Smokey Volvo Penta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveInOz

Vessel Name
Vespa
Vessel Make
Mariner 3400 1987
Greetings all,
I have twin 200hp Volvo Penta's (TAMD41) and on start up they smoke out the marina. After they warm up they are just a little better but still extremely bad. When I am cruising along they are fine, but when I'm at the marina their bad.
I went for a cruise for a couple of hours yesterday and after I returned to my berth I noticed they were smoking badly again, so naturally I shut them down so as not to smoke everyone else out. Normally after a cruise their ok but yesterday, they let me down sadly.
Can anyone tell me how to address this without changing the injector tips. I am hoping there is a fuel additive that may work but I would like to hear what other experienced boaties do to solve this issue as I am sure I am not the only one with this problem.
Many thanks in advance.

First off, Welcome Aboard.

Now lets address your problem. Rebuilding the injectors is not all that bad of a job, it will cost you about $100 per injector but that may not be the place to start.

The first thing I would look at is your fuel. How old is it? Additives may help some but if it is older than about four years or so your only real option is to get rid of it. As long as it still burns reasonably well, just run it through the engine. If new fuel does not correct the problem, pull the injectors

pete

Thanks Pete for such a fast response. The engines have had a lot of fuel through them in the last 12 months so I don't think there is a problem there. I'm guessing next will be injectors. I was hoping for an easy fix as I have poured so much money into this boat over the last 12 months also, but having said that I want to do it right.
Cheers Steve

Back
Top Bottom