View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
As a matter of fact, I have had both in the same application: 4 L16HC 6v for a 24 volt inverter bank. Both were standard flooded batteries, connected to a Magnum system with battery monitor kit. The US Battery (California company) units were first, and we pounded the living daylights out of them for a few years of cruising and living aboard full time, the preponderance of that being at anchor or on a mooring, all up and down the eastern seaboard and tributaries. We drew them down 50% on a regular basis, sometimes twice a day. I forget offhand how many total amp hours and cycles we put them through but it was well beyond expected service life. In short I was very happy with them.

I replaced them with the equivalent Trojans simply because I had a good relationship with the local Batteries Plus franchisee (didn' carry US Battery), who ordered them in for me as well as having them delivered and installed, including taking out the old ones. It took awhile for the Trojans to "break in" but Trojan's directions and customer support were very helpful throughout. At that point we weren't cruising as much, but we did anchor out 50 to 100 nights a year here in eastern NC (Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, South River, etc). They were still going strong when I sold the boat a couple years later.

All that blather aside, I wouldn't hesitate buying either again. We used standard floodeds because it was extremely easy to maintain them where they were located, and the Magnum system, including the BMK and auto generator start took good care of them too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote