The Ultimate Long Range Passagemaker for Two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amadeus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Amadeus
Vessel Make
Diesel Duck 55
After years of offshore international passagemaking my wife now wants to do the Great Loop. Fair enough, I'm all in. But my aspirations of international travel in a private vehicle continue. So far, I've made it to 121 countries but there are still many places on my bucketlist and time rolls on with tedious inevitability.

Enter the passagemaking airplane. We have settled on a Diamond DA-42 twin engine aircraft, powered by twin Mercedes diesels that sip fuel, even at 190 knots. How about 13 hours from Seattle to Honolulu? Last time I did it on a boat it took 13 days.

I've been a pilot for many years, but when we decided to fly around the world in our own airplane my wife decided to get her pilot's certificate. She went to an accelerated program in a few weeks of flying every day (both planes and matching sims), she had her licence. We bought a small sport plane to build time together and refine our cockpit management techniques.

Flying long distances is interesting and unique. With the DA-42 and auxiliary fuel carried in the backseat, you can achieve a range of 3000 nm, which will take you just about anywhere in the world. And you can find fuel anywhere because instead of 100 LL Avgas you can burn diesel or Jetfuel (kerosene). We could fly around the world in a week if pressed, but a relaxing pace that involves anywhere between a day and a week at our destination ports results in a comfortable 3 month trip. Our route is Westbound over the Pacific and involves stopping at some of our favorite places to sail, the South Pacific. We intend to go from Coeur d'Alene to Monterey, CA to Hilo, HI and then Majuro, Pohnpei, Truk, Palau, New Guinea followed by a circumnavigation of Australia. Then it's on to Singapore, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, South Africa, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Cape Verde Islands, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Vero Beach, FL, Kansas City and then home.

The plane has weather radar, air conditioning, flight into known ice capability and the latest electronics and radios. And the best way to see the world is from the air. Unlike a jet or turbine powered aircraft the DA-42 flies low where the view is best, but you have the power to fly above some weather and most any mountain range.

For various reasons I am done with long distance ocean passages by boat. But I'm not done traveling with my wife internationally with no schedule and the horizon ahead.

Happy to answer any questions if you're intrigued.

Attachments

• DA-42 gold exterior.jpg
    DA-42 gold exterior.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DA-42 cockpit.jpg
    DA-42 cockpit.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 214
On your plane, where’s the bathroom?

One of the back seats contains a porta-potti. Admiral's orders.

Murray, my bugs in the teeth days are over. I have a gyroplane rating and about 600 hours in ultralights. I don't fly the ultralights anymore for the same reson I don't own a sailboat. Too much exposure to the elements. I do fly an enclosed German Autogyro Cavalon on occasion. It's a nice ride for about an hour...

No doubt your protagonist had an amazing adventure...

I've read about the DA 42 as written-up by Flying Magazine. Great range and fuel economy, and who would ever suspect it was diesel powered? Truly unique.

It is a nice looking plane, no argument.

I doubt if you will get many converts from this forum though. You are comparing apples to oranges.

pete

It is a nice looking plane, no argument.

I doubt if you will get many converts from this forum though. You are comparing apples to oranges.

pete

I'm not really looking for converts, just thought it was an interesting perspective to share. I found a lot of boat enthusiasts are transportation junkies. Airplanes, boats of all types, motorcycles, civil submersibles, hot air balloons, helicopters, ATVs, snow machines, cars and trucks of all types. Some people just like that stuff and I am one of them.

Still, seeing the world from the air is unsurpassed, and owning your own passagemaking airplane is way cool.

Which engines does it use?

Oxygen? Heat?
I looked at their website and they listed a range of around 1,200nm (60%) with auxiliary fuel tanks. You must be talking something altogether different.
Looks very nice, but hard to get up and stretch...
Cool idea.

Which engines does it use?

Austro Engine, a Diamond Aircraft subsidiary, takes a Mercedes diesel and converts it to aero use. The engines are turbo charged and produce 168 HP. They are FADEC, one lever controlled. No more mixture or prop pitch to worry about.

Oxygen? Heat?
I looked at their website and they listed a range of around 1,200nm (60%) with auxiliary fuel tanks. You must be talking something altogether different.
Looks very nice, but hard to get up and stretch...
Cool idea.

The additional range comes from soft tanks installed with fuel pumps and manifolds in the back seat. There is an onboard oxygen supply in the nose and you wear the canulas at over 12,500 feet. There is an automated climate control system so you can have heat or A/C as needed.

The seats fold back so one of us can sleep while the other plays pilot. The plane has a very sophisticated autopilot, but both pilot's sleeping at the same time is frowned upon...

A friend put a curtained off porti potty on his pontoon boat. He thought he was doing his wife a favor. She flat out refused to even consider using it.

I can't imagine using one on a small plane.

pete

A friend put a curtained off porti potty on his pontoon boat. He thought he was doing his wife a favor. She flat out refused to even consider using it.

I can't imagine using one on a small plane.

pete

He married the wrong woman. My wife is happy to have it and not bothered in the least.

Don’t forget the sandwiches or MREs and lots of water

This is a great adventure for a couple that has the drive and currency to do it.

For folks with a smaller budget and fewer skills I still think a boat that could fit in a cargo container could be shipped on a world tour for less than a single engine overhaul.

And you get to tour in your own boat , not shuffle from hotel to hotel.

Armedeus, THAT is an understatement. She is a gossip, bossy, demanding, overweight and a braggart.

Sorry for the vent.

pete

And you get to tour in your own boat , not shuffle from hotel to hotel.

My dad was considering buying a RV and tour the US. Mom said, “No way. You want an RV so I can continue to cook. That is not a vacation to me!!”

My folks and another couple did do a self piloting canal boat trip in the UK. I’m not sure if they cooked onboard. LOL. Both couples had fun and as dad pointed out, they could not get lost.

WOW,
What a awesome adventure, any wife that wouldn't pee in a porta potty in the back of a GA while flying around the world needs to be replaced. Mine would pee in a cup to do it. She ( and I) just drove a 16hr 1000 mile drive yesterday from SoCal to Wa. after checking on the parents, we did the same drive Friday to go down. Looks like you definitely have both the right wife and aircraft.

HOLLYWOOD

Diesel engines, huh? Well this wouldn't be the TF if we didn't argue about twins vs. singles. Courtesy of T210DRVR:

HAHAHAHA

I'm not really looking for converts, just thought it was an interesting perspective to share. I found a lot of boat enthusiasts are transportation junkies. Airplanes, boats of all types, motorcycles, civil submersibles, hot air balloons, helicopters, ATVs, snow machines, cars and trucks of all types. Some people just like that stuff and I am one of them.

Still, seeing the world from the air is unsurpassed, and owning your own passagemaking airplane is way cool.

It IS way cool! I can totally see the attraction. That looks like an amazing way to do what you want to do. Congrats on the new Sky Yacht, fair winds, and uhh... picturesque seas.

I've been intrigued by the DA-42 since it was first announced. They originally had a different diesel (I think) which did not work out, and the early planes were mostly converted to gas at great expense. Have those issue been solved with the Mercedes engines? What is the tested climb rate at gross on one?

When announced, they were planning to ferry them from Austria to the US on their own wings - pretty unusual for a plane that size.

I've been intrigued by the DA-42 since it was first announced. They originally had a different diesel (I think) which did not work out, and the early planes were mostly converted to gas at great expense. Have those issue been solved with the Mercedes engines? What is the tested climb rate at gross on one?

When announced, they were planning to ferry them from Austria to the US on their own wings - pretty unusual for a plane that size.

The originl engines were Thielert 135 HP engines in the first version of the 42. The transmissions were the weak link and had to be rebuilt every 300 hours. There were other issues as well and Diamond discontinued the TDI version in 2008 and then introduced the NG version with the Austro AE 300 at 168 HP in 2010. In 2012 much of the airframe was refined and the current DA-42 VI version introduced. Single engine ROC is 700 fpm. Single engine service ceiling is 18,000 ft.

It's an amazing arcraft and the first new twin design in many years. Diamond twins are dominating twin engine aircraft sales. When we test flew the aircraft, my wife, also a pilot, and I were incredibly impressed.

Last edited:
That plane looks pretty sweet and the idea of exploring with a plane sounds incredibly exciting. I showed the post to my husband because I thought it was so interesting, and he actually said he thought of a similar idea, but the plane that came to his mind was a Cessna caravan. I knew this forum would bring inspiring ideas. What were some planes you considered before settling on this one? Was the Diesel a big factor?

Hey this Amadeus guy is onto a cool idea, but let's take it to the next step... RV'ing in an airplane while traveling to remote areas around the world. Take one of those amazing DC-3s and fit out the interior like a camper with berths, a galley, real bathroom with a shower. Big tundra tires on her!

But I suppose you'd have to gimbal the stove, dinette and bed, otherwise everything would just slide off at a 20° angle when sitting on the ground :)

A tail dragger? When raising the landing gear, where are you tucking the tundra tires?
Why not a DC9?
Hold off a bit longer and you might be able to pick up a jet from a smaller airline when it goes bottoms up? Maybe a Lear from a shoe string charter company?
OR maybe, just maybe a bigger boat? That way you can take more people and bring this forum back to boating? What a concept, back to boating. LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom