coloured shirts (like a uniform), and/or wildly waving until acknowledged by the boat (crew).
Marina crew well trained in line handling, and the physics of docking, such as spring lines, breast line, the idea of a pivot point, etc. As well, understanding the comments of some other posters regarding "not doing too much" unless asked, or unless it is apparent that intervention is needed. Eg. securing the bow line early and short is usually not good :)
Knowledge about special docking considerations for their marina and being able to relay that info to the incoming boater would be good (eg. unusual tidal currents, wind issues, etc.).
After the docking, some good suggestions from others. Having staff that are friendly, such as smile and say hello, or who are willing to briefly stop to "chat" when it seems the boater would like that, also goes a long way to making a stay more enjoyable. Having local knowledge, regarding services, restaurant recommendations, etc. is good as well.
Marinas may be hesitant allowing staff onboard a boat to either handle or place lines may be an issue for liability (to say nothing of actually operating the boat as one suggested).
Basic safety training is essential. Conducting marina crew scenario response drills during training and maybe part way through the season is a good idea as well.

Back
Top Bottom