I'm back on land!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I lived aboard full time from October of 2018 to January of 2020 in Boston. I had a blast and have no regrets! But being a full timer up here is tough....

Winters are brutal. I closed on my new home in late January and love being back on land.

Boat size is also critical. If I was on a 60 footer with diesel heat, stabilizers and at least 100 amps of power then it'd be a different ball game! I'll definitely reconsider living aboard again in the future.

Also being single was a factor too. Now I'm in a serious relationship and living aboard wasn't the right chemistry for us.

NO REGRETS THOUGH!!!! Ill cherish my liveaboard adventures for life. I met some great people and made some amazing friendships. I'll be 40 soon...glad I did it. Yolo

Well done and Congratulations on your new dirt home, SoH!

I agree with your observations; we lived aboard for six months, and there are parts that are fun, parts that are challenging but fun, and it can be brutal when the temps drop below freezing. We only had one freezing night like that in Pensacola. I cannot imagine an entire Boston winter spent living aboard!

I remember being impressed when you sold your Camano and bought the Silverton. Now you can enjoy the best of both worlds, a heated home AND a beautiful boat. And I hope your new significant other shares your love of boating.

Cheers and stay safe,
Mrs. Trombley

South of Heaven, you did not mention the size of boat on which you were living. We have lived aboard for four years ( sold dirt home) and have not regretted it one minute. Size of boat is important. We have wintered over in Maryland three times, certainly not New England cold but challenging for heat at times just the same. This winter was mild. We did not see overnights temps below 20 degrees. Just a few times times did the water develop a skim of ice that melted the next day. The other two winters we experienced ice of two to four inches. Anyway, because the water temp never went below 38 degrees, we were able to use the reverse cycle heating to stay warm and toasty all winter. The other two winters we used oil-filled radiators. Resistance heating is very expensive. We live on a DeFever 44.

What avatar? I’m on a phone and there is just his handle, click on that and it goes to nothing useful. So why not just answer the question? How big is his boat?

What avatar? I’m on a phone and there is just his handle, click on that and it goes to nothing useful. So why not just answer the question? How big is his boat?

His profile shows that it's a 35' Silverton Motoryacht.

Thanks Miz Trom.

Catalina, it's an 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht. Great boat! And a large amount of interior volume for a 35 footer. But still a little tight for full timing it.

I definitely love the idea of living aboard though and will definitely revisit it in the future.

Sorry you will have to delete your TF account, this is a 30 days advance notice lol (joking of course).

If you got what makes you happy so what, just enjoy!

L

We have a PT 35 aft deck or a Polaris35 here in Australia. At the moment we are living aboard as the borders are closed between NSW and WA where we live when not on the boat. At the moment we are looking at being on board over the winter and this morning as I write this it is 10c so well rugged up. We are on the hook so no heating but plenty of warm clothes. Will be interesting to see how we go:) Quite comfortable for the two of us plus our Samoyed Lexy who is always up for a cuddle:)
John

I wintered over in Minnesota in a 32 foot Chris, on land. I could stay warm with a space heater. I ended up closing off everything but a small 10 X 10 living area. Packed the windows with insulation, etc.

The worst part was getting on and off with a couple inches of fresh snow. Very slippery.

It was OK but really not a good experience.

pete

Sorry you will have to delete your TF account, this is a 30 days advance notice lol (joking of course).

If you got what makes you happy so what, just enjoy!

L

Well my happiness comes and goes quick...I change cars, boat's and even houses every couple of years! I get sick of things quick! 1st World problems, ya know?

Well my happiness comes and goes quick...I change cars, boat's and even houses every couple of years! I get sick of things quick! 1st World problems, ya know?
Lol I understand. I am at the opposite spectrum, my car is 15 years old (but pristine) and should last at least 10 more years, I want to own only 1 boat, and I have same house for 18 years and expect to change only once til I bite the dirt.
I am buying and using tools that are older than my grand mother.
I still wear T-shirt I bought almost 30 years ago.
And I don't even talk about my panties lol

L

I lived in Nome, under an overturned Caribe 10' dinghy with a can of sterno for heat. It was not ideal.

Welcome back to land! I wouldn't have lasted so long through Boston winters, methinks. My clumsy ass would have slipped off the dock, and I'd have burned her to the waterline in frustration, lol.

I lived in Nome, under an overturned Caribe 10' dinghy with a can of sterno for heat. It was not ideal.

Sterno? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to light our hair on fire to keep warm. We didn't mind. All nine hundred of us in an empty spam tin. We were 'appy!

Glad you gave it a go.

I am in NYC area. Was considering the purchase of a 36 Albin as a live aboard. It needs a ton of work, but I have redone a few boats, so I feel comfortable with the work.

I am negotiating with the guy now. He has to come down a bunch for the numbers to line up.

I figured with the uncertainty of the economy, it made sense to have a “fallback plan” in case the economy turtles and I can’t afford Manhattan rent. And if the economy stays good, I’ll always have a great boat.

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Figures now makes the most sense.

Welcome back to land. Certainly inspirational.

Lived aboard for 4 years (Caribbean, Mediterranean). Loved it and overwintered in BVI, Barcelona and Kemer, Turkey. I would do it again in an instant - but ONLY in warm climates. Winter in all 3 of those locations was as warm or warmer than a summer in the PNW!

Alliske, You picked the perfect boat. Great bones even if they do need work, (don't they all?)

pete

Glad you gave it a go.

I am in NYC area. Was considering the purchase of a 36 Albin as a live aboard. It needs a ton of work, but I have redone a few boats, so I feel comfortable with the work.

I am negotiating with the guy now. He has to come down a bunch for the numbers to line up.

I figured with the uncertainty of the economy, it made sense to have a “fallback plan” in case the economy turtles and I can’t afford Manhattan rent. And if the economy stays good, I’ll always have a great boat.

Be like Nike. Just Do It.

Glad you gave it a go.

I hope if you have a LOT of experience with repairing boats if buying an older (pre 1990s) Albin if the guy is dropping the price a lot or if it "needs" work.

My Albin was a nightmare for repair and I have seen quite a few others. Its the way they were built and some of the materials that dont like neglect.

Most of the older Taiwan trawlers that were maintained well are solid and great bargains. But a whole lot are time and money pits.

One of the main reasons new liveaboards abandon the concept... as they spend more time fixing in misery than enjoying the experience. Living aboard and fixing is different than buying a project t boat and working on it in a yard till she is ready for launching.

Living aboard an older boat can be economical....but you have to be extraordinary in your MacGyver abilities and repair.

Last edited:

Wifey B: Well, the best thing is you're smart enough to change if that's what makes sense for you. Hope your relationship works out well. Glad you're smart enough to pursue it and give it a real chance, which I can see why living on a 35' Silverton in Boston would not. :)

I hope if you have a LOT of experience with repairing boats if buying an older (pre 1990s) Albin if the guy is dropping the price a lot or if it "needs" work.

My Albin was a nightmare for repair and I have seen quite a few others. Its the way they were built and some of the materials that dont like neglect.

Most of the older Taiwan trawlers that were maintained well are solid and great bargains. But a whole lot are time and money pits.

One of the main reasons new liveaboards abandon the concept... as they spend more time fixing in misery than enjoying the experience. Living aboard and fixing is different than buying a project t boat and working on it in a yard till she is ready for launching.

Living aboard an older boat can be economical....but you have to be extraordinary in your MacGyver abilities and repair.

Yes this one needs a ton of work. I know the boat. It’s in my local yard. The owner listed it a bit back and was not particularly forthcoming about the issues and also does not really recognize what bad shape the boats in.

It is one of the worst I have ever seen, but for the right $s and time, it will come back. The issue is that the owner still sees more value then reality. From my perspective, it’s a liability to them. The keel needs about 6k in repairs just to get it in the water. (That 6k is yard quote). I can do it for about 500$ and a total of about 15-20 hours work.

I am not trying to sound overly confident, but I have been doing boat work since I was very young (commercial fishing family) and I have redone (completely) boats from dinghys to 38 footers. My work is good enough that folks always ask me to do their boats. The only work I would contract out would be the hull gelcoat.

I am pretty much proficient at engine, fiberglass, woodwork, and electrical on boats. I have even did a teak deck from boards of teak, cutting planks and kingboards etc..... this boat will use everyone of my skills, lol.

I figure I would have to invest 20-25k in materials and spend about 300 hours to get her “right”. At that point I could probably get 40-60 for her.

Those numbers are not dazzling, but they are a fair assessment of the work. The unfortunate part, is the owner does not recognize that. (He is the type of guy when I pull a handful of rust of the top of the tanks, he does not understand what that means. ). He also smeared silicone on the decks (I mean wholesale with a squeegee, lmao) and only on half before he got disgusted.

I am not beating on him, but this boats a wreck. The one bright spot is the Lehman diesel. It’s all in order, no smoke, and runs like a top, but has not had solid maintenance in 5 years.

Last edited:
Alliske, I am in the same area and consider similar approach - live aboard. Do you have a marina in mind?

I checked some marinas close to my work in North Jersey. The prices are reasonable (a new marina opened up and they are looking for renters. I forget the name of the town, I’ll find out)

I’ve lived on boats for a month, here and there, growing up, so I’m not worried about the boat or the lifestyle. I know it’s some of the best and worst of things.

My concern is getting the right boat at the right price.

I’ll keep you posted if I can close the deal on this particular boat I’m looking at.

Be well and stay safe

A

Yes this one needs a ton of work. I know the boat. It’s in my local yard. The owner listed it a bit back and was not particularly forthcoming about the issues and also does not really recognize what bad shape the boats in.

It is one of the worst I have ever seen, but for the right $s and time, it will come back. The issue is that the owner still sees more value then reality. From my perspective, it’s a liability to them. The keel needs about 6k in repairs just to get it in the water. (That 6k is yard quote). I can do it for about 500$ and a total of about 15-20 hours work.

I am not trying to sound overly confident, but I have been doing boat work since I was very young (commercial fishing family) and I have redone (completely) boats from dinghys to 38 footers. My work is good enough that folks always ask me to do their boats. The only work I would contract out would be the hull gelcoat.

I am pretty much proficient at engine, fiberglass, woodwork, and electrical on boats. I have even did a teak deck from boards of teak, cutting planks and kingboards etc..... this boat will use everyone of my skills, lol.

I figure I would have to invest 20-25k in materials and spend about 300 hours to get her “right”. At that point I could probably get 40-60 for her.

Those numbers are not dazzling, but they are a fair assessment of the work. The unfortunate part, is the owner does not recognize that. (He is the type of guy when I pull a handful of rust of the top of the tanks, he does not understand what that means. ). He also smeared silicone on the decks (I mean wholesale with a squeegee, lmao) and only on half before he got disgusted.

I am not beating on him, but this boats a wreck. The one bright spot is the Lehman diesel. It’s all in order, no smoke, and runs like a top, but has not had solid maintenance in 5 years.

What value do you put on your time?

What value do you put on your time?

Not much, lmao.

All kidding aside, I know boat mechanic rates etc..... I know how much my regular job pays me..... but I like to do the work myself for four reasons.

The first is that I always learn and improve my skills

Second, , get to save money doing something I enjoy. (I do truly appreciate and enjoy working on boats. If money were the same, I would quite my job tomorrow and just work on boats)

The third, which I learned is probably the most important, is that after you out a boat together, I know every inch, every screw, every schematic etc.... on the boat. I feel confident taking the boat anywhere because if anything goes wrong, chances are I can fix it and get myself back to port.

Fourth is that I think my work is better than most and if I do it, I know the job is done well. (Which has Saved me the necessity of fixing things as stated in point 3 above)

I just like boats. Everything about them. Good and bad, all boats (even some makes that folks hate). If it floats and can bring you joy, then it has earned my respect.

Back
Top Bottom