Adding LED light to Racor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
Over the winter I changed out the old Racor 900FM to a new Racor 900MA. I changed the fuel lines to and from the filter along with a shutoff valve that is mounted off the filter. The old shutoff was plumbed so that it hung off the filter itself. I also added a small LED light behind the bowl on the filter that comes on with the engine room lights. It makes it very easy to see if there is anything in the bowl or not. It is much easier than a flashlight since it back lights the bowl. I added a WIF sensor that is connected to our Borel alarm system. And I added the Racor primer pump that makes it simple to bleed the Racor and the secondaries on the engine. It is the black part of the filter at the top of the photo.

Attachments

• 77EE6373-8B0F-46C6-86D5-7FFF74D034FE.jpg
    77EE6373-8B0F-46C6-86D5-7FFF74D034FE.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 71
How does the primer pump work? Does it refill the reservoir?

How does the primer pump work? Does it refill the reservoir?

After you install the primer pump you have to manually prime it the first time. From then on you engage the pump and it will fill the Racor and the secondary filters. It makes it simple to prime the secondaries, just crack the priming screw and turn the pump on for a few seconds and the filter is full. Repeat for the second element of the secondaries. I put a push button switch for each priming pump, I have twin engines, so it is easy to activate and also easy to turn it off so I don’t spill fuel all over.

I added a squeeze bulb priming system complete with shutoffs to isolate the squeeze bulb except when actually priming. It works well. Found the info and the product on Tony Athen's website. The photo shows a "shortened" version from his web page. Between the squeeze bulb and the on engine hand pump, no problem priming the system.

Attachments

• squeeze bulb shortening.jpg
    squeeze bulb shortening.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 19
The thing I like about the Racor priming pump is that it only adds 3” in height to the Racor filter. I don’t have to mount any extra valves or hand or electric pumps. I don’t have a lot of free real estate in the engine room so any time I can save on space it is a win.

Back
Top Bottom