View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
jaredjensen

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: 1988 Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Intermittent waste tank odor

We have an intermittent waste tank odor in our new-to-us Ranger Tug R29 Classic with a fresh water Tecma Easy Fit toilet. The manual shows a joker valve where the toilet connects to the boat plumbing, but ours just has an open coupling with no valve. I'm unsure if it came this way from the factory or was changed by the PO.

My current theory is that there's enough of a dip in the hose from the toilet to the tank to create a p-trap, but that minor rocking, etc causes enough water to dump to the tank to lose the air block. This was evident the other day as we came off plane and got an immediate strong smell. Also notable, I added water to the bowl and noticed occasional bubbling. Unfortunately, I can't view the area under the head to confirm the hose routing.

I've already added a Big Orange vent filter and confirmed air flow through the vent plumbing, so I'm thinking we need to add a joker valve like this one:
https://marinesan.com/straight-check-valve/

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! Also, I just ordered "The New Get Rid of Boat Odors" and am looking forward to learning a lot.
jaredjensen is offline   Reply With Quote