View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #53
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Bruce, Congrats on a great looking boat! I've always thought the Halvorsen/Integrity line would make a great next/final boat for me...if I ever bought another one. Very similar size and layout with much improved creature comforts and more modern interior styling than my 1977 34 LRC Californian. I'm a big fan of the sedan layout with galley up. Twins and a BT must be a luxury! Now you have absolutely NO EXCUSE for banging a dock or lock wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Andy, I`m coming round to "dinghy on swimstep". Frame and crane on FB could cost $8K and you need a trained monkey onboard to climb on the frame and deal with the dinghy attachments. Our new/secondhand dinghy from an abandoned project has dinghy brackets already glued on, so I just need the brackets to fix to the swimstep.
I've debated the same dink issues that you are on a similarly sized boat. My current and best-for-me solution involves swimstep stowage with a fixed transom OB mount and a Garhauer Lifting Davit rated for 150 lbs (68 kg). My empty dink weighs 115 lbs and my 15HP Merc weighs 77 lbs. If you'd like pics, let me know.

I started with a 2HP Honda and a smaller dink rated for 8HP. It was a slow ride so I added the 15HP Merc. That was too much power for that small dink (and a WET ride at planing speed) and at 77 lbs, I needed a davit for safe motor lifting. So, I did what any red blooded male would do...I got a bigger dink and a davit!

Sorry to hear about your Covid restrictions. I just returned from a 65 day cruise of the California Delta. On 3/18, I was heading to the boat for a 3-day fishing trip. It turned out to be 65 days afloat during a global pandemic! Fortunately, there were no boating restrictions here and I found that I pretty much had the waters to myself for the first 45 days. It was heaven! Excepting the three nights the first week at my marina to provision and prepare following lock down notification, I only spent one night on a dock during the trip. It was two glorious months of anchoring and dink rides!

Now, after 65 days afloat during the global pandemic, I know I've found the right combination of cost, ease of launch, and dink utility. Two weeks ago I added a $200 Garmin Striker4 Portable Fishfinder for the dink. It's been great seeing the depth underway and great fun using it to troll for striped bass at the prime of the season in the Delta.

I've also become rather adept (knock wood) at towing on a short tow (1/2 boat length) in the benign conditions of the CA Delta. It's nice to have the option to tow safely vs. lifting it all aboard. Whenever I traverse 2+ ft waters, I hoist her on the step to alleviate the worry or wet dink.

I hope you are able to enjoy your fine vessel as much as anyone here on TF. She looks incredibly well suited for your style of cruising. If you ever decide to take up diving or fishing, you won't need to buy another boat!

Cheers from the Kalifornia Delta!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote