LED replacement for Ancor navigation bulb. 12V, 24 candlepower, 2.08 amps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My Grand Banks 42C navigation lights use a tall, double contact bulb, Ancor #529340. I think these are probably fairly common navigation & anchor light bulbs.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a LED substitute that puts out the same brightness and is "legal". My lights are Aqua Signal Series 50 and they specify this bulb and somewhere in their literature I remember reading that this was the bulb that made their lights legal in the USA.

Thanks,

Fred B

Bulb looks like this.

Ancor Bulb.jpg

Well. This has been discussed previously at length. When you say legal therein lies the problem. Your navigation lights were certified with a particular bulb. A LED replacement bulb was not part of that certification due to the age of our boats. So if you want it strictly legal then there isn’t an LED that meets that criteria.

Check the list from Dr. LED. https://www.doctorled.com/pdf/bulb-selection-guide.pdf

They have bulbs that were tested / certified for certain lights. They do list the Aqua Signal series 50 on there, only caveat is that the white bulb is only listed as 2nm, not 3nm as a masthead light typically would be for your size boat.

Check the list from Dr. LED. https://www.doctorled.com/pdf/bulb-selection-guide.pdf

They have bulbs that were tested / certified for certain lights. They do list the Aqua Signal series 50 on there, only caveat is that the white bulb is only listed as 2nm, not 3nm as a masthead light typically would be for your size boat.
If I am right requirement for boat under 50 is all round white light visible at 2 miles.

L

If I am right requirement for boat under 50 is all round white light visible at 2 miles.

L

Under 39.4 ft a 2nm all around or masthead and stern light is fine (1nm side lights). Above that (up to 65 ft), it's a 3nm masthead, 2nm stern light and 2nm side lights.

My Grand Banks 42C navigation lights use a tall, double contact bulb, Ancor #529340. I think these are probably fairly common navigation & anchor light bulbs.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a LED substitute that puts out the same brightness and is "legal". My lights are Aqua Signal Series 50 and they specify this bulb and somewhere in their literature I remember reading that this was the bulb that made their lights legal in the USA.

Thanks,

Fred B

Bulb looks like this.

View attachment 102138

I had the same bulb in my anchor light. with age, the plastic lense was getting less transparent. The bulb hadn't been changed since I have owed the boat, (1994), so when I thought about it, and found an LED replacement, I went for it and found that the LED is so much brighter that I am confident it will be visible at a much greater distance than the old bulb. If I find that the extra brightness is not impressive enough, I will polish the lens to get rid of the opacity it has acquired, or replace it if necessary.

Do you really think the Coast Guard or local marine police have time to worry about if your anchor light is legal? Do you think someone is going to run into your boat and claim it was your fault because your anchor light could only be seen from 2 NM? I really don’t understand the concern.

Another vote for MarineBeam - they supply excellent quality LED replacement bulbs for all sorts of weird and strange fittings. They even supply to far flung places like Australia with no issues!

I was referred to MarineBeam by other TF members, and it was an excellent referral.

If you are really worried about ‘legal’, then perhaps buy a completely new LED unit and instal that. It will cost a few $$ more and you may need a marine electrician to do the installation, but if you choose a reputable brand that is also chosen by reputable manufacturers of current/new boats, then I feel its hard to see how you would ever get into trouble for that?

A modern, good quality LED will be brighter and longer term more reliable.

Hamish.

Do you really think the Coast Guard or local marine police have time to worry about if your anchor light is legal? Do you think someone is going to run into your boat and claim it was your fault because your anchor light could only be seen from 2 NM? I really don’t understand the concern.

If there is an accident there will be an investigation and the investigators do check for things like that. Some lawsuits have been won or lost over incorrect nav lights. You roll the dice and take your chances. Personally I replaced all the light fixtures with approved LED ones. The cost wasn’t too bad and boy, they are bright.

Legal argument against one's credibility might be "doesn't follow the lighting rules"...... so " what other rules doesn't he follow?".

A stretch but it happens and is one problem with how the legal system works...unless your expert witness is more recognized and smarter. :)

For sidelights I can see the issue....for a 360 degree light that is white and brighter...and it exceeds the Navrules requirements....might NOT be an issue if you are clearly exceeding the requirements (but you never know).

I would like to see the wording of the certification of the LED replacement bulbs... when I get to wifi, I will research it unless someone has it handy.

Last edited:
The way our legal system works I can see some slime ball saying " I was blinded by the non certified LED light that was too bright! " only in the USA.
HOLLYWOOD

My anchor light is an LED, very bright. One friend says if he anchors near me, he leaves his off, because mine is bright enough for both of us. Can’t see changing running lights to led lights as the old ones keep working, and the engine is running anytime they are on.

My anchor light is an LED, very bright. One friend says if he anchors near me, he leaves his off, because mine is bright enough for both of us. Can’t see changing running lights to led lights as the old ones keep working, and the engine is running anytime they are on.

Safety Inspections frequently reveal Nav light lenses getting opaque with age, sometimes to the point that the lenses need to be replaced. A replacement LED bulb may be bright enough to overcome the opacity of the lense, though a little polish might save that expense.

Appreciate the comments and especially the online links! I'm mainly interested in an LED for my anchor light - anything to reduce battery draw when engines aren't running, etc.

Looks like there are a number of good choices and thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom