Trailerable Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
There is a 33 foot 8’6” wide all aluminum trailer with outboard power on an aluminum tri axle trailer here in Wisconsin called the eco trawler. Boat weighs 7000 pounds, makes for a complete rig like 9000 pounds, trailer has EOH brakes and brakes on each axle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._trawler.htm&usg=AOvVaw2P-Gd2Gu07MA2ZysGYFlFh

I looked into the link. Nice boat. Wonder why 100 + hp engines are shown. Being FD hull I guess it takes no more than 50 hp to cruise at 6.5 to 7 knots [just below hull speed that I estimate to be 7.5 knots].

Anyone cruised in one of these boats?

I have been on the boat, test driven it. I believe it takes like 30 - 60 hp to operate at hull speed ( I cannot remember exactly ). However, when in a following sea or heavy current - Like the upper Mississippi River, the extra HP can get her up to 15 knots when needed. The vessel seemed happiest to me around 8 knots - using very little fuel and was extremely quiet. Also no bow thruster, and a single prop hanging off the transom, I was leary of her docking abilities ... man the boat is very maneuverable and responsive.

I was ready to purchase ... but my mother had just become a victim of fraud and continues to have some significant health issues. That financial strain put the boat out of reach for me ... I still lust after it however. The electronics are just as awesome as the boat is.

Bob.

Reactions: Art
This seems like a really nice boat, but $200K seems like a lot for what it is. But my perspective is somewhat skewed, I'm sure. I get that boat construction requires a lot of manual labor, but it's not like the finishes on these boats are that amazing, and there aren't high-end appliances, nor inboard engines. Where is the justification for the price?

This seems like a really nice boat, but $200K seems like a lot for what it is. But my perspective is somewhat skewed, I'm sure. I get that boat construction requires a lot of manual labor, but it's not like the finishes on these boats are that amazing, and there aren't high-end appliances, nor inboard engines. Where is the justification for the price?

Look at the MJM 34Z which is now offered with outboards. At at least double the price of the Eco Trawler. That is a high end boat!!! Admittedly not so trailerable.

David

I look at boats like the Axopar 37XC (which has an 11' beam, so not trailerable), which starts just upward of $100K, and don't see how something like that EcoTrawler can be twice as much. It's half the boat, from a fit and finish standpoint.

Look at the MJM 34Z which is now offered with outboards. At at least double the price of the Eco Trawler. That is a high end boat!!! Admittedly not so trailerable.

David

That is definitely a nice boat. But watch that Axopar video.

I feel like there's a giant hole in the market that should be fillable: a 34-foot boat, 10-12' beam, laid out similarly to the MJM, but for under $100,000. If Axopar can put out the 37XC, with all those electronics, fancy features (gull-wing doors, FFS), and complex molds, for ~$110K, then an American boat builder should be able to do something similar for a similar price, and something slightly smaller and way less complicated for quite a bit less money. If you produced a boat like that for $80K, you couldn't produce them fast enough to keep up with the market demand.

It's way on the other end of things, but check out this little bobber (19 feet), made in Croatia. Brand new it's $7500. That's what people spend on mid-range RIBs. I'm hard pressed to understand why something twice as long needs to be thirty times the price.

Fortis - Fortis 590c

Long before the TT35 and other high end trailerable boats came along, I started a thread to define the specs of something like the TT35 and interest boat builders in building one. Tad Roberts participated in the discussion and it was either him or someone with real world building experience who told us that it would take more than $200K to build one even with a half dozen potential buyers for the first production run.

Later the TT35 came along and yes it cost more than $200K once the fog cleared. The current price of a new TT35 is $300,000 last I looked.

David

Last edited:
Wasn't that the opening post for this discussion?

Wasn't that the opening post for this discussion?

Yes it was. Totally forgot that this thread was that old and I was the originator. Thanks for pointing it out. Makes interesting reading about TTs.

David

Trailerable trawlers

Check out my lockdown project. It is a Tresfjord 28. Built in Norway on the North Sea. Solid little boat. When I get some time I’ll post more details! Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• 04D68E35-6B0E-4C74-9D54-4F3C1E1BE443.jpg
    04D68E35-6B0E-4C74-9D54-4F3C1E1BE443.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 28
Looks light and fast for the type.
I had an Albin25 and your Tresfjord looks to be a great boat.
What power (engine) does it have?

Did you just buy her?
Gonna moor in Everett or LaConner?

Tresfjord 28

It has a D2-75 Volvo with ZF gear. All new 60 hrs. I bought the boat year ago before the COVID so it’s been a great project. I’ll post some more pictures over the weekend and some specs. I think it’s the only one on the west coast.
Boat is now in the water in La Conner.

Great looking boat Kona Kai kahole looks good on her. I love the topic of trailer boats and look forward to more pics. There really is in my opinion a big void in the market for trailerable actual displacement vessels. I searched long and hard for one myself eventually getting a Vashon pocket. I do hope to see more designs come about that are not way overpriced such as the Ranger and the others. Has anyone adapted some of the nice older plywood designs to aluminum was an idea we used to kick it around a lot in the yard.

Last edited:
Here is a link to Graphite, a design by Will Allison. After it was built he towed it for the length of the Australian East Coast, launching wherever the family decided would be nice to cruise. There are likely some posts on Boat Design.net that Will made, but his website also has a bit of info. No affiliation.

https://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/graphite.16373/

Here is a link to Graphite, a design by Will Allison. After it was built he towed it for the length of the Australian East Coast, launching wherever the family decided would be nice to cruise. There are likely some posts on Boat Design.net that Will made, but his website also has a bit of info. No affiliation.

https://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/graphite.16373/

I'm not clear what propulsion method is used on the linked boat.

Awesome boat. I really like the idea of a TT. I met a couple a while back that pulled theirs around the country with a F250 van. They used it on and off the water with the help of a custon built ladder. Good luck with the project

Trailerable trawlers

Here is some more info on my pocket trawler. Built K.J. Skorgenes A/S of Norway in 1980. Certified by Det Norse Veritas. Stout boat with 5 bulkheads. Was in the Bay Area in the early 80s before coming to Puget Sound mid 90s.
For a boat it’s size nicely equipped. 80 gallons fuel in centerline tank, diesel furnace, bow thruster, auto pilot, radar and chart plotter.
And I love the fact I can bring it home on the trailer. I agree with the comments that this part of the market is overlooked.

Attachments

• C7D943EB-CAD9-488B-913D-FB2F0873F19D.jpg
    C7D943EB-CAD9-488B-913D-FB2F0873F19D.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 10
  • EEAC568A-47F1-4748-88C0-72F667601BA5.jpg
    EEAC568A-47F1-4748-88C0-72F667601BA5.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom