Farrell Trawler Rebuild Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you did very well! I'm sure it will look even better for next season.

As I'm usually offering an opinion, and don't want to disappoint you, ;) aesthetically, the radar mast needs to move back some or all the way to the back of the cabin roof. Functionally it makes no difference, but the NP 28 looks better that way.

Ted

If I can risk a comment without being considered rude, I would redesign the swim platform support.
Just an opinion.

L

I love what you have done with the foredeck and pilot house. The biggest problem I have
seen with those hulls is a tendency to take green water over the bow. With the way you built it that problem should be a thing of the past.

Close enough! Looking good.

Thanks! :socool:

I think you did very well! ....aesthetically, the radar mast needs to move back some or all the way to the back of the cabin roof.

Ted

Thanks, and I agree. I would like to put the radar the same as the NP28, but I have the dry stack exhaust, and I was worried about potential interference, esp. in my critical blind spot.

If I can risk a comment without being considered rude, I would redesign the swim platform support.
Just an opinion.

L

No worries Lou, and I appreciate your awareness of the risk of criticism on someone’s “dearly beloved”. The swim platform came with the boat when I bought it and it was one of the few things that wasn’t rotten! :lol:

I’m open to changing it. The big loop things do make good hand holds tho.

I love what you have done with the foredeck and pilot house. The biggest problem I have
seen with those hulls is a tendency to take green water over the bow. With the way you built it that problem should be a thing of the past.

Thanks. It would take fairly heavy seas before water comes over the front.

I appreciate the interest, and thoughtful feedback.

Kind Regards,
PNW Drifter

200.webp

Thanks, and I agree. I would like to put the radar the same as the NP28, but I have the dry stack exhaust, and I was worried about potential interference, esp. in my critical blind spot.

It won't have any effect. The radar array is numerous times wider than the pipe and will see completely around it. Most sailboats mount their radar 2 to 3' in front of their mast (bracket attached to the mast) with no ill effect.

Ted

It won't have any effect. The radar array is numerous times wider than the pipe and will see completely around it. Most sailboats mount their radar 2 to 3' in front of their mast (bracket attached to the mast) with no ill effect.

Ted

Or move the radar mast up and over the stack as it turns aft. Then you won't have a shadow.

Re the swim platform there’s the art part and then there’s the function part.
This was a fishing boat. Function was 90% of the target. Now she’s a pleasure boat. This element depends 90% on the owner. The owner and boat isn’t with the Queen City Yacht Club in Seattle where fad and style is all important. People from up north are more like function first and then there’s the fad and style for 5 to 20% of the game.

The shape of the fore-cabin shows Drifter has a good eye for a fine line and he’s a doer from up north. Me-thinks he’ll find a re-design for a new form/function and style that will suit him to a “T” and reflect who he is and where he is. And that re-design my likely be no change at all.

thanks for asking.

boat is on the hard in my workshop, about to get the old bottom paint sanded off, and then a new coat of anti-fouling.

i got side tracked on building a yacht tender. The Apple Pie 2.

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

getting there, a bit more to do still......:socool:

Drifter,
Put a skeg on the bottom aft and she should row well.

Drifter,
Put a skeg on the bottom aft and she should row well.

Thanks Eric, I won't leave that detail out.

You going to motor, row or sail that Apple Pie II? I decided to go with Dudley Dix Argie 10 for my tender.

Thanks Ben. Interestingly enough, a friend just gave me a sail, mast, boom, rudder, and daggerboard from some sort of 8 footer of the same type. The wife was wondering about a motor, but will most likely will be a rowboat

I've realized that the tender will be with my "yacht" in Port Edward. I wouldn't sail a 7' dingy in Chatham Sound :ermm:.

We have a great sailing lake nearby, and if I want to use the sailing gear, I should build another dinghy to keep at home. I'm quite experienced with sailing - haven't sailed in years -and would be fun to have a little sailing dinghy.

Outwhale - pine
IMG_2420.jpg

sheer clamps - Now we know why they are called that. :lol:
inwhale is hemlock from my property
IMG_2424.jpg

These things will stiffen the torsion flex.
IMG_2428.jpg

Front ones will have some graceful curves. Boats must have curves. ;)
IMG_2429.jpg

Sanding has started. Yuk. Tedious.
IMG_2470.jpg

Barrie Farrell 34 Pilothouse - Vancouver Island

You have done a SPECTACULAR job on your total re-build. I LOVE the aluminum pilothouse. Hope you are enjoying your "new" boat. Here are a couple of pics of my Barrie Farrell 34 launched in 1972. Great seaboat, Barrie built hundreds which have caught ten's of millions of $$ of fish. He is a legend. Pics taken last year up in the Broughtons's, (everything north of Campbell River ina pls don't come - COVID lockdown last summer). I have an 125 hp Isuzu 6 cylinder engine, gets 1.3 gph @ 7.5 kts.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_114047.jpg
    IMG_20190831_114047.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190831_113934.jpg
    IMG_20190831_113934.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks IanMac for your enthused reply.

Your Farrell looks great, a real classic and classy vibe.

I've gone for the sportfish look on the pilothouse. My pilothouse is aluminumized fibreglass on marine okume plywood, but yeah it looks like aluminum and reflects radar like aluminum.

Very happy with the Farrell hull, and my build.Lots of interior work to be done still, and but that isn't boatbuilding, its RV renovation. :lol:

PS great boating, the few times I went, had good weather, caught lots of coho, a few halibut, and saw whales, porpoises (hunting around our boat), seals, seal lions, and what was really cool was a pod of orcas. And some cool coastal exploring.

Would love to hang with sister boats up north, I look forward to crossing north without concern, just can't say when these days.

Do either of you know how B Farrell is doing? Last I heard he'd moved to Sydney to be closer to family.
Cheers!

GoneFarrell, would be fun to have a sister ship get together. Travel is a mess right now, but next summer is starting to have a glimmer of hope.

No idea on how Mr.Farrell is doing, but hope he is enjoying retirement, and basking in his indelible legacy of PNW boatbuilding.

What a beautiful boat. And a big part of her beauty is what you put into her.

HaHa I remember disagreeing w what you were doing at least once. But I positively don’t see anything to argue about here. Cabin .. hull everything .. PERFECT. A three window pilothouse, no FB, a hydraulic anchor winch and no bow pulput. All together .. PERFECT.

Last edited:
Thanks Nomad Willy for the kind words.

I think I need a bow rail, if only for safety.

I actually do appreciate the comments on improving the aesthetics, and I don't necessarily disagree with any of them. But priorities are still on core functionality. Still much work to do.

My goodness, I need a breather from all the work I've done so far. I'm running out of gas. I was just so happy to get out and do some boating!

7CC30FEF-C407-447F-8A2A-1F5B36FC17F3.jpg

Finally got my hands on this book. I’m looking forward to reading it. The life and times of the man who built so many sisters to my boat.

some updates

Its been awhile. Was happy to take a bit of a break......

The dingy now has floatation seats:
IMG_3317.jpg

In progress: Dinette and kitchen.
IMG_3447.jpg

Kitchen is tight, but gotta have a full size cooktop! And double sink....:D
IMG_3450.jpg

Fridge is 12V "solar" - super efficient
IMG_3451.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom