RIB Lettering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
What is the favorite way of attaching registration numbers, state decals etc to Hypalon RIB’s? Something that might be removed at some point?

What is the favorite way of attaching registration numbers, state decals etc to Hypalon RIB’s? Something that might be removed at some point?

Boatnumberplate.com

Do your own design.

Any vinyl lettering, just use the thinnest font you can find...mine sticks fine even with deflating.

I used hypalon paint to create a base for the numbers and then applied vinyl numbers and letters. Into the second season and still looking good - even though i must have had a glass or two before I put them on!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_095422195.jpg
    IMG_20190304_095422195.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 63
Don't have a motor to power the RIB: use oars. Probably no registration necessary, dependent on the locality..

Don't have a motor to power the RIB: use oars. Probably no registration necessary, dependent on the locality..

Problem is you just left Staniel, just put the anchor down six miles away off Pipe Cay and the wife sees the supply boat going past towards Staniel and wants fresh milk. Twenty minute wet dinghy ride both ways! :D

Been a funny few days! | AtAnchor.com

I have a motor and will use it for exploring, fishing etc, so has to be licensed.
My neighbor has what feels like rubber letters on his RIB. I will ask him when I see him. I can’t believe. Have to display a carbon monoxide sticker as well. Seems ridiculous.

I have a motor and will use it for exploring, fishing etc, so has to be licensed.
My neighbor has what feels like rubber letters on his RIB. I will ask him when I see him. I can’t believe. Have to display a carbon monoxide sticker as well. Seems ridiculous.

On the dinghy?

We have adhesive decals on ours. Purchased from Prisim Graphics in Seattle. They have good customer service. Make sure dog is not in the water.

We used the boat number plate company. Looks good. No affiliation.

Boatnumberplate.com works great looks good easy

Another firm vote for boatnumberplate.com. This outstanding product is NOT, however, removable. You specified "something that might be removed at some point."

Why? Law enforcement and underwriters will tell you that dinghies with tough to remove registration numbers aren't stolen nearly as often as those whose numbers are easily peeled off or painted over.

43966659741_c705394363_b.jpg

Numbers and underlying area were getting pretty dried out and sun worn on our Navigo 10VS.
2goRYa5.jpg

Scrapped off the old, masked off the surrounding area and painted with white flex seal spray paint.
Mu6XDDH.jpg

After a day drying, applied standard vinyl lettering from a local sign shop I use all the time.
bR5A8us.jpg

Last edited:
Boatnumberplate.com

Do your own design.

Interesting website, lots of pics and talk of putting on inflatables . . . , but if you follow the links, buried in the fine print is the statement "Not recommended for inflatable boats.":facepalm:

Hmmmm, seems like there's a disconnect there . . .

Interesting website, lots of pics and talk of putting on inflatables . . . , but if you follow the links, buried in the fine print is the statement "Not recommended for inflatable boats.":facepalm:

Hmmmm, seems like there's a disconnect there . . .

Please send a link to that location. I've looked over the site fairly carefully and I don't find that statement. But I DO find hundreds of statements saying how you can and should use it on inflatable boats.

Lots of ideas
Thanks

Please send a link to that location. I've looked over the site fairly carefully and I don't find that statement. But I DO find hundreds of statements saying how you can and should use it on inflatable boats.

Boatnumberplate.com site has a redirect to West Marine Defenders Industries which states:

"Note: Registration numbers come superimposed on a clear background, so your boat’s color shows through. 3" block-style letters are USCG legal. Package includes two stick-on plates: One for the port side and one for the starboard side of the boat. Not recommended for inflatable boats."

So, not the boatnumberplate.com website specifically, but the site that boatnumberplate.com sends you to to purchase their product. Soooo, boatnumberplate.com says okay for inflatables, but site THEY send you to, and the site that has the most to lose from unhappy customers DOES NOT RECOMMEND them for inflatable boats . . . AND if you have a problem with them on your inflatable boat . . . . they will tell you that they went against their advice and used them on an inflatable boat . . . so I don't they'll stand behind them if you specifically go against their recommendations . . .

feel free to follow boatnumberplate.com's redirect for yourself!:dance:
Am I missing something?

Yes. ACTUALLY what it says is "Not recommended for inflatable boats that are rolled up for storage, regularly/deflated, or in extreme hot/cold weather."

Which is quite different. Also I don't find that language on Defender. Also you don't need to buy from either of those places, you can buy directly from them where it says no such thing.

Unless you've had direct experience with them making such a claim or retraction, it seems like you're just picking out certain words to create a narrative that doesn't exist. If you do have such an experience, then please share it.
BD

@Slowgoesit, I believe what you're referring to is a different product that they also sell, the self-sticking one with the transparent background. That's for sticking to a rigid hull/superstructure, not an inflatable.

Their primary product is the one intended for inflatables, and the number placard is a rectangle of hypalon or PVC, depending upon what sort of boat you have. When applied correctly, it is chemically welded to the boat and cannot be removed.

I asked my neighbor about his numbers and he said they came with the dinghy.
They stand up of the surface maybe .025 or so. Look like rubber or like the material the dinghy is made of. He also said he bought the same thing years ago but doesn’t recall where. Just that they required a special adhesive to apply.

Here's what I do with plexiglass and zip ties. Works great, lasts a long time and doubles as a splash guard for the front seater when needed on the upwind side.

Many here have claimed in the past (without substantiation) that it's illegal since it's not permanently attached but I have it from a VSC inspector, a county property tax inspector and a couple of Coasties that it's just fine. Never had a problem with it in about 10 years in Northern CA. In fact, several boats owners on my dock who were cited by the county tax man/Sheriff installed plexiglass panels on their bow rails and then he was satisfied.

Attachments

• dink.jpg
    dink.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 23
IMG_1162.jpg

I did this for two seasons on Lake Michigan on my drink and now 4 years on the boat.

Our marina was the home of the CG as well as local PD who passed me every time I was on the water. The only time they asked me, was just prior to putting them on.

I did the same for my boat and zip ties to the rail- two inspections thus far with zero questions by CG.

The numbers are supposed to be permanently attached but if you have decent looking numbers most LE have better things to do than cite you for non permanent numbers. Not saying that technically they couldn’t cite you but it isn’t a very high priority with them. If you aren’t doing anything blatantly wrong they will probably ignore it. It is like the proper spacing of the numbers. A lot of people get away with improper spacing of the numbers but that doesn’t make it legal.

Here is an exerpt from the Michigan Secretary of States web site about permanently attached numbers. Your state may vary.

Registration Number: Watercraft owners
must paint or permanently attach the assigned registration number on each side of the forward half of the vessel as high above the water line
as possible. The number must contrast with the color of the background so it is visible and legible. All letters and numbers must be plain block characters at least 3 inches high, reading from left to right. Place a hyphen or leave space equivalent to the width of your letter "M" between the letters and numbers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom