Grand Banks forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4387
Anyone else not able to log into the other GB Owners forum?
Get error message;
The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

Have sent numerous emails to administrator over last months without response.
Created another account. Same result.
Problem the with the server is likely.

I can log in ok. After nine years, I had to recently “join again” as their system couldn’t find me! That web site has slowed in popularity and administration maintenance in recent years. However, its data base is a wealth of info on GB boats.

Yes lots of archived info. But can't access it without logging in.
Not much activity, probably due to new members unable to complete registration process.
I created a new member profile.
Still waiting weeks for acknowledgement email so i can log in.
Could someone log in and go to bottom of main page and contact a TEAM member and alert them to problem.
Can't contact a TEAM unless logged in...
I use same name on both forums.
Thanks

This issue was discussed a number of months ago. Seems like problem is still outstanding. Interestingly, any one can read the posts but you can't view pictures unless you're a member.

Same problem. I gave up. Not a lot of activity on it so wasn't worth the aggravation.

The wait for admin approval has always been the case. We are all so used to instantaneous internet access, responses, etc. that it is irritating. I believe there is on admin but not sure. If you own an older GB it is absolutely worth the wait and people do answer the posts.

If I am not mistaken, John Shannahan from the Oxford Yacht Agency at Dickerson Harbor down on the Chesapeake started the website. I am not sure of his involvement with it now a days, but the site is a reflection of his love for and knowledge of the Grand Banks. I have had a few conversations with him myself about my boat, which he had built, imported, and stocked some 44 years ago.

Bob Lowe is running what he can, when he can. He cannot seem to fix the site so when you do become a member you can see the pictures. post is a waste of time as no one seems to be aware a post was made.
I asked the same questions months ago and admin here does not like you talking about another forum and will soon delete this thread too.

Some 6 years ago I logged in as a newbie on GB forum. Lap top immediately got a nasty virus. Soon thereafter, I read on this forum there was a virus on theirs. Haven't tried since. Hope the GB forum stays up and running for GB owners.

Dead Forum Circumstance:

For years there was a great Tollycraft Forum with many active contributors and a search feature where oodles of knowledge was stored. The Tolly forum was old school format; but it worked really well. Then... Tollycraft Club execs decided to "modernize" Tolly Forum. End result - Due to some BIG BoBo... Every piece of info was lost for eternity. Many of us tried to locate the posts and reboot the site. All to no avail. Tollycraft Forum never started again.

Soooo... I say... Enjoy it while we got it - regarding this wonderful Trawler Forum!

Bob Lowe is running what he can, when he can. He cannot seem to fix the site so when you do become a member you can see the pictures. post is a waste of time as no one seems to be aware a post was made.
I asked the same questions months ago and admin here does not like you talking about another forum and will soon delete this thread too.

Thanks for the update. The main reason I wanted to join was to view pictures that others had posted regarding dog ramps. Our 60 lb dog will need something to assist boarding from the swim platform.

Bob Lowe was a very knowledgeable GB repair guy but an opinionated a$$hole who used the site as his own personal soapbox. He alienated almost all the good moderators and banned a lot of us who posted regularly. Many posters just endured it because Lowe really did know his stuff. But myself, Frode and a couple of others moved on. It doesn’t surprise me that its deteriorated but there is a sad loss of knowledge with its demise.

Bob Lowe was a very knowledgeable GB repair guy but an opinionated a$$hole who used the site as his own personal soapbox. He alienated almost all the good moderators and banned a lot of us who posted regularly. Many posters just endured it because Lowe really did know his stuff. But myself, Frode and a couple of others moved on. It doesn’t surprise me that its deteriorated but there is a sad loss of knowledge with its demise.

Bob Lowe is a right-winger, you’re a left-winger. The two of you are members of fringes that refuse to meet in the middle. So relations, of two otherwise smart individuals, never find compromise. Bitterness of the fringes have given us the world we live in today.

Just wish there was a way to mine all of the information and save it in one form or another. It was fairly active, not like TF or anything but still ok, when I bought our boat 3 years ago. It does seem to have slowed down significantly since then. As for Bob, as long as he helped me find where I could purchase that rare used single-phase supersonic flux capacitor in GB beige and Corinthian leather trim that I needed for the aft stateroom....I didn't care who he voted for.

Hell’s bells I am definitely not left wing. Hand me my ammo Billy.

The difference is that I think I can think...

I tried to sign up for the Grand Banks forum a year ago. I never got confirmation of my request and never got an answer from admin there. I think the site must be largely abandoned.

I am interested and willing to bring the lost GBO site back to life. Any ideas as to how to go about it or who to contact? Where is (are) the hard drive that was used to house the site info? I am afraid that time passing is the greatest enemy in this quest.

I am interested and willing to bring the lost GBO site back to life. Any ideas as to how to go about it or who to contact? Where is (are) the hard drive that was used to house the site info? I am afraid that time passing is the greatest enemy in this quest.

I would certainly be willing to help as well but I haven't been able to make any headway with the matter. The Facebook group is fine but honestly I'm trying to get away from using facebook for anything.

Following and willing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

The International Association of grand banks Owners (IAGBO) forum was set up in 2006 by Bob Lowe, Frode Rognstad and others based on an earlier owners forum. Frode parted company sometime ago and Bob continued to run it.

I don't know what happened to the site but i also miss it, particularly the great archives it contains.

I happen to have Bob's email from some years ago and I will send it you by private message.

As Bob would always say in his sign-off, Good Luck!

Best luck reenergizing the GB forum. When Tollycraft forum went defunct there were quite a few of us who tried to get it back up. Unfortunately the person who had supposedly be revamping the forum into a more streamlined format had hit the "removal" button for the entire thousands of information filled posts. At least, that's the story we concerned Tolly forum members were told.

Well, anyway... the posts were never again located. I even had a friend who was an expert in webnet retrieval try with no success. Other Tollycraft owners also tried like hell... none of us had success.

Guess there are some ex Tolly forum contributors/members on Facebook. I don't have time nor desire for Facebook.

"I don't know what happened to the site but i also miss it, particularly the great archives it contains.

I happen to have Bob's email from some years ago and I will send it you by private message."

Any luck with an email reply? Winter has set in and I'm looking for something to do :)

I have just sent you a PM with the address.

(Sorry, I thought I had done it.)

Good luck!

Keep me posted on this. It would be a big resource for my project. FB Groups seems like its become the key place for GB owners but FB isn't really designed to be a forum.

"I don't know what happened to the site but i also miss it, particularly the great archives it contains.

I happen to have Bob's email from some years ago and I will send it you by private message."

Any luck with an email reply? Winter has set in and I'm looking for something to do :)

I have just sent you a PM with the address.

(Sorry, I thought I had done it.)

Good luck!
Bob had an account on this forum, seldom posted, which I cannot remember user name. In the months before GB forum disappeared there were several posts made by others and myself which no one answered and Bob did not answer emails or PM's. The forum stopped sending out emails of new posts. Perhaps Bob is no longer with us. I can accept the site is lost for good.

Has anyone tried contacting Oxford Yachts or Brian/American Diesel to ask? They were advertisers on the GB site and, I think, as close to Bob as anyone. Their links still work on the GB home page. Nothing else does though.

Has anyone tried contacting Oxford Yachts

Yes, after talking with John Shanahan from OYA on a couple of occasions over the past year, the short answer is that he (they) are with us in mind and spirit, but have no additional information at this time that would further this quest.

Yes, after talking with John Shanahan from OYA on a couple of occasions over the past year, the short answer is that he (they) are with us in mind and spirit, but have no additional information at this time that would further this quest.

I figured that wasn't missed but thought I'd ask anyway. Just odd as Bob was so into it. Vanishing and letting it all go down the drain is strange. I don't remember where he was from, lived. Was he in the PNW?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom