Wireless Cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
Anyone install wireless cameras in the bilge, on the boat? Looking for ideas.

Yes. One in the engine room that is 110VAC, wireless to a small dedicated monitor in the pilothouse.

Another 110VAC that is WiFi - used as a boat monitor. It watches our power distribution panel, listens for alarms and forced entry, and reports motion to my devices. Very simple and effective. Made by Wyze and $25.

I have a wired camera in our engine room. We keep it up on our 2nd MFD all the time so I do look at it frequently. Looking for smoke or water spraying. Because you know when you let the smoke out of something it will no longer work...

But in the bilge? That's what I'm curious about. Going to need something very salt water resistant and rugged for that, and I can't understand why you'd need one there to begin with.

Engine room I totally get, if you are unable for some reason to make regular checks especially. Cameras can't smell or listen or take the temperature of various components very well, so I prefer taking a first hand visit. But yeah, an engine room camera is nice to have for sure.

Last edited:
When he said bilge, I assumed he meant the engine room. I have 2 high water alarms for the bilge so I see no reason to have a camera to look at the water. I would just wait for the high water alarm to go off.

So I just tried a wireless battery camera from Heimlife purchased thru Amazon to use with a 2.4ghz wireless router *not* connected to the internet. My use case was temp mounting on sides when backing into a tight slip. That old free up our 12v Raymarine to re-aim farther aft so I can keep an eye on a towed RIB. Great camera, worked as advertised EXCEPT when on,y on our “private” network.

To take this subject a little further, has anyone identified and/or set up battery operated or even plug in wireless cameras on an onboard private wireless network - NO Internet access? I don’t need remote monitoring etc. I just want a few inexpensive cameras around the boat that I can monitor on my iPhone and/or iPad. Battery operated preferred. Compatible with Raymarine Axiom a true plus.

There are many good small “outdoor” video cameras available but how many function without an Internet connection? (Heimlife insisted their camera should function, but I could only get it to connect a few times on a random basis).

To take this subject a little further, has anyone identified and/or set up battery operated or even plug in wireless cameras on an onboard private wireless network - NO Internet access? I don’t need remote monitoring etc. I just want a few inexpensive cameras around the boat that I can monitor on my iPhone and/or iPad. Battery operated preferred. Compatible with Raymarine Axiom a true plus.

There are many good small “outdoor” video cameras available but how many function without an Internet connection? (Heimlife insisted their camera should function, but I could only get it to connect a few times on a random basis).

At my dirt house I have what they call an "NVR" - Network Video Recorder. It manages up to eight WiFi cameras on their own dedicated network. It actually uses IP, so you could use the cams without the recorder box, but it's all set up as a nice package. I can access the NRV via a dedicated monitor, or remotely because it's also connected (wired) to my home network router.

These are infrared cameras. My plan is to put a couple in the ER and other places on board when I sell the house.

Everything (DVR and cameras) runs on 12VDC, 3A wall plugs.

Another option I've explored would be aftermarket "back-up" cameras for cars. They also run on 12V, and come as a complete system, camera and monitor. I bough a cheap one on eBay to test, but the monitor had those "parking line" overlays on it which made it difficult to use.

So I just tried a wireless battery camera from Heimlife purchased thru Amazon to use with a 2.4ghz wireless router *not* connected to the internet. My use case was temp mounting on sides when backing into a tight slip. That old free up our 12v Raymarine to re-aim farther aft so I can keep an eye on a towed RIB. Great camera, worked as advertised EXCEPT when on,y on our “private” network.

I am researching this very thing now- my proposed install for my aft facing camera has 12v power available, but would be a pain in the arse to run a POE cable to....so, I want to connect the camera to my Axion system via wifi.

Should have been more clear in the first post :) ER and bilge are not the same :)

I tried the Arlo today. Wireless, battery powered. Fit for outdoors. Connects to an onboard router thru a hub. I think it will also connect via a Google Home or Alexa device. Shows image on the app on your phone or tablet. Doesn’t need internet. Amy gripe is that it can’t do reverse image, so it’s no good for my intended purpose, backing into a slip. Would be a great engine room camera.

I have Arlo that I use to monitor the boat at dock when we are home. The cameras are battery powered, are a bit hard on batteries, and use batteries that are quite expensive (compared to 9V or AA, etc.).

Other than the battery issue, they are good cameras, detect motion, and have good night vision.
No affiliation, just a customer.

Look at the Raymarine forum. They clearly state that their plotters are not compatible with wireless IP cameras. They require the camera to be wired to the network. The plotter can connect to the network wirelessly however.

BD

The Wyze cameras are 5vdc, which can adapt to 12vcd or 110ac.

Look at the Raymarine forum. They clearly state that their plotters are not compatible with wireless IP cameras. They require the camera to be wired to the network. The plotter can connect to the network wirelessly however.

BD

Agreed. My question is this- I believe drones controlled by an Axiom MFD can stream video- how is this permitted, but an wifi camera is not?

I agree with the above and have 5 Raymarine 220IPs and all are wired to the flybridge's eS128 MFD. The photo below shows 4 images on a Samsung 43" that is connected by an HDMI cable to the MFD on the flybridge. The second photo is an old iPad that connects by WIFI to the bridge and controls the images (and anything on the MFD) to it and the smart tv. It can be moved to any location on the boat including the ER & still shows sharp images and video, however "jerky". (Not real time.) The iPad and a command mic on the dinette table in the salon serves as a poor man's second nav station without the expense of having another full MFD and VHF station.

Attachments

• salon 4 camera view.jpg
    salon 4 camera view.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 75
  • iPad .jpg
    iPad .jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 72
Additionally we *have* a wireless camera working with the Axiom. Mind you it is a Raymarine product, but it’s wireless IP. I don’t have the model number handy. Compared to the price of an imported wireless camera (e.g., $30-$40) it was a lot more expensive. But it works.

I continue to search and contact suppliers about whether or not their cameras will function on a private WLAN after being set up. We have two iPad minis, two iPhones, and an iPad onboard so I will continue to research. I‘ve also created a power solution using an inexpensive ruggedized solar external phone battery so for about $100 I’m hoping for a two camera back up solution. Just waiting for two more companies to reply.

I installed a camera on the aft flybridge to help me back into the slip and as a security camera. I direct wired the camera to a 12v source and connected it to my boat's wireless network which connects to the wireless network at the marina. I can set motion alarm so I know if someone is on the boat and can check on the boat from at home. I am very happy with the camera so far.
You should be able to use this camera in the engine room it seems to be very robust.

Luowice WiFi Security Camera Outdoor Wireless IP Camera 1080P 180 Degree Fisheye Panoramic Surveillance Video CCTV Camera Night Vision 100ft Waterproof - Amazon $49

maybe

I have a brand new, wired camera in the engine room with lots of light and can still not really tell if there is a problem. I had one wet exhaust manifold dripping sea water and never saw it on the camera. But due to resolution, lighting, AND the angle of the screen on the bridge (which could have been positioned a few degrees of a better angle) I never saw it. I think you would need to have major failure to really be able to see trouble. Smoke or fire is about it.

I agree, do a walk around every hour including the engine room.

I have a hard wired Raymarine Camera in rear of engine room which I can monitor from pilot house. I installed a Ring wireless camera forward in the engine room which allows me to monitor from anywhere on my phone. Both work well. The Ring device is much cheaper.

Update- I was able to wire the Raymarine Cam220 into the Axion- I used a rail mount for an anchor, and ran the cable thru the rail. As I’m using a POE injector, only 1 cable will both power and transfer images to the head unit.

As soon as I finish the install, I’ll shoot some photos.

Update- I was able to wire the Raymarine Cam220 into the Axion- I used a rail mount for an anchor, and ran the cable thru the rail. As I’m using a POE injector, only 1 cable will both power and transfer images to the head unit.

As soon as I finish the install, I’ll shoot some photos.
I'll be extremely interested in your outcome as all 5 of my IP cameras are Raymarine 220s and I love them!

Anyone install wireless cameras in the bilge, on the boat? Looking for ideas.

I installed. 12v Podofo wireless camera on the roof of the sun deck on the stern to watch when backing up or docking. The monitor is about 30 feet away on the bridge station. It works fine. It is powered when the nav lights are on. I put quick connects on the wiring for ease of winter storage. I paid about $125.00. Very pleased.

Used to be commercial engine room (ER) cameras were hardwired. Today many good wireless options. Need infrared or a light on.

Any remote situational awareness is always appreciated when single handed on watch in the helm.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so live video is worth much more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom