Bridge starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you believe it will be a PITA?

We run from the FB 100% of the time, so would have to go downstairs to turn the keys(and buzzers) off. FB is now fully enclosed. Might not turn out to be a big deal - we've been through 24 locks on the Tenn-Tom and TN river, but have never shut down in a lock - yet.

GBC 1062

Start up or down. No keys.

Parallel Bridge Switch

The easiest way to do this is to run a wire from one side of the main switch in the house to one side of a new switch on the bridge. Run another wire from the other side of the house switch to the bridge switch. This creates a parallel circuit. Either switch on will activate the circuit. But you can only turn off the circuit at the one which activated it.

It sounds like a common problem, I also have a master, start, and stop switch at the LH. The FB only has a start, and stop switch with no master. In the northeast we have a lot of canals, shutting the engine off while sitting in a lock in normal practice. The problem using the stop button from the bridge is it leaves all the engine alarms live. I have to have my wonderful deck hand step into the LH to operate the master during locking operations. Needless to say its a pain at times.

We run from the FB 100% of the time, so would have to go downstairs to turn the keys(and buzzers) off. FB is now fully enclosed. Might not turn out to be a big deal - we've been through 24 locks on the Tenn-Tom and TN river, but have never shut down in a lock - yet.

We run only from the bridge and also have an enclosure and running the Erie and Canadian locks were never a problem or a PIA. You will quickly develop a procedure and it will become natural in no time.
There are other things more important things to worry about.

Same as RickyD
My Hi-Star has Keys and Independent start and stop buttons both on the helm and fly bridge and work great independently of each other. I live on board and her keys are kept secured in a safe so when I’m away for any length of time she won’t be going anywhere.

It sounds like a common problem, I also have a master, start, and stop switch at the LH. The FB only has a start, and stop switch with no master. In the northeast we have a lot of canals, shutting the engine off while sitting in a lock in normal practice. The problem using the stop button from the bridge is it leaves all the engine alarms live. I have to have my wonderful deck hand step into the LH to operate the master during locking operations. Needless to say its a pain at times.

Anything special that you have to do to get the FB buttons to operate? Mine are there but neither start nor stop work.

start and stop

Nothing special should be required to make them work. Yours must be disconnected.

I might add to my earlier post suggesting setting up a f/b switch wired in parallel to the house switch. If you do this you should add a fuse in line to the upper switch because if activated from the f/b switch you will be doing so without the circuit breaker on the lower panel.

Just a comment for those who idle their boats once secured to the dock for "cool down". Unless you come into the marina rather hot (going fast or higher RPM), the slow rpm (usually below 1000 rpm) used to enter the marina and the time to secure the lines is all the cool down needed. Your dockmates will appreciate you shutting down soon after docking and the added idle time is not really needed :)

I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete
Yes, this is the old way. The way of a person really in charge of the boat does it.

I have a 92 36. You close two breakers to energize engine control circuit, then buttons above and below are functional. No key.

Start and stop

I have a 1986 grand Banks 36 classic, on the bridge I have a stop and start switch however I have to go to the salon to turn the master switch on and stop solenoid. The boat to my knowledge is factory. Has anybody run across this. I would like to be able to rig up a switch on the bridge to where I can turn the master and the stop solenoid without having to go down to the salon. I’m not sure why the boat has a start and stop switch on the bridge without a master switchand stop Solenoid switch. If Anybody has any information I would love to hear from you.

I have an 84 GB 36 Classic with exactly the same set up, so it must be factory. Not sure why they did it that way. The short answer to your question is: Yes, you can rig duel systems below and topside. A good Marine Electrician can wire that for you. Might require some coordination with a good diesel mech, I don't know. I've just left it as is and dealt with it since 95% of the time, I'm already in the saloon and or need to go into the engine room for something anyway.

Start and stop

We have an 84 GB 36. Hull 715. Same deal. Start and stop buttons on the bridge but they do not work. Seem to be original. My guess is that they were never wired in from the start. Haven’t gotten around to figuring it out yet as Boat is fairly new to us. Interested to hear what others have found.

Hello. Different topic but my 84 GB 36 classic is Hull 712, made in Singapore. I assume yours was as well.

Start and stop

I think I can start my Albin from above although I have never tried it. Same for the kill button, never used it.

Here is why. For starting, I like to hear the starter motor and the engine for a few seconds. Sometimes I will even stick my head into the engine compartment but if everything sounds good I generally don't bother. Besides, generally I was just down there checking the oil. It also gives me the opportunity to walk to the back on my way upstairs to check for water discharge.

For shut down, I generally let the boat idle down while I do the dock lines and fenders. A quick "listen" to the engine and then I kill it.

pete

That's exactly my routine and for exactly the same reasons. I made the mistake of not doing that one time and the fuel return line on my generator ruptured and filled the bilge with 90 gals of diesel before I figured it out and got it stopped. Let me tell you how much fun it is to get 90 gals of diesel out of your bilge and disposed of properly.

Back
Top Bottom