How to edit my posting please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Can't find an "Edit" link to my For Sale posting and I need to change some things, Thanks, Stuart
PS why are photos posted sideways or upside down when submitted correctly?

Stuart: I’ll send a pm to you about editing. The short answer is you need to contact someone from the Site Team.

As far as the pictures loading sideways or upside down, if you hold the phone upright and take a photo, so the photo is vertical or portrait, then the actual image file is technically horizontal, as all photos are "sideways", (think of a 4x6 photo coming out of the printer), you would need to turn the photo right side up to view it vertically. This is the same with a digital photo. When you view on a computer, or upload, you may see the image sideways. If so, then would then need to rotate the image using your photo viewing or editing software.

After the image is rotated, then you can upload it and it will appear correctly. This may vary based on your computer software, browser and/or camera/phone.

Thx
Any and all images had been rotated correctly before submission. None were submitted sideways or upside down to this Forum, nor have I had difficulty anywhere else sending or submitting photos.
How to find the Site Team please? Did not find any link, maybe I missed it. Thank you

Last edited:
Thx
Any and all images had been rotated correctly before submission. None were submitted sideways or upside down to this Forum, nor have I had difficulty anywhere else sending or submitting photos.

I've had similar experiences with posting photos but using the 'preview post' feature of the site's reply function will reveal how the photos will appear on the site regardless how they appear on your computer. From there you can adjust them to appear as you'd prefer. There's a new or recently updated 'Sticky' at the top of this sub-forum that describes many of the details of posting pics and how to overcome the complications most have encountered. I recommend reviewing it if you haven't already.

Best of luck!

Greg. (not a mod or official helper but one also occasionally frustrated with the forum software)

Larry, don't know if my message got through to you, but it is the 1974 Carter Safari For Sale, first page, that I cannot edit.
Re pix, iPhone 7, Macbook Pro, and I rotate them on my phone editing system to correct any original images not right side up when the photo was taken.

Greg, Are you saying in Preview one can make image corrections? Will read the Sticky, have not done so yet
Thanks

Larry, My PM replies to you do not appear so I do not know if they are being received, but my post was: 28' Twin turbo diesel, legal trailer... on 05-06-2020 at 3:58 PM. Obviously, the date is incorrect and I did not see a posting number, it is about 10 or so down from the top
Thx

Larry
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Nice boat you have!
Cheers
Stuart

Greg, Are you saying in Preview one can make image corrections? Will read the Sticky, have not done so yet
Thanks

Preview shows how it will appear but doesn't provide the editing capability to fix it. If the photo in preview doesn't appear as you'd like, you'll have to delete that photo, adjust the photo on your computer, flipping/rotating as needed, and then upload and apply the modified version. Not incredibly convenient, but it works.

As Larry M suggested, a way to avoid the hassle is to experiment a bit and determine how your camera/phone must be held to provide the necessary photo orientation.

Greg.

Greg, OK, no editing in Preview, that's all it is. I guess the forum's photo part reads how the original photo was taken and not the edited, corrected version submitted here. Thx

When using the iPhone for taking pics, always have the button side to the right in landscape mode, or bottom if portrait. However, as it seems to be the portrait views that most often go sideways, I usually make a point of using the landscape mode for any pics I know I might want to upload to websites. Also apparently issues like this are less likely if you don't have too many memory-hungry apps open on the phone when pic taking, or sometimes they still come out wrong way round.
But, you probably knew all that...:)

My point is that the photos I submitted were right side up, NOT upside down or sideways. Therefore the forum will not accept my correct photos.
Secondly, why can't I edit my photos or blurb on Classifieds? What if I want to remove or change a photo ? I can't. What if I want to change the price or info on what I am selling? I can't. This is a problem. Thx

My point is that the photos I submitted were right side up, NOT upside down or sideways. Therefore the forum will not accept my correct photos.
Secondly, why can't I edit my photos or blurb on Classifieds? What if I want to remove or change a photo ? I can't. What if I want to change the price or info on what I am selling? I can't. This is a problem. Thx

Even Kiehl, regarding alterations to a classified ad, to do that just PM one of the Moderators, eg me or Larry, or one of the others, ID'd by 'Site Team' under our name in any post, and also accessible from the Moderator list here...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showgroups.php
We are able to go in and do that edit for you.

As to your pics refusing to load right way up - all I can think of is that the camera you have used saves the pics in a digital format that the site sees as upside down. Does rotating them upside down on your computer, then saving them as such, (much as you might hate to do that - keeping the originals as you had them of course), then when uploaded by browsing to those saved & rotated and now upside down photos, load them the right way up ..?
Just wonderin'... :)

Oh, PS. Another quick way to deal with this if you forget all the above, and lost the link there of full Mods list, is to just post a new thread title called 'Help - need to alter a classified ad', or similar, then report that post by clicking on the red alert triangle bottom left of the post under your details. This is supposed to be used to report suspect posts, but we don't mind if you used it to flag this sort of issue.

Last edited:
Hi Pete
Thanks for your time. As I wrote, I have never sent in a photo to any site in any situation sideways or upside down. I adjust cropping, contrast, shadows, exposure, etc and then send the adjusted photo in. For some reason this forum format ignores at least the image placement and defaults to the original. I hold my camera all ways and make any adjustments after without any issues, so it is particular to the forum
I guess it is your policy to not allow edits of images or content by the poster, which I do not understand but that is your policy for whatever reason. If, say, a boat has not sold and the price lowered, one has to go to a mod. Ditto, pix. My main feature photo represents not what I am selling now, so I have to go to a mod and have them remove and replace a few photos. This I will do.
Cheers
Stuart

Stuart, non-one else seems to have the issues you do. So maybe because you are so photo savvy, you are overdoing the preprocessing thing a bit, and I think you said you dod alot of that on your iPhone 7. I use an iPhone 6, and MacBook Air, and have no such issues on this site, unless I forget to rotate a pic on the laptop from portrait to landscape.

Can I suggest you try this. Take a pic of anything, on your iPhone 7 making sure you hold it with button to the right, and landscape position, (ie means camera is top left in front), then don't alter anything on the phone, just email the pic to yourself and in the email on the MacBook Pro, send it to photos. (Just quicker doing this than waiting for an iCloud transfer - do you use iCloud that way as a matter of interest?). Then, just upload that photo from the TF via the Browser on your laptop, not your phone, and see how it turns out. I'd be interested to hear. PM me re this if you prefer.

Hi Peter, Thanks for the suggestions, not a big deal, selling a boat, a pretty special and unique one, if folks might be interested they will contact me. Maybe I am the only one, don't want this to be an issue with anyone or be an annoyance. I don't do anything special, I correct the image before submitting anywhere, and I take the photos in any manner comfortable at the time and I am not going to hold the camera a certain way to post on this forum, if they are sideways so be it...
The larger issue, to me, is why this forum does not permit any editing of the initial posting, or photos? why have to take up the time of the mods to change a photo, details, information etc? Seems people want to update, but here one has to go through The System to even change a photo
Cheers
Stuart

Ok, I'm willing to persevere, as we don't like members feeling frustrated. So here goes...

Hi Peter, Thanks for the suggestions, not a big deal, selling a boat, a pretty special and unique one, if folks might be interested they will contact me.
Just advise me what you need changed in your classified ad, and I'll attend to it Stuart. There is a period where a member can edit their post, but this expires after a certain time, so folk can't go back changing their posts in ways that would render subsequent posts a bit confusing. The length of time that elapses after someone posts a classified often exceeds this period for obvious reasons, hence the need for one of us to do this for you.

Re the photo upload issue (my mod edit)
...I don't do anything special, I correct the image before submitting anywhere, and I take the photos in any manner comfortable at the time and I am not going to hold the camera a certain way to post on this forum, if they are sideways so be it...
Cheers
Stuart

Therein may well lie the issue Stuart. Your editing of the photo before uploading, as others don't often have this issue. Did you try the simple step I suggested - just out of curiosity..? If not, then sorry - can't explain or help further.
Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom