AIS Details information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Vessel Name
Lady Anne
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen KK42
We’ve had an AIS transponder aboard for a couple of years and find it to be a great aid to navigation. When I look at different AIS apps on my phone or PC to see the details and info on other vessels some of the them include a picture of the boat. How do I include a photo of our vessel in the AIS registration?

Those photos are all part of the app, like MarineTraffic.com. AIS itself doesn't have photos.

Reactions: Rob
Going along with what TT said, I have noticed -- when looking at boats on those websites (apps) -- that there is often a spot where you can add details about your boat if you wish, including a photo.

Ironically, someone posted a picture on our record on MarineTraffic of a blow boat with Gopher Broke clearly just Photoshopped onto the side. Not a lot we can do. Reported it but nothing has happened

Going along with what TT said, I have noticed -- when looking at boats on those websites (apps) -- that there is often a spot where you can add details about your boat if you wish, including a photo.

Or someone else can do it for (to) you. That's happened to us... No harm done in our case (so far, that I know of), just a bit weird...

-Chris

Yes, we learned there are self-described "ship spotters" who use AIS to go around to take, and post, pictures of ships and boats. Someone posted a really nice picture of ours going by some bridge in NYC in a rainstorm. I saved it.

Another time I was doing a delivery, pulling into a dock and a guy on a passing boat said he'd be posting the boat's picture to MarineTraffic or one of those. Looked it up later and sure enough, there I was!

Back
Top Bottom