New style Mantus M2 anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshalaska

Vessel Name
Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Make
Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
So who has tried this new style without roll bar anchor called a M2?
So what do you think. How would it compare to the Rocna Vulcan?
I want a oversized anchor and the roll bar ones the shanks is too long and the M2 is less expensive than a Vulcan.

The shanks on the Australian SARCA and the Manson Supreme from New Zealand aren’t as long as orthers.

This “M2” (haven’t seen it) will probably look and act much like the Boss and the Vulcan (with high curved shanks) that were designed for the same reason under the same circumstances. Any reason the M2 would be better? The Vulcan and Boss are very good. And w the two you have your choice of ballasted or not.

We have a member in Sitka (Old Deckhand) that has used a Manson Boss for some time (5-6yrs) and sends good reports.

Last edited:
Well they made a good looking anchor that actually looks like quality this time. The Shank has a beautiful curve and the fluke looks like it’d penetrate an Alaska gravel road.

That said it reminds me of all the people that dropped out of the election in progress. Mantus has some very heavy competition, Spade and Vulcan at least. But they might out Vulcan the Vulcan as their shank probably costs little compared to the Vulcan’s channel like construction and unless the Vulcan’s almost exotic shank is necessary they may pull it off. But the light plate shank is basically standard in the industry and evident weaknesses are very rare or non-existant.

And like people running for president there’s plenty of compettion and past flames.

On the “M2” the fluke looks a bit like that weird anchor w turned down outboard tips that looked like a bent Claw. But it’s at least quit good looking. Bad looks won’t be their downfall.

Says in the write-up that the bolt holding the two parts together is load bearing. That would rule it out for me, with better options like the Spade or Vulcan available.

I usta depend on a bolt holding the wings on an UL airplane on and you won’t trust a bolted anchor?
And there have been anchors made recently w mild steel parts. I’d worry about that before bolts. An you can always substitute an AN aircraft bolt.
But like you say the Spade and Vulcan are excellent. As are many others.

The fluke's shape is very reminiscent of that of the paper darts we used to make from a sheet of paper and fire round the class behind the teacher's back.:D

This looks like Mantus' answer to the Spade, Rocna Vulcan, Manson Boss. While the M1 looks like the answer to the Bugel, Rocna, Manson Supreme and other roll bar style anchors.

Shrew,
Yes it looks like most everything has been tried .... but it hasn’t.
And when the next new breakthrough arrives you’ll wonder why you didn’t “think of that”.

Yes Peter B.
Looks unmistakably like a “paper airplane”.

And Ventana if you substitute an “AN” aircraft bolt it will be weaker but it will have a far greater ability to bend a lot before breaking. One could say like Kevlar. And of course AN bolts rust. But slowly.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a comparison to a Delta anchor? I have a Delta on my boat that is 44 pounds and I had to do a bunch of grinding on the S/S plate on the bottom of my pulpit in order to get the 44 pound Delta to fit. I can’t get a rollbar anchor in the pulpit. I wonder if the Mantus 2 would hold better than the Delta.

The Excel would probably fit. See Steve G’s Anchor Setting Video’s for performance “seeing is believing”.
Much like the Delta in general appearance but far better performance it appears.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a comparison to a Delta anchor? I have a Delta on my boat that is 44 pounds and I had to do a bunch of grinding on the S/S plate on the bottom of my pulpit in order to get the 44 pound Delta to fit. I can’t get a rollbar anchor in the pulpit. I wonder if the Mantus 2 would hold better than the Delta.

I would consider the Delta to be a 'pre-New Generation' anchor (Claw, plow, CQR, Danforth).

In the New Gen anchors without a roll-bar would be:

Spade, Rocna Vulcan, Mantus M2, Manson Boss, etc

I just switched to an M2. So far, it stays where I put it.

Since they had the 20% off sale, I also added the swivel and new bridal w/chain hook.

All of the above seem like over-kill design and extra heavy-duty compared to what I had been using, but at least now I should be able to sleep better while on the hook overnight.

Since they are local, I was able to save on shipping and a Mantus Rep helped me with the install.

The M1 style hoop would not fit on my boat.

I have a Mantus with a rollbar and have found the rollbar useful in three separate cases, all involving an anchor stuck on something on the bottom. First was the eye of a 2 inch cable that was hooked by the point of the anchor. Second was a ground line from a commercial fisherman, and last was the eye of an old mushroom anchor from a mooring buoy. I got all of them up close enough to the surface where I could get a line under the rollbar secured to the bow so lowering the anchor with point going down freed it. I still haven't figured the odds of hooking the eye of a cable or mushroom anchor.

Tom

Tom, you must be a good fisherman!

I've gotten into the practice of attaching a 9" Taylor Made buoy with a length dyneema to the base of the anchor. In practice, this helps keep people from anchoring on top of me and it helps my wife take the helm when it's time to weigh anchor.

I also figure it's good to have that second line should I ever manage to catch anything with my anchor.

TexasBryan

I have done that, but with 10-15 foot tide swings, I spent a lot of time getting the running gear unfouled from the buoy line. I am going to try it again this summer but with the extra line weighted so the line slips through the buoy as the tide changes, It also get fouled with the anchor chain if the boat goes back over the anchor when the tide changes.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom