Sea Doo for a Dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Seadoo Spark weighs 410 lbs... that's 2 average grown men or 1 fat lady standing on your swim platform ?

Yeah, but how many fat ladies are going to be riding on the swim platform when you're cruising along at 15 kts in 2.5 foot seas? ��

A regular jetski is easy to flip while under tow. Would not do it.

Also, many seadoos say don't tow at speeds greater than 5mph since the cooling water can fill up the hull..

The biggest thing I would say about using a Seadoo (brand) for a dinghy is that they can't engineer themselves out of a wet paper bag. I had a pair of Seadoos and one of them was OK, but the other was ALWAYS in the shop. Anyone who would put a thrust bearing UNDER WATER, with no way to vent it is an IDIOT.

When you put 135+ hp on an underwater thrust bearing shaft with 4oz of oil, and no vent, when it heats up, it expands, the oil squirts out the seals, now when it cools down, it sucks in water. Next time you run it, you make mayonnaise until you hear this howling sound down near the pump as the shaft seizes up. Then you have a $750 repair bill, and that Seadoo is out for the rest of the season.
Hard to believe they also make aircraft?? WOW, I hope they have a different set of engineers.

I really don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but is it possible to have a Sea Doo for a dinghy? Is it too heavy and what type of hardware would you use?
I have a 34' Mainship Pilot.

Thanks
IMHO, a See Doo is not appropriate as a dinghy for the following reasons:

1) A Dinghy is expected to be able to carry people and goods in dry conditions.
2) Even if one were to use impermeable covers to carry dry goods, in cold temperature conditions a See Doo would not be appropriate as a Dinghy
3) Lastly, there are inflatables used as dinghys that weigh less than 60 lbs and fit in a size equivalent to a large suitcase. Some of these inflatable have the reliability and robustness of life rafts. The See Doo will not serve the purposes of these Dinghys either.

Take a look at https://www.yachtingmedia.com/magazine/origo-boat-the-portable-and-100-recyclable-boat.html
It may be al alternative to consider.

Pros: -A blast to have if you have kids.
-Explore more areas when on the hook.
Cons:-you can not leave in the water (unless is mounted on the platform.
-you will always need someone to drive it out of the marina to go anywhere.
- you will need to add a shutoff valve to water intake (for towing).
-you can not enjoy the Sea-doo after few drinks (too fast and dangerous).

We carry both. Jet ski is great for exploring. I have mounted a basic sounder and we use it to navigate safe passages or quickly locate good fishing grounds.

Also the dingy and ski can support each other when in remote locations.

Jet ski is useless for load carrying.

The ski I have is the lightest plastic model available. Plastic is lighter and more durable than fiberglass.

Wouldn't recommend towing even if you block exhaust water intake they are unstable and you can end up dragging them upside down.

IMG_20200223_141347_1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom