Swim Platform Damage Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Need (once again) the practical advice of TFers on this. Below are a couple of pics of my swim platform. Yes, the teak needs attention – on the list. The major problem is the damaged swim platform. Long story, but I got the boat back from the yard a couple of weeks ago and only noticed the problem today. New platform is not in the plan.

If you look at the space between the two Weaver clips, there is the main platform, then a “slot”, and then an outer member all the way aft. The boat was Med moored in the yard when a squall came through. Apparently, she wasn’t tied off short enough and the swim platform cuddled up to a piling. The outer member is just hanging on – its shattered near each Weaver clip as well as the port clip being ripped out of the platform.

How to repair? Presumably, the outer member could be cut out and a similar wood core, glassed, be keyed in. Oversimplified, but you get the idea.

An idea I had was to have a plate fabbed from marine Al that would horizontally cover a portion of the platform include the Weaver clip bases with a 11/2” flange to cover the area of the broken member. Cut out the damaged portion. Seal the remaining raw cuts on platform with West Sys. Through bolt it to the platform, with sealant between platform and plate.

Questions –

Either one of the above make sense.

Better recommndations?

If the plate was installed, it would be overused and abused teak. Probably need to rip it out. Something to fill with other than replace or NuTeak?

If it’s the Al option, then its going to be in saltwater splashes a lot. There are about 10 grades of “marine Al” – presume some are more corrosion resistant than others? I think an attempt at coating would be a maintenance hassle at best.

TFers have saved me from some real stupid moves – asking again. Appreciate it.

Bill

Attachments

• Panache Swim Platform 1.jpg
    Panache Swim Platform 1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Panache Swim Platform 2.jpg
    Panache Swim Platform 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 76
Thought about it - guess I should check. Taking it up with the yard owner first. Kind of sticky - he's a friend as well. Want to have a plan in hand if he's amenable to correcting it.

I’d have a thorough look see both inside and out first.
Look for cracks and leaks around brackets and bolts that may be faraway from the point of contact damage.

Great point. Thanks, kapnd.

i do like you idea to fabricate a new plate to cover the damaged area however, I would prefer to use SS plate instead. I will also weld the clips bases on it (observe the distance between them), then mount the haul thing on the platform as one piece after all fiber glass repairs.

Got a chance to give it a better look - it appears that the aft thin member between the Weaver clips took the hit. I can see where the member bent sufficiently to come in light contact with the forward part of the platform. That piece is pretty much splintered garbage. The supporting members at the clips look intact. I haven't had it out of the water or dived it, but there's no interior leakage evident. No interior sight lines. Have to wait until I can haul her for the full picture.

I, too, have reservations about sticking metal at that location. Perpetual salt water/dry out cycles - sure to be a corrosion trap.

Just cut out the bottom and do the proper repair.
The plate will look like an amateur did the Repair

Without seeing it in person, I would cut that whole thing out and lose the davits, remove that teak and double the size of the platform so its useful. Right now, even as it is, it is too much of a cling-on to be safe. Good opp. to improve it. I’d be tempted to use starboard and while you’re at it, look at how a Ranger Tug has fenders built in back there.

Maybe, after cutting off the broken loop bit, install a deeper swim grid right on top of the old one...

If you decide on metal, use stainless not aluminum. Al hates double layers or paint, it will corrode badly. It will, however, be very hot underfoot and unless you distress the surface somehow, with wet feet it will be lethal.

Without seeing it in person, I would cut that whole thing out and lose the davits, remove that teak and double the size of the platform so its useful. Right now, even as it is, it is too much of a cling-on to be safe. Good opp. to improve it. I’d be tempted to use starboard and while you’re at it, look at how a Ranger Tug has fenders built in back there.

Maybe, after cutting off the broken loop bit, install a deeper swim grid right on top of the old one...

If you decide on metal, use stainless not aluminum. Al hates double layers or paint, it will corrode badly. It will, however, be very hot underfoot and unless you distress the surface somehow, with wet feet it will be lethal.
:thumb:

This is the best advice you have received so far. You would spend at least half the cost of doing a whole new larger swimgrid to properly repair the old one. Now you can have the one you have always wanted.

Thanks for the good advice, all. Going to take some head work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom