1979 Mainship II restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today was a good day! Got to head to the boat and get a few things done. Installed an ice maker in some wasted space. Also move the washer/dryer on the boat so I can get that installed.

Ice maker’s secret location

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

Cover installed

IMG_0793.jpg

Looking good, what are you going to cover the plywood with?

Made some headway today, got the washer/dryer in its new home. I mean after removing a few odds and ends first.

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.JPG

Just need to finish the new lower helm and install some louvered doors. Gotta save some things to do this weekend...

I am impressed with all you have done in such a short time. Keep it up.

Wow! One doesn't see many Mainship 34's with laundry facilities! How much water do you carry? We're having to add an auxiliary water tank just so we can remain on the hook for more than a few days and not worry about rationing water. 1 wash cycle would almost deplete our whole 45 gallon supply!

They can do laundry at the dock where there is unlimited water. My wife hates to use the marina laundry.

Did you add some venting on the icemaker compartment?

Did you add some venting on the icemaker compartment?

The washer/dryer is only for at the dock use. We don't like having to take dirty towels and clothes home that can now just stay at the boat.

The ice maker draws air in from under the counter and blows warm air out through the fireplace intake.

Your icemaker will work much better with high and low ventilation. Sounds like you have it covered.

Your icemaker will work much better with high and low ventilation. Sounds like you have it covered.

I appreciate it, a lot of brain cells have been working on this project trying to cover all bases.

Man you have gone to town on your old Mainship and have given me some great ideas for mine. The wife would love all you have done. The only problem is I dont have the time, skills, or desire to get that far into it. Regardless, I'm not showing her your poats or pictures. I'll enjoy them myself. I took my time and looked at many trawlers for several years. Funny but I kept comming back to the MK2. It checked all the boxs. It Has a large cockpit for entertaining and nice dinners out under the stars. I can also drop the bimini sunshade and have plenty of room for fishing. Its compfortable for a few nights on board but we prefer staying in nice places longer than just a few days. Get a better feel for area. So we tend to enjoy Air B&B, Hotels etc. Again, awesome work you are doing there. If I were to ever update an older trawler. This is the one I would do. As for now I'll keep the old Perkins going and overlook the the 80s when we step inside.

Today was productive, we got a lot done on the lower helm/laundry center.

Cleaned up the wiring a bit more, lots more to go, but it is getting there.
IMG_0868.jpg

Built the actual console panel (the steering wheel is too big, we ordered a smaller one.

IMG_0869.jpg

Powered it up for the first time

IMG_0872.jpg

Best part, we have already done two loads of laundry!

Man you have gone to town on your old Mainship and have given me some great ideas for mine. The wife would love all you have done. The only problem is I dont have the time, skills, or desire to get that far into it. Regardless, I'm not showing her your poats or pictures. I'll enjoy them myself. I took my time and looked at many trawlers for several years. Funny but I kept comming back to the MK2. It checked all the boxs. It Has a large cockpit for entertaining and nice dinners out under the stars. I can also drop the bimini sunshade and have plenty of room for fishing. Its compfortable for a few nights on board but we prefer staying in nice places longer than just a few days. Get a better feel for area. So we tend to enjoy Air B&B, Hotels etc. Again, awesome work you are doing there. If I were to ever update an older trawler. This is the one I would do. As for now I'll keep the old Perkins going and overlook the the 80s when we step inside.

Thanks! Glad folks are enjoying the build. We will keep at it till she is all done!

That’s an innovative place for the washer, not sure I would have though of it or not. Excellent.

I realize now why I was trying to get so much done before boating season. It is just too nice out to not leave the dock.

IMG_0901.JPG

We took a small trip to drop some friends off to their new boat and they followed us back to Paris Landing. They took some great pics of us underway.

IMG_0897.jpg

We had a great time and old Perkins did her thing. Now just sitting in the cockpit enjoying the view from our slip.

IMG_0908.jpg

Back to work!

IMG_0915.jpg

Fixed the dinghy too, the fuel pump failed. All better now!

IMG_0912.jpg

Time to replace the power distribution panel!

Layout the pieces

IMG_0931.jpg

Drill some holes

IMG_0939.jpg

Installed some wires

IMG_0967.jpg

It works!

IMG_0963.jpg

Still waiting on the new A/C meters, but I am a lot happier with the look and operation of the new panel!

VHF came in, the dash is done! Well except for the fuel gauge...

IMG_0996.jpg

Excellent work. Are you going to put a door on the washer compartment?

We got a chance to see Baloo’s boat last night . They’ve done a great job with this boat. They’ve made some huge improvements. Keep up the good work Baloo.

Got the doors made, dry fit for now, more sanding still.

IMG_1049.jpg

Then hinges, and handles

Are you going to put vents in the doors so when you are drying it can get enough air? They are looking good.

Are you going to put vents in the doors so when you are drying it can get enough air? They are looking good.

The cabinet is vented through the side. I wanted to keep the doors solid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom