North Pacific NP45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
In looking at this boat i see the house section( likely not whats called but the section in the middle) runs full width giving more area for living space but you can not walk the length of the boat outside. Im on the fence and the wife thinks we need to be able have the walking areas for tying fenders and dock lines.
Can i get you thoughts?
You all have been very helpful.
Rod

We have a similar arrangement in a smaller (40’) boat. There is no problem NOT having side decks, but it is a matter of personal preference. There may be a few dozen more responses on this, like single or twin, or which anchor.

Docking - We rig the lines and fenders on the way in. Whoever is not operating the bote steps off the stern with the stern line and secures it. They then walk to the bow on the dock and secure the bow. It has never been a problem. I single hand the same way, I simply need to be sure the bote is stopped where I want it before going astern and handling lines.

We like the full-width salon, the space inside, and the storage. I was keen on a Krogen 39 also, and it has decks down both sides. Glad we have the inside space. I suspect you two will spend far more time in the salon/galley than you will handling lines and fenders.

That NP is a beautiful boat.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
I have always wanted a bigger saloon than an easy to dock boat. Lots of people feel the opposite of me. It’s a compromise, one that some people are willing to make and one that some are not willing to make.

Have a discussion with your wife but listen to her opinion.

It’s no problem at all. Full walk around just higher up. Also enjoy a larger Saloon. Love my NP45

It’s no problem at all. Full walk around just higher up. Also enjoy a larger Saloon. Love my NP45
Did you buy new? What other boats were you comparing it to when shopping?

Is there anything i need to ask for?

Great Harbors are the same. There was one in our lock earlier this week and I watched the lady take the bow line, cleat it, walk down through the salon and into the cockpit, and take the stern line. She had no issues.

They would reverse the process backing into a slip.

A bow thruster would help you "tie" the bow while she does the stern if you are concerned about the additional time it would take to get from one to other.

On the NP's and similar style of boat, you have easy access to the top deck (sun deck) by stairs just outside of the pilothouse doors. Fenders can be placed and adjusted from that top deck. From photos it looks like there are 2 mid ship cleats. The forward one is right outside the pilothouse so the pilot could pass that line ashore or it could be reached from the dock. The aft "mid" cleat could be reached from the dock or a line could be left in place and led aft to the cockpit. All of it is very doable, but it comes down to personal preference and what you get used to.
The NP's are nice boats, and Trevor has a good reputation for trying hard to make his customers happy. Having a larger salon, where most boaters spend a lot of time, is not a bad thing :)

....... but you can not walk the length of the boat outside. Im on the fence and the wife thinks we need to be able have the walking areas for tying fenders and dock lines.
Not to mention fishing, whale watching, etc. Sure, you can make any design work but in my opinion, a cockpit & walk arounds are mandatory for me and I have had both! :blush:

We have a small side deck one foot in front of the other but it's faster, easier and safer to walk inside and through the pilothouse door. Fenders are set far enough back that you can pull them along side if it's a short cruise they just sit on the side deck. Longer cruise pulled and stored. I love having a larger salon, we don't tie up the boat from the boat/side deck so as long as there is a solid swim platform thats what we need to cleat off the boat.

Is it the N45 that only has one head?

here in the Med, and especially in Italy (mooring stern to the wharf), most of the marina have the bow mooring lines that are commonly sunk and connected to a main heavy chain.
to retrieve them, you have to pick up the rope from the wharf and move to the bowwith the rope in your hand.
in this case having walk arounds is absolutely necessary.

with different slip set-up, as I have seen everywhere in US/BC marina have side "piers", I believe the NPs solution would be ok.
even if I still do not like to be obliged to walk through the pilothouse, maybe wet and with shoes in rainy days

Last edited:
Magna,
I also just noticed that you asked about flybridges for the PNW. The NP 45 (and other's like it) would give you the best possible of both world's in my opinion. You could have a covered flybridge (helps keep rain and sun to a point off of you) with very little additional windage. Other than the added costs to outfit the flybridge, you would then have the option to use it or not as you determine how you most like to operate the boat and for poor weather, you would have a nice warm, dry pilothouse.
As far as walk around or "wide body" it really comes down to a personal preference (both are workable), something like twin or single engine, flybridge or no, trawler or "go fast", Rocna or other (oh no, I didn't mean to say that last one) :)

We’re owners who went from having salon level side decks on our previous boat to not having them on our current boat. The Admiral loved the full-beam interior space offered by the Krogen Manatee, so you know what that means. :ermm: I prepared for all the difficulty I imagined with not having side decks, but I haven’t had any yet. That was 12 years ago.

Last edited:
Depending on how much of the side isn't accessible and how easily you can get from bow to stern, not having full side decks isn't necessarily a huge issue. Personally, however, for ease of docking in unknown configurations and for handling locks, I wouldn't buy a boat without a full walkaround configuration.

Shifty,
Congrats on the new boat!! I am sure you will like it very much. When do you expect delivery?
Rslifkin,
On boats like the NP 45, you can access all parts of the side of the boat, just not at all levels. From the bow and Pilothouse level, you can go up (on either side of the boat) a small set of stairs to the top deck (flybridge area as well) where some owners store a dinghy using a crane. So going from the bow (both sides) you can access the entire length of the boat from the outside of the boat, but you do have to go up the stairs to do this. Also from the cockpit, there is usually a ladder with a hatch that leads up to the same deck. You can also enter the boat at the pilothouse and walk through the salon to get to the cockpit and swim grid. You cannot walk to the cockpit from the bow along the outside at that "deck level" because of the "wide body".

https://northpacificyachts.com/boats/45-pilothouse

Rslifkin,
On boats like the NP 45, you can access all parts of the side of the boat, just not at all levels. From the bow and Pilothouse level, you can go up (on either side of the boat) a small set of stairs to the top deck (flybridge area as well) where some owners store a dinghy using a crane. So going from the bow (both sides) you can access the entire length of the boat from the outside of the boat, but you do have to go up the stairs to do this. Also from the cockpit, there is usually a ladder with a hatch that leads up to the same deck. You can also enter the boat at the pilothouse and walk through the salon to get to the cockpit and swim grid. You cannot walk to the cockpit from the bow along the outside at that "deck level" because of the "wide body".

https://northpacificyachts.com/boats/45-pilothouse

As long as you can make that walk quickly enough and have access to midship cleats without being on the dock, I'd say that generally serves the purpose.

Helmsman 38 0r 43

We have the Helmsman 38' full beam salon area. We just pre rig the fenders before going into dock. Then one of us is on the stern hopps off and secures the stern line and then who ever is running the boat gets off midship and ties off the bow. We enjoy the ease of our Helmsman 38'. Its also an easy boat to single hand because the decks are low to the dock. Great boat to grow old on, no ladders.

The full walk around is also helpful when retrieving a mooring. The bow of our Selene was high enough that it was often difficult to see and pick up a mooring from the bow. The solutions was to retrieve midships and walk the line forward to secure.

The full walk around is also helpful when retrieving a mooring. The bow of our Selene was high enough that it was often difficult to see and pick up a mooring from the bow. The solutions was to retrieve midships and walk the line forward to secure.

We had the same issue on our GA. I initially wasn't comfortable grabbing the ball from midships as that is where the stabilizers are and I didn't want to risk snagging the line. However we adjusted to picking up midships and it is fine.

One hint for you. Cleat a line to your bow cleat and run it outside to where your crew will be grabbing the ball. As soon as the loop comes on board pass the line through it and drop the mooring back in, then walk the line up and cleat the bitter end. There will be zero pressure on the line. Then in your own good time when the boat has settled back and engines off etc. Just go and set the tie whatever way you want.

Shifty,
Congrats on the new boat!! I am sure you will like it very much. When do you expect delivery?

It should arrive in Blaine in late May / early June - with another few weeks of commissioning. Definitely looking forward to it.

Hi Rod,

As you can see from my avatar we have (had) an NP 39. It has the same set up as the 45 just a little smaller. We bought the boat in 2012 and have never had a problem with cleat/line access docking or picking up a mooring. As mentioned earlier, we set up lines and fenders before getting to the dock.

We also chartered a NP 43 out of LaConner, WA last summer. It has the same set up as well. Because we are used to the 39 we saw no real difference just have lines and fenders set before approaching the dock.

The pilot house doors open to the midships cleats which make setting springs easy.

Our new NP 45 is approaching the Panama Canal (cargo!) as we speak. Arrival right now is 1 June in Philadelphia. Fingers crossed!

I think it is a matter of preperation and getting used to how the boat performs. The extra space in the cabin in our case more than makes up for the lack of walk around side decks. It is however an individual choice.

All the best,

Rob

Yes, bought new. DM me and I’ll be happy to discuss.

Jim

We had the same issue on our GA. I initially wasn't comfortable grabbing the ball from midships as that is where the stabilizers are and I didn't want to risk snagging the line. However we adjusted to picking up midships and it is fine.

One hint for you. Cleat a line to your bow cleat and run it outside to where your crew will be grabbing the ball. As soon as the loop comes on board pass the line through it and drop the mooring back in, then walk the line up and cleat the bitter end. There will be zero pressure on the line. Then in your own good time when the boat has settled back and engines off etc. Just go and set the tie whatever way you want.

That’s how we do it, although we grab the line at the stern as you are at water level.

We have 4516 on order and struggle with the same question. We heard as others above noted that this is just something easy to get used to. We made she to have the ability to move from the cockpit to FB to bow (ladder to FB) so you did not need to go through the salon. Spoke to other owners who liked the flexibility.

And yes two heads. Also putting dinghy off the swim platform to open space on the FB as well.

Hope this helps.

In looking at this boat i see the house section( likely not whats called but the section in the middle) runs full width giving more area for living space but you can not walk the length of the boat outside. Im on the fence and the wife thinks we need to be able have the walking areas for tying fenders and dock lines.
Can i get you thoughts?
You all have been very helpful.
Rod

Check out the NP44. It has a full walk around and is the same hull as the NP45. It doesn't have a pilot house but does have a nice pilot area. I think it's a very pretty boat.

By the way 47Rah1980, I have the 4504. I didn't realize that NP was up to 16 45s. Congratulations Trevor!

Last edited:
That’s how we do it, although we grab the line at the stern as you are at water level.

I think the above is something that is worth noting re this business of berthing against a finger. You only need to get one line secured, usually the stern line - as you say, easier to step off the stern platform to do it - or use a boat-hook. Then, with the engine at slow idle, in reverse or forward, whichever works best - this holds the boat against the berth easily, meaning securing the other lines is a cinch. :thumb:

On the 42 it is much easier to go thru the salon then to use the hatch and steps.
Walk arounds are nice, but this works. Only 1 fender per side usually needs to be deployed from flybridge deck. Easy access to bow line and spring from pilothouse doors. My stairs from cockpit to upper deck very seldom get used. Have thought of removing them, as others have done.

On the 42 it is much easier to go thru the salon then to use the hatch and steps.
Walk arounds are nice, but this works. Only 1 fender per side usually needs to be deployed from flybridge deck. Easy access to bow line and spring from pilothouse doors. My stairs from cockpit to upper deck very seldom get used. Have thought of removing them, as others have done.

That's what we did on our PH40. Gave us more room for fishing in the cockpit and more room on boat deck. Have never missed it or the side decks. Would have been a different story on our GB50.

Tator

You can't have it both ways. Sometimes, rarely, we would like more interior room but I wouldn't trade my walk around decks for anything!

I have seen boats with full side decks on just one side. I can't remember the make or what they call this option. For me, this would work fine. I always dock on the port side.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom