Brand of Windlass and part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duanegeib

Vessel Name
Journey
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I just purchased a 42’ 1987 Jefferson Sundeck. The second time I went out the windlass got fouled up. I am now trying to track down windlass brand and a specific part. Windlass is original to the boat. Any ideas as to the brand of windlass and/or the part.

Attachments

• 31CB2D34-2EB5-445C-B31E-7D34765CCE00.jpg
    31CB2D34-2EB5-445C-B31E-7D34765CCE00.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 39
  • B221F056-AC50-40CF-A64C-1FC28B084FD3.jpg
    B221F056-AC50-40CF-A64C-1FC28B084FD3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 37
  • 37AF8839-F6F1-4E44-95D0-798F5B9AE218.jpg
    37AF8839-F6F1-4E44-95D0-798F5B9AE218.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 36
What does that part do, and how does it prevent the fouling you experienced?

It looks like a part you could have easily made at your local machine shop. Find a good one and make friends with them. Good luck!

Greg.

part ID

The part appears to be the chain stripper. The point rides in a groove in the chain gypsy to ensure the chain doesn't stick to the gypsy and foul. Also the two missing bolts are a concern. You should be able to view the location for the part. The one you have may be a spare. Where did you find it? PBP.

The second or third time I used the windlass it made a racket and stopped. When I looked at the Gypsy that part was caught on the chain and looked all bent. I took it to a guy who works in metal and he reshaped it to how we thought it should look. It still gets caught that is why I am trying to find maker of the windlass and hope to find what the part is supposed to look like.

Hi Duane. The part looks a little light and may be home made. The design looks O_K if it meets the chain correctly but the metal looks too thin to take much beating. I would think 1\4" would be more appropriate .
The chain stripper should not require a lot of strength if the gypsy is correct for the chain size. If the links are slightly short the tension would all be on the link farthest advanced on the gypsy until knocked off by the chain stripper at which time the tension transfers to the next link giving the stripper a beating in the process.
If the chain and gypsy are a good match the tension transfers to earlier link allowing leading link to fall away easier.
There are many chain sizes, some only slightly different. Most gypsys are marked for chain size ,stamped somewhere on the gypsy. When chains stretch from wear they tend to fall away earlier and eventually slip a cog when under tension. A worn gypsy can have the same effect I believe. I have a similar problem as I have a Lofrans Tigress windlass with a gypsy with no markings. Gypsy is unworn but I'm having devil of a time to ID it.

Last edited:
Hi Duane. I posted my last post accidently early. Premature posting syndrome?
Anyhow a stronger stripper may help but the chain stripper may be over stressed indicating other problem as forementioned. Careful measuring of chain may inform you of chain size. Some windlass chain is marked every few links on side of links. If you Google "windlass chain sizes" you may be surprised at the # of sizes. Your gypsy is probably marked for size. Good luck, PBP.

Back
Top Bottom