Californian 42 in MDR says hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seaspraymdr

Hi!

long time lurker, first post.
I acquired Sea Spray, a 1979 Californian 42 in September of last year.
I love the boat.

cat 3208's with 1900 hours.

I hope you are safe during this crazy times!

Tony

Pics of it:

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpg
    IMG_5572.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5573.jpg
    IMG_5573.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 36
Welcome aboard. She is a beauty.

OMG, Marina Del Rey!! The Center of the Universe.

Did the slip come with the boat?

Welcome Aboard,

pete

OMG, Marina Del Rey!! The Center of the Universe.

Did the slip come with the boat?

Welcome Aboard,

pete

Right now, there are a glut of slips in MdR. The waterfront apartment buildings include the adjacent slip rights (the land is county-owned, but long-term ground leased). Developers figured out that they could tear out the old slips and tear down the old buildings, and build more units, but satisfy the parking requirements through fewer (but larger and more valuable) slips. Those slips are being quickly absorbed, and everytime another developer proceeds with reconstruction, the old slip tenants get evicted and gobble up whatever slips might be available. I can't quite place it, but the buildings in the background of OP's picture do look like new construction.

Pete - BTW, you are probably being factitious, but if not I would be curious as to the center of the universe thing. I was born in Wisconsin, and always considered that to be the very center.

I had a 1977 42' Californian. Loved that boat. Classic trawler but with a little get up and go. Handled rough seas well. Layout was amazing. So much useful space. Nice sized flybridge and still a mid deck and aft deck. Only downside were the windows that liked to leak -- but they are replacable.

Welcome aboard. We almost bought one in 2002 but the owner was nuts. Good luck with your new baby.

So far the windows do not leak.
Previous owner took great care of her.
I have all logs from early 90s.

Attachments

• 929CE84C-079B-4163-AE00-AA08E07ED2F5.jpeg
    929CE84C-079B-4163-AE00-AA08E07ED2F5.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DD6C6A04-3CC4-42D6-85A3-BE490797E99F.jpeg
    DD6C6A04-3CC4-42D6-85A3-BE490797E99F.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 7732D4A4-5079-4DA2-85DE-117913CB282B.jpeg
    7732D4A4-5079-4DA2-85DE-117913CB282B.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30
  • A861BFFF-93CE-476F-8AD9-04E7CFA9557E.jpeg
    A861BFFF-93CE-476F-8AD9-04E7CFA9557E.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
Geographically Wisconsin may be close to the center of the universe. Michigan, across Lake Michigan may be the boating capital of the world, but...Marina Del Rey takes the cake.

What would a slip for a 40 foot boat run? If you don't mind saying.

pete

Maybe not the COTU, but I do live in god's country (pick your religion).:)

Geographically Wisconsin may be close to the center of the universe. Michigan, across Lake Michigan may be the boating capital of the world, but...Marina Del Rey takes the cake.

What would a slip for a 40 foot boat run? If you don't mind saying.

pete

I do not mind.
Unfortunately, as you can imagine, it is very expensive. Varies from the Marina you choose but the difference is minimal.
Californian 42 LRC loa is more like a 45 (measured 45.6 in my Survey).
45 slip is $1260 ($28.00 per foot) per month and it's not for liveaboard.

40 slip is $1080 ($27.00 per foot) per month (not liveaboard).

I assume is like 400-500 dollars per month more than average prices in USA.

When we had our 46’ trawler in California a 50’ slip was going for about $700 plus electricity. And that was a working boatyard not a yacht club. We would never use the bathrooms in the marina because they didn’t take care or them and clean them. But at the time 50’ slips were in such demand that there was a wait list that could take years to get a slip. So we took what we could get. This was back in the early 2000’s.

Slips in the LA/Wilmington area are much less expensive and usually come with, at the least, clean bathrooms and showers. I'm found of my old marina, Island Yacht Anchorage #2. Basic, but well maintained, well managed, nice people, east trip to Catalina, and affordable.

Congrats and welcome aboard Tony! She appears to have been well cared for. There's a great thread detailing aft cabin window replacement under the Californian tab if you've not seen it yet.

Congrats and welcome aboard Tony! She appears to have been well cared for. There's a great thread detailing aft cabin window replacement under the Californian tab if you've not seen it yet.

I did not see it yet but I will check it.
Thank you!

Hi!

I love the boat.

Tony

Welcome aboard. They're great boats. I just purchased mine last August. Check out the Californian forum here on TF.

The center of the known universe is Concrete Washington. It says so right there on a wall mural.

Attachments

• Center.jpg
    Center.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi!

I love the boat.

Tony

Welcome!
Beautiful boat, I am a fairly new member as well on here and love your area.

I looked at that boat thru YW multiple times.
She's a real beauty! I couldn't get over how clean it was in the pictures.
I actually called the broker but he was a pretty grumpy guy and was short with me answering a few basic questions.
Who knows, maybe you guys were close to being under contract?
Anyways, congrats!

I looked at that boat thru YW multiple times.
She's a real beauty! I couldn't get over how clean it was in the pictures.
I actually called the broker but he was a pretty grumpy guy and was short with me answering a few basic questions.
Who knows, maybe you guys were close to being under contract?
Anyways, congrats!

Thanks for the kind words.
I just drove to Long Beach where it was listed for sale to check it out (30 mins from my place).
The broker was a nice guy at the end, he treated me well.
Put a deposit down, did the survey and then I bought it!
For being a 1979 lady....she is not in bad shape;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom