GI Bill and Learning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flak

Howdy all,

Still lurking around here and trying to get smarter. We had some situation changes, like everyone faces, that has pushed us back a bit, but with the delays I am looking at opportunities to take advantage of the extra time.

One thing I have seen suggested to increase knowledge and experience is to rent / charter various boats to get some experience and knowledge. This got me thinking to my post 9/11 GI Bill. I called myself looking in the thread search, but "GI Bill" does not seem to register anything.

Is there any place that I can use my GI Bill for classes, licenses, etc. that would be worthwhile? I still have all my post 9/11 GI Bill, but it does expire in 2022.

Any insight (or thread pointing) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Flak

Edit: I am in South Alabama - for what that is worth

Last edited:
You might look at Chapmans school for surveyors. I am not sure they are still in business or not. They used to be in Florida I think.

The VA used to pay for captains licensing through Sea School out of Florida...for some dumb reason they refused to reimburse me when I used Sea School out of Long Island.

The VA used to pay for captains licensing through Sea School out of Florida...for some dumb reason they refused to reimburse me when I used Sea School out of Long Island.

I called the Sea School in Bayou La Batre here in Alabama, they did NOT accept it, either.

Greetings,
Mr. F. Mr. C mentioned Chapman's. I took the liberty of looking them up and it appears they are still in business but have implemented some COVID-19 restrictions. Main page shows a section (on the left) for veterans. https://www.chapman.org/

Google GI Bill vocational training. VA won't pay for anything deemed recreational. They will pay for plumber/electrician/law enforcement/fireman, etc. A Masters license with a 4 month residential course would probably qualify. A 6-pack license with a Sea School 6 day course probably wouldn't. (Note that you need 360 days of sea time to qualify for the 6-pack license.)

Lot of info online such as approved programs and schools.

American Marine Training Center, LLC claims all of their courses qualify....even 6 pack.

Before po ayong anything though I would verify with the VA.

Appreciated.

I am in contact with Chapmans - probably not as feasible at this time as I thought. But it's certainly something for the future.

Going to get on American Marine Training Center, this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom