Unequal weighted shaft zincs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
I ordered a bunch of zincs.. diver coming on Tuesday.. and I just noticed that out of the 4 shat zincs, 2 are much beefer (heavier and thicker) than the other 2. All have the correct diameter but each pair have a different weight.

Would it be possible to still install them in a way to mitigate potential vibration issues. For example, one of each weight per shaft?

Thank you all in advance for any guidance that you may share.

Streff

The zincs are small and located close to the shaft center so they should not affect anything.
I like symmetry so I'd put one of each on each shaft in the same location.

Weight does not matter as long as they fit well. Put the bigger ones closer to the props, there is more electrolytic activity there.

Bay view asked an important question. Is one set the new aluminum alloy? Mixing the two means you only get use out of one pair. The other pair oxide over and become useless.

Don’t forget to paint over the bolt area so they don’t fail early and fall off.

Thank you all for the insightful advice. Yes, I am sure all the anodes are Zinc. Two of them are just beefer, so to speak. The shop is ordering from different suppliers these days and I suspect one set was from old inventory and one set from a new supplier.

I am relieved that I can use them all this time.

Thank you much

Streff

"The shop is ordering from different suppliers these days and I suspect one set was from old inventory and one set from a new supplie"

Just be sure there US made and not recast scrap.

Back
Top Bottom