Porslin, crusched.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady soft

Veteran Member
Last year, we Cruised to Åland, in the Baltic sea. Because i love Åland, and the people Who live there Diesel is cheaper in Finland, than in, crazy sweden, so we took of with almost empty tanks,not so empty that i would jepardyse our trip. One liter, diesel, same as a quart with 10%intrest was 2,1$.when we left, and at arrival we payd, 1,5$. So we filled her with 300 gallon. My question is how have you secured, yor ship? Under long trips, low on water, and fuel. Because our lovely, BESTWAY roles like crazy with empty tanks. Best regards, marco.

When the swell is on the beam, my boat also rolls like crazy with empty tanks. With full tanks it still rolls a fair amount. I use my sails to steady the roll. It works great if there is any wind.

Another simple option is to tack like a sailboat to avoid the swell being at 90 degrees to the boat. Other than that, you have to spend big money for stabilisers. Either paravanes, active fins or a gyro type stabiliser. On a small boat it may not always be possible to fit active stabilisers due to space or cost.

Ok, we have no room for stabilisers, our ship, is made 1989 and I cant understand how previous owners saild. One of the first things i had to do when we bought her, 2017, was to secure everything onboard, that was lose. We learned that the Hard way, crusched porslain, sofa that ended from port, to starboard, a, s, o. I had to put locks on latches, and, rails in cabins,belts holding the legs on the sofa. You said sails, that is not a alternative, on our BESTWAY 42, but tacking is a god tip as long as you run against it, but heavy wind from behind, and to weak motorns, we have 2 volvo Tamd41, 200hp. She behave like a pig, because we cant outrun the swell with speed.

When the swell is on the beam, my boat also rolls like crazy with empty tanks. With full tanks it still rolls a fair amount.... simple option is to tack like a sailboat to avoid the swell being at 90 degrees to the boat...
I agree. Changing the angle of the boat to suit the waves may result in more distance, but it gives more comfort, less broken crockery, and less sick crew.
When the waves reduce briefly, you can often resume the original course temporarily, returning to the comfortable course when the waves increase, and so on.. Much like sailing the lifts with changing wind direction.
Apologies to Lady Soft if my words are not clear, I did try. And welcome aboard.

When the weather turns bad, I stay put!

Life is too short.

pete

When the weather turns bad, I stay put!

Life is too short.

pete

I'm with Pete. Definitely fair weather boaters here. The only time i was 'concerned' on the water was when we felt we had to be somewhere and took off in unfavorable conditions.
Once out the only real options are to change heading to try and make the ride more comfortable. You find out what needs securing and see to it doing what ever you have to do.

Our boat rolls no more than most. But when we get in those type conditions we both know what to do. Things laid on the deck, dishes in the sink, stools laid over, etc. Nothing left loose. Part of being at sea.

Everything on a boat must be fastened securely when going to sea.

I am not familiar with your area but generally most people wait for good weather.

Back
Top Bottom