Boat Buying Distraction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all- reading these boards have helped me get through this pandemic mess, so thanks again for all your expert opinions. As I armchair shop for trawlers, I have yet another question. The two tips I've heart the most for first time boat buyers: "Buy your second boat first" and "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, but the smallest boat you can live with." I understand both these sentiments even if they seem a little contradictory to me. So, out of curiosity, do you think most first time buyer err on the side of too big or too small? Thanks all and stay safe ;)

I'm not an expert having only bought 2 ocean-going boats. A 30' sailboat and a 52'.
But I will suggest not buying a boat that requires too much repair and upgrading.
Depending on your budget, that will limit the size of boats you end up looking at.
Happy hunting!

Big difference in living aboard...with and without a dirt dwelling for storage and just a cruiser or part timer

It seems that most people tend to buy up once they get used to running the boat and get tired of not having enough room they buy the next size up. You can burn through a lot of money doing that. Trust me, I know.

My suggestion is buy the biggest boat that you think you will ever need. Get one that has all the systems & capacities that you want. If you can find the model you want that has all the cool stuff that you want.

Buy it once; repair as needed; learn to use it and then enjoy it!

Cheers!

Buy a boat.

The random forces of the Universe may rip away the Dream at any time due to health of financial misfortune.

Gain experience. Make memories. Upgrade later, if you need to.

Better to have dreamt and lost than to never of had a chance to attain your Dream at all.

Hi Landlubber.....,
My 2 cents worth would be......
Try not to buy a "project" boat unless repairing, upgrading, and just working on boats is what "turns your crank". Otherwise, I know of too many people who end up regretting their purchase as they spend "bags of money" (it always costs more than you think) and/or hours and hours and hours of their time working on the boat and they don't get to use it enough!
The 2 "catch phrases"? Anytime you have to change boats, you lose (money - there may be the very odd exception but that is rare). So, best advice is to take your time now, carefully consider what you are planning on using it for (details of that - not to go boating:) ), and what makes and models will achieve that for your within your budget. Also remember when "boat budgeting" that you will spend more money than you think (in the vast majority of cases) after the sale to repair, catch up on maintenance, upgrade, add items, and just making the boat your own. This can really add up, so plan for it! In this way, you can stand a better chance of "getting your second boat first" (in other words getting it right 9for you)).
Size. Get the smallest boat that you will be comfortable on, that meets MOST of your needs, wants, and nice to haves, that is in the best condition possible. Remember that all boats turn out to be a compromise. It is next to impossible to get everything you want (unless you have lots of experience and knowledge, and bags of money) on any boat, but if you spend the time and energy up front, you can probably come close!
However, as Murray wisely said, don't take too long, enjoy the now! Start the process and go boating.

Most people want a bigger boat rather than a smaller boat. I recommend getting the bigger boat and then take the time to learn how to run it. Good luck with your search, have fun.

First boat(s) for us always too small. Second to the last boat (which we currently own), too big. Forgot the pesky second rule about the smallest you can live in/with.

First boat(s) for us always too small. Second to the last boat (which we currently own), too big. Forgot the pesky second rule about the smallest you can live in/with.
I'm on my 10th boat since 1995. They run from 30,32, 35, 38, 42, 48, 54,etc. 38 was too small and 54 was too big. Advice: By the smallest boat that has everything you want.
That may be a 32 or even a 64! Make a list of everything you can think of and then go shopping for the smallest that checks all the boxes.:oldman:

If it’s your first boat, you just don’t know what you don’t know. You can ask questions, you can learn a lot, in the end you can make your best guess but until you have lived with that first boat you won’t know what you really want. Do your research and then do your best.

As stated earlier I would stay away from projects. I would recommend going newer rather than older. I would recommend buying a boat that already Meets all your wants rather than trying to add features later. Buy the smallest boat that meets your wants but don’t buy a boat that is too small for next years mission.

Sounds easy, that’s why Comodave is on boat number 23 and I am on boat number 4.

True yachtsmen have beer tastes on a wine budget. Proverb from an old salt.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget.
RTF,

I know a lot about that topic :thumb:
My wife is very good at spending money, however, when it comes to the boat, I think I take the cake there :eek:

Hi all- reading these boards have helped me get through this pandemic mess, so thanks again for all your expert opinions. As I armchair shop for trawlers, I have yet another question. The two tips I've heart the most for first time boat buyers: "Buy your second boat first" and "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, but the smallest boat you can live with." I understand both these sentiments even if they seem a little contradictory to me. So, out of curiosity, do you think most first time buyer err on the side of too big or too small? Thanks all and stay safe ;)

They are totally contradictory. However, you give us none of the information necessary to give you good advice. What is your boating experience? Who will be boating with you? How do you intend to use the boat and where?

If money is not a factor “ Go Big or Go Home”
If I went any bigger I would have had to get a different home because it would not fit down the canal behind my house

Too big or too small just think you are buying Engines wrapped in fibreglass. Start with the engines and work your way out. That IMO is the mistake first time buyers make. No go no fun :)

My advise is to get the boat that covers 80% of your needs, instead of the boat that fills the other 20%. Don't just shop for a boat. You should shop for a surveyor, and based on your experience, possibly a buyer's broker too.

In my experience, the smallest boat I could live with and the biggest boat I could afford were the same boat. I'm on my 4th boat and always would like more room each time, but rarely could easily afford much more. Just like buying a new TV, err on the bigger side if you can, or you'll soon outgrow it.

In my humble opinion I'd say most people err too small. Many make the mistake of learning on a smaller boat then working their way up. Big boats are easier, in many ways, to dock than smaller, lighter boats.

Have you thought about chartering? In case you don't know what that is, you can rent a boat. It gives you the opportunity to use it for as long as you want. Where do you plan on boating and do you plan on just day cruising or spending days, weeks or months cruising? As Brand B pointed out, answering these questions will help to narrow down the type of boat that you should search for. I bought a go fast cabin cruiser which, was not appropriate for the type of cruising that I wanted to do. I burned through a lot of money by not answering the above questions. This forum is a pretty good resource. So you are heading in the right direction. I've learned a lot here.

Good luck!

Land...

1. You need to accurately calculate your $$$ capabilities

2. List exactly what you plan to use the boat for

3. Shop only for a boat that fits your budget requirements and use needs

4. Make damn sure when you locate a boat that "seems" to be correct for your lifestyle - - - >>> have a really good surveyor and marine mechanic go over the one you want with a fine tooth comb

5. Horse Trade with the seller [i.e. get the best deal you can]

6. Be ready to at anytime walk away if portions are simply not enough to your liking

7. If you get it... enjoy it! If you don't get it... keep shopping. The correct boat will arrive!!

You have received good basic advice. That said, your situation is that of a totally inexperienced naive boater. You should rent and take courses, do some over nights/weekends/week with the boss. You might decide to love it or leave it. Sometimes the shopping experience pulls you into a mistake vision of sun lighted topical cays and idealize anchorages and blind you to the maintenance, tight living conditions and limited by weather cruising. You should go into this with eyes wide open. Your life style and how you live will be the same on a boat ... except it can not be. Make certain each of you can tolerate the conditions and opportunities given the different demands on your schedule by life events, job, etc. We were very fortune and had a good boating base to rely on and loved being full time on the boat and cruising. No regrets by either of us. Great memories and bad but all part of it and would not trade any. Life events, Grand Children arriving, aging parents etc. often can impede or curtailed your full time cruising for awhile. So, for some, a good weekender cruising cuddy/small cabin express style boat(Searay, Carver, Bayliner, Regal, etc. ) will be the best compromise, least expensive and best compromise learning tool.

Chartering is good advice if you can find a similar boat to the one you want to purchase. I purchased a used boat about 16 mos ago after a year or 2 of non-aggressive shopping. Someone told me "When you find it, you'll know it" and that's what happened. However, when you know you want to buy, you may overlook things. Even though I had the boat surveyed and trialed, there were still things missed and some of them not so minor. When you fall in love with a boat you want, try to still be willing to walk away, as hard as that is. In the end, I'm happy with my purchase, but only after 18 mos is the boat becoming what I knew it could be. Maybe that's normal for us that are very particular, but still I could have had a lot of this done by the previous owner.

The best thing is that you have a boat to enjoy. Money is second to the memories. Be safe.

Boat buying

You are asking an almost unanswerable question but here’s my advice. Be brutally honest with yourself about how you will use your boat. Pick a boat that fits your needs and then buy a slightly bigger boat than you think you are currently comfortable with. If you buy to small, you will quickly find that you get comfortable with it immediately and then want a bigger boat. The strategy of buying small then trading up will cost you a fortune.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom