Windlass battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhodewaves

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rhode waves
Vessel Make
Mainship pilot 34
I have a Mainship 34 pilot, wondering if anyone added a separate battery for the windless

If you use all chain and the water is usually very deep (PNW) it might be worth the effort.

Tha the best system is to use the boat motion to break out the anchor , and the windlass to just lift it up, a second batt would not be a help often.

In my mind, it depends on how long the cable run would be without it and whether the power draw / voltage dip of the windlass causes any problems with other stuff on the same battery bank.

Personally, I run my windlass from the house bank, as it's the biggest (so least voltage drop) and the closest to the windlass (house bank is just forward of the engine room on my boat). With the engines running, the voltage dip doesn't seem to be enough to bother any electronics.

I do the same. Works just fine. No drop in performance retrieving 125 feet of chain. My bank is 932ah nominally.
In my mind, it depends on how long the cable run would be without it and whether the power draw / voltage dip of the windlass causes any problems with other stuff on the same battery bank.

Personally, I run my windlass from the house bank, as it's the biggest (so least voltage drop) and the closest to the windlass (house bank is just forward of the engine room on my boat). With the engines running, the voltage dip doesn't seem to be enough to bother any electronics.

I also just use the house bank. Many times I don’t start the engine until most of the chain is up. Works fine for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom