Opinion Wanted: US Battery vs Trojan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
After a dismal system test on anchor this week we're replacing our house battery bank. The boat came with three older 8D 12V 220Ah batteries which are all EOL.

We want to replace everything with with six 6V 440 Ah Forklift Batteries (Big Golf Cart Batteries) which should give us 1320 Ah (660 usable) and only take up the floor space of two 8 Ds in the ER.

We're between two brands: US Battery and Trojan.

Specs are very close. The US Battery specs have a longer Reserve Capacity (965 minutes vs 850 for the Trojans). They are priced within a few dollars of each other. US Batteries are in stock at our local battery shop. They were recommended over Trojans by that shop citing the longer reserve and that they are US made. I've just not heard as much about US Battery as Trojan.

Anyone out there have experience or perspective on either brands? Thanks in advance, spec sheets for both attached.

Attachments

• battery-trojan-l16p-data-sheet.pdf
    366.8 KB · Views: 39
  • US-Battery-USL16HCXC2-L16HC-XC2xc-data-sheet-2017.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • L16H-2T.png
    L16H-2T.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,218
  • US-Battery-USL16HCXC2-2T.jpg
    US-Battery-USL16HCXC2-2T.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,207
Last edited:
I’ve always used Trojans in both boat and motorhome. Always been pleased with how long they last and availability nationwide.

Trojan FLAs are also made in the USA.

I am not an expert. And I'm not even very smart.

For a battery to be good, IMHO, it has to be heavy.

Those batteries shown are six volt so they will have half the plates, but the two together should weigh 40 to 50 pounds. If they don't, they likely don't have the "punch" you want.

pete

I have not heard of US Battery. But I would probably go with the battery that I can get service and warranty work done easily and locally.

I am not an expert. And I'm not even very smart.

For a battery to be good, IMHO, it has to be heavy.

Those batteries shown are six volt so they will have half the plates, but the two together should weigh 40 to 50 pounds. If they don't, they likely don't have the "punch" you want.

pete

I agree Pete. Each one weighs in at 118 lbs.

Of it were me, I would want the one with the thickest plates. Buried in their specs, each manufacturer will discuss. Thicker plates mean deeper cycle and longer life. Chances are that's Trojan but I don't know for certain.

Also consider Crown batteries. I just went with them, same battery but in a 430 amp hour rating

Trojan batteries I thought are made in San Diego but I could be corrected on that.

Try to find “Full River”
Mine are about 10yrs old and still seem fine.
No recent heavy heavy load test though.

They were recommended by Boat Electric that went belly up about 8 yrs ago. At that time they were the go-to place for all boat electric stuff.

At 11" X12" X 16" and 118 pounds ! Thats what I'm talking about !!

pete

My house bank is 2x2 US Batts, 2200XC2. Came with the boat in '15, still working and check out OK. Going into their 9th season. I'll likely replace with same when they die (assuming I don't reach EOL first!)

Try to find “Full River”
Mine are about 10yrs old and still seem fine.
No recent heavy heavy load test though..
My thruster batteries are "FullRiver" which I added after a recommendation by a fishing boat captain who I have one hell od a lot of faith in. So far it's only been a couple of years but these 6 volt AGMs are terrific!

Attachments

• thruster batteries.jpg
    thruster batteries.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 98
If Full River AGMs are ringing OP's chimes... Lifelines makes similar Big-Gulp-sized 6V AGMs too.

In case useful for comparisons...

FWIW, we tend to prefer AGMs, but more for the "other" features... in ouor case especially because servicing wet batteries would at least be difficult, and I could also stuff more AGMs into the available space once I solved (eliminated) the servicing issue.

-Chris

As a matter of fact, I have had both in the same application: 4 L16HC 6v for a 24 volt inverter bank. Both were standard flooded batteries, connected to a Magnum system with battery monitor kit. The US Battery (California company) units were first, and we pounded the living daylights out of them for a few years of cruising and living aboard full time, the preponderance of that being at anchor or on a mooring, all up and down the eastern seaboard and tributaries. We drew them down 50% on a regular basis, sometimes twice a day. I forget offhand how many total amp hours and cycles we put them through but it was well beyond expected service life. In short I was very happy with them.

I replaced them with the equivalent Trojans simply because I had a good relationship with the local Batteries Plus franchisee (didn' carry US Battery), who ordered them in for me as well as having them delivered and installed, including taking out the old ones. It took awhile for the Trojans to "break in" but Trojan's directions and customer support were very helpful throughout. At that point we weren't cruising as much, but we did anchor out 50 to 100 nights a year here in eastern NC (Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, South River, etc). They were still going strong when I sold the boat a couple years later.

All that blather aside, I wouldn't hesitate buying either again. We used standard floodeds because it was extremely easy to maintain them where they were located, and the Magnum system, including the BMK and auto generator start took good care of them too.

I don't think I've ever heard of any of the common L16 sized batteries being bad. They're not a common size with lots of demand for cheap batteries, so I think that helps keep low quality stuff off the market.

Personally, I'd shop based on price, capacity, and what you can get more easily. I'm currently running a pair of Mastervolt L16 AGMs (400ah) as a house bank, no complaints. I'd buy Trojan, Crown, Rolls without hesitation. I've heard good things about US Battery and Fullriver as well, so there are lots of good choices out there. My eventual next set will either be the highest capacity AGM L16s I can find, or I'll reconfigure my battery mounting and go to 3 of the L15+ 4V firefly batteries, depending on price, how I'm feeling that day, etc.

I shut my battery charger off yesterday afternoon. Before I went to bed, I still had many hours left in the house batteries, thanks to read out via my Victor Energy meter. Forgot all about it. This morning about 10am, I remembered. I was a couple of tenth from being full. Seems the solar panels were doing their job. LOL

Had US Battery golf carts as recommended by the local golf cart company.

The seemed about the same as the Trojans with similar oerformance.but 7 years ago they were less expensive by a pretty good margin. Haven't used again as Torojans have been available.in my new locations at a good enough price.

Hi OldDan1943,

You might take a look at Dyno Batteries here in Seattle. Highly recommended for flooded lead acid batteries. Available thru Fisheries, or direct from factory over by Fishermans Terminal.

Regards,

Pete

As a matter of fact, I have had both in the same application: 4 L16HC 6v for a 24 volt inverter bank. Both were standard flooded batteries, connected to a Magnum system with battery monitor kit. The US Battery (California company) units were first, and we pounded the living daylights out of them for a few years of cruising and living aboard full time, the preponderance of that being at anchor or on a mooring, all up and down the eastern seaboard and tributaries. We drew them down 50% on a regular basis, sometimes twice a day. I forget offhand how many total amp hours and cycles we put them through but it was well beyond expected service life. In short I was very happy with them.

I replaced them with the equivalent Trojans simply because I had a good relationship with the local Batteries Plus franchisee (didn' carry US Battery), who ordered them in for me as well as having them delivered and installed, including taking out the old ones. It took awhile for the Trojans to "break in" but Trojan's directions and customer support were very helpful throughout. At that point we weren't cruising as much, but we did anchor out 50 to 100 nights a year here in eastern NC (Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, South River, etc). They were still going strong when I sold the boat a couple years later.

All that blather aside, I wouldn't hesitate buying either again. We used standard floodeds because it was extremely easy to maintain them where they were located, and the Magnum system, including the BMK and auto generator start took good care of them too.

Thank you caltexflanc. We have a similar setup with the Magnum, etc. so this is super encouraging.

I have also been thinking about adding the BMK/auto start and a new monitoring system from Simarine.

We’re also choosing FLA over others because access for maintenance is relatively easy and, well, I don’t think the cost vs benefit is there yet for AGM, Carbon, Lithium in our application.

I have Trojans, but would go with what I could get locally, especially if they install!!!

Hi OldDan1943,

You might take a look at Dyno Batteries here in Seattle. Highly recommended for flooded lead acid batteries. Available thru Fisheries, or direct from factory over by Fishermans Terminal.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, I am on the ‘other’ coast and I am sure they are available here to but FLA just don’t interest me. Checking water level cuts into my nap time. LOL

Hi OldDan1943,

Oops, my message was intended for the original poster (Airstream345) who appears to be located somewhat closer. My dumb thumbs. Seems like I do that a lot lately.

Pete

Hi OldDan1943,

Oops, my message was intended for the original poster (Airstream345) who appears to be located somewhat closer. My dumb thumbs. Seems like I do that a lot lately.

Pete

Thanks OldDan1943. I did look at Dyno but I don’t think they sell an L16.

Hi OldDan1943,

Regards,

Pete

This is a really good idea. I have known a few people out there who have them and are very happy. Plus you are right there, so between shipping cost and dealing with a local company, that's the ticket.

I did look at Dyno but I don’t think they sell an L16.

They did a couple years ago when I last looked, as I was considering them, but the shipping to the east coast was costly. http://www.dynobattery.com/products/sweeper-and-aerial-lifts/d415.php

I should note i bought the US Batteries from a distributor in North Miami when we were down there, and the Trojans here in New Bern.

Last edited:
Don’t look at me, I’m confused.

I second the recommendation for Dyno batteries. I recently picked up a new gen start battery from their factory near Fisherman's Terminal. Nice to support a family business in the neighborhood. Plus, fair pricing and good performance in my experience.

Still trying to decide if I'll put Dyno's on this boat or lithium...

I second the recommendation for Dyno batteries. I recently picked up a new gen start battery from their factory near Fisherman's Terminal. Nice to support a family business in the neighborhood. Plus, fair pricing and good performance in my experience.

Still trying to decide if I'll put Dyno's on this boat or lithium...

You outta watch a video of lithium batteries being “made”

They literally take a bunch of what look like “D” cells and weld them together.

I for one was pretty unimpressed.

Thanks for all the advice. Bought 6 Dyno L-16HCs today. Now to get them installed!

61178669833__7BD4FAF5-3C98-4052-A56B-C3719F56C392.jpg

After a lot of measuring, figuring, testing and measuring again we came to the realization that there just isn’t enough vertical space in our ER to slide L-16s into battery boxes.

So we returned everything and went with 6 Firefly Oasis G 31s.

61186656219__19AED30A-7876-4496-9CF7-36B6FB523827.jpg

Back
Top Bottom