View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #16
Sabre602

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
I have no personal experience with the Duwamish situation, but I lived aboard in Ballard for years, just inside the locks, and loved basically never having to clean the bottom. The flip side was the inconvenience of having to lock in and out.

Would the tide/depth situation really be that much more inconvenient? We would often have long waits both leaving and returning home, so much so on busy weekends and holidays that it meant having to adjust our schedule quite a bit. I'm not sure that coordinating with the tide would really be much more of a PITA. Consider that many residents of BC have to time virtually all their outings with tidal currents in many areas.

As for having the boat take to the mud, I wouldn't be concerned. You obviously wouldn't run the engine, and there's no black or gray water discharge permitted at any time, so that wouldn't be any different. For many, many sailors in places like the UK, this is a routine part of their boating experience. Google "mud berth" to learn more.

I'd definitely want to learn more from people who actually moor their boats there before ruling this option out.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote