ST-44 - Summer Storage Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
Took delivery of a new Swift Trawler 44 in late January and its already time to put it away…

I would really appreciate summer storage advice people might have…
The boat will stay in FL… I will run it up a fresh water canal (good fresh water flush…) and it will be hauled out and put under cover for at least six months.

I plan to install a regular window-AC unit in the main salon to keep the temp/humidity under control.

To follow are some questions:

- Raw water intakes… Should they be closed before hauling the boat out of the water… (and thus left full of fresh water for 6+ months), or should I just leave them open and let the water drain out?
-- Motors?
-- Generator?
-- AC units?
-- Cutlass Bearings?

- Fuel – Fill the tank (is the weight a problem on blocks for 6+ months)? Use Stabil Diesel stabilizer/anti-algae?

- Water Systems
-- Fill the water tank? Empty or it doesn’t matter (again is weight a problem?)?
-- Anything down drains and through the sump-pumps?
-- Leave faucets in open position?
-- Treat the water with anything?
-- Other?

- Septic – Pump it empty and add deodorizer… Anything else I should do?

- Electrical/Batteries
-- Is it good or bad to leave the boat plugged in all summer (battery charges on…)?
-- Or is it better to turn everything off and unhook ground wires?

- Mold prevention – any tips. Should the window AC unit do the trick?

- Other areas I haven’t thought of? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help...

First I am surprised that your yard allows you to keep power connected. Most don't. But if so your strategy of a small window A/Cwill keep mold under control and the shore power charger will keep your batteries up.

I would leave all through hulls open to drain.

And of course where you are, the Caloosahatchee River maybe, will never freeze, or freeze long enough to affect anything.

David

Instead of air conditioning, put a dehumidifier on the counter and run the drain hose into the sink.

On through hulls above and below the waterline, leaving them open but take pieces of fiberglass window screen and jam them in the exterior holes. It keeps the bugs and mud dobbers out, but allows water out, such as the dehumidifier.

Fill water tanks with municipal water (has chlorine). Drain and refill when putting the boat back in service.

Ted

See my thread: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s60/swift-trawler-winterization-list-41202.html

Where do you go for summer? I couldnt imagine being without the boat!

Do you have a choice to store in the water versus on-land or on-land is safer because of hurricanes?

Window AC unit seems like overkill but I dont know what temps the boat will see. I usually suggest a dehumidifier that drains into the sink as another poster suggested. In fact, you might need multiple dehumidifiers... dont forget about areas such as engine room, storage lockers, etc, although a dehumidifier may not fit you may have to think of other options.

- Raw water intakes… rule is usually to leave open when on the hard. If you expect freezing temps you probably need a bunch of antifreeze to run through everything. You can blow out the HVAC and water system with compressed air. You can't drain the cutlass bearings, I think you are talking about the volvo drip-less.

- Fuel – Fill the tank (is the weight a problem on blocks for 6+ months)? Use Stabil Diesel stabilizer/anti-algae? Diesel is much more stable than gasoline. Most wont add anything if they plan to use the boat in 6 months. Don't add stabilizer to stale fuel, only fresh fuel (and make sure you read the instructions!)

- Water Systems: I'd drain everything, blow out with compressed air. Water tanks are a total PITA to fully drain but you can use a shopvac to get most of it.

- Septic – Pump it empty and add deodorizer… Anything else I should do? pump it empty, add some dawn and water, go for a spin, pump it all out.

- Electrical/Batteries: my boat is plugged in 24x7 except when we are out cruising. Make sure if you have wet batteries that someone is maintaining the distilled water levels.

- Mold prevention – any tips. Should the window AC unit do the trick? Keep all cabinets, drawers, interior doors open. I put damprid buckets in compartments, lockers, hanging damprid in closets, etc. I usually winterize when the humidity level is low and then commission in spring before the humidity arrives. My HVAC is in operation most of the year. I would be concerned about mold during FL summer...

Covered well in above posts and I agree.

With holding tank - About a week or so before I pump my tank add back about a half tank or so of fresh water, Calgon water softener (grocery store) and a good dose of OxiClean crystals. At final pump out I rinse w/ fresh water and pump until it comes out clean (no discolor / noticeable solids)

Water heater - drain and a good time to flush any mineral sediment

Drain & CLEAN shower sump

Clean & leave fridge open

I wouldn't worry about FW tank - just do a good sanitation job of tank, line, water heater when recommissioning

Dehumidify instead of A/C

Open all cabinet doors & hatches for circulation, something (life jackets? etc) under mattress, Remove drain plug in bilge in case any rain leakage accumulation (if soft cover vs under roof)
Close fuel tank valve(s) just in case a hose leaks

If power avail I prefer to use batty maintainers vs regular charger for storage but that's just me and many argue with me. If you leave batty connected & on charge - be sure to disconnect any/all permanently on circuits that bypass switches - bilge pumps, CO detectors, other?

Covered well in above posts and I agree.

With holding tank - About a week or so before I pump my tank add back about a half tank or so of fresh water, Calgon water softener (grocery store) and a good dose of OxiClean crystals. At final pump out I rinse w/ fresh water and pump until it comes out clean (no discolor / noticeable solids)

Water heater - drain and a good time to flush any mineral sediment

Drain & CLEAN shower sump

Clean & leave fridge open

I wouldn't worry about FW tank - just do a good sanitation job of tank, line, water heater when recommissioning

Dehumidify instead of A/C

Open all cabinet doors & hatches for circulation, something (life jackets? etc) under mattress, Remove drain plug in bilge in case any rain leakage accumulation (if soft cover vs under roof)
Close fuel tank valve(s) just in case a hose leaks

If power avail I prefer to use batty maintainers vs regular charger for storage but that's just me and many argue with me. If you leave batty connected & on charge - be sure to disconnect any/all permanently on circuits that bypass switches - bilge pumps, CO detectors, other?

There is no drain plug on the ST44 :)

We live in Punta Gorda and have a ST 35. Maybe we could switch for the summer??

:D

Thanks to all who provided the helpful advice... She is put away till fall. Just hope the hurricanes
AF1QipNX-minkMZ2UaPFA73j1CvPUpRQu70LEgYu8OqN
stay clear...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom