Gb 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stroutmail

Vessel Name
Grand Day Out
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic
Selling my business, retiring at age 70. Looking to buy 1980-88 single engine diesel Grand Banks 36. In my younger days, I cruised and raced sailboats. Also owned a 38 Express Cruiser. Also in my younger days, I raced automobiles (SCCA and Nascar) Long time private pilot. Recently have been flying my Cub, but days of racing and flying will be giving way to moving at 10 mph on the water.

Trying to gain knowledge about GB 36 and general operation of trawlers for fun cruising and adventures.

Wife is less enthusiastic about boating but I have promised to prepare all the meals. Two cats will be with us..their reaction to be determined.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your boating life, enjoy.

Yes welcome aboard. The Grand Banks 36 is hands down a favorate classic trawler. My only question for you is after flying planes and raceing NASCAR. Are you sure you can handle slowing down so much. You will never get to where your going in a hurry. Ive had some hard times with it at times. I raced motorcycles and have owned some pretty fast cars and boats. Trawler speed can be very boring- drives me crazy at times. I Hope you like fishing, happy hour and your wife a lot. Ha! Maybe ask her to pick out some new fabrics and help with decorating the interior etc. That may get her more enthusiastic about the boat. Have you ever been aboard a 42 classic They are beautys like the 36 with more room to get around Just saying Good luck!

In my sailing days. I never really was unhappy with the speed...6 knots was really fast for a 30 foot boat. The Chesapeake is so shallow, in the power boat, I was never comfortable at 20 knots. So, 8 knots is fast enough to enjoy the view.

I did consider the GB42 as well as Bayliner 4588 pilothouse. The GB36 just seemed to be the right combo of price, economy, and ease of handling. I really like the idea of a centerline engine with prop behind a skeg...I really like the economy and ease of maintenance of a single engine, and with bow thruster. I figured I could dock it single handed without too much risk. Wife is no acrobat, so I need to be close to dock and standing still before she will step off to tie off.

Welcome aboard, we have owned a Grand Banks 36 for 22 years. Ours is a single screw and is kept in Alaska. The boat is well built and will serve you well during foul weather. That particular year has a tremendous amount of bright work, enjoy the varnishing it’s therapeutic. Would be glad to entertain any questions you have.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, we have owned a Grand Banks 36 for 22 years. Ours is a single screw and is kept in Alaska. The boat is well built and will serve you well during foul weather. That particular year has a tremendous amount of bright work, enjoy the varnishing it’s therapeutic. Would be glad to entertain any questions you have.

Thank you for your kind offer. 22 years of experience will be very valuable!

I had a friend who was a small plane pilot. He used to say "If you have time to spare, go by air"

Same is true for boats, especially trawlers.

Welcome Aboard.

pete

Check out my blog, "grandbankschoices"

Lots of info on refitting etc.

Our 36 has been a blast, some friends just bought one with twin Cummins.

Fantastic blog..enjoyed much of it. Thank you!

Looks like y'all having a great time!

We have a 1990 GB 32 and love it. But understand that GB owners are somewhat of a cult. Also, you will pay a premium over similar trawlers, but with good reason. GBs were not just very high quality, they were consistently high quality in both structure, fit and finish, and accessories over the entire run of their construction, which cannot be said for very many other brands. Of course, with any older boat, previous maintenance is the most important thing to look at. Be sure to get a good experienced surveyor and and an engine survey as well. It will be the smartest money you will spend. Best case you will walk away from a bad boat and save thousands. Worst case the good survey of the boat you buy still serves as the beginning of your do list, as even a really good survey will have a few recommendations.
Enjoy the search and then the new boat,
Oldersalt

Selling my business, retiring at age 70. Looking to buy 1980-88 single engine diesel Grand Banks 36. In my younger days, I cruised and raced sailboats. Also owned a 38 Express Cruiser. Also in my younger days, I raced automobiles (SCCA and Nascar) Long time private pilot. Recently have been flying my Cub, but days of racing and flying will be giving way to moving at 10 mph on the water.

Trying to gain knowledge about GB 36 and general operation of trawlers for fun cruising and adventures.

Wife is less enthusiastic about boating but I have promised to prepare all the meals. Two cats will be with us..their reaction to be determined.

It’s interesting that our backgrounds are very similar. In my younger days it was sailing. First a Lido 14 and later a Catalina 30. Later, trailerable motor boats to satisfy my fishing and SCUBA addiction. I took up G.A. about 23 years ago and have flown everything from Pressurized twins down to Cessna 150’s. I’m still flying but will be giving it up soon. I bought a GB 42 and am enjoying my slow speed motoring. No regrets about anything.

Welcome to the forum.

I’ll second that, great blog, lots of incredibly useful information. Thanks for sharing, Choices is a beautiful example of a GB

Gotta say I love the Cub! In 2018 my wife gave me 1943 J3 for Christmas. I must have been very good that year! I can't quite tell but yours looks to be a PA18 Super Cub? What year?

Welcome aboard! My wife and I chartered a GB36 many years ago. We had a blast cruising the Florida Keys. You’re making a good choice.
Love the Cub.

Welcome. We have had our GB36 for 2 years. 1984 hull #715. Single Lehman 135 Very happy with it. Please let me know if I can be of help.

Gotta say I love the Cub! In 2018 my wife gave me 1943 J3 for Christmas. I must have been very good that year! I can't quite tell but yours looks to be a PA18 Super Cub? What year?

Plane is a 2007 Cubcrafters CC11-100 Sport Cub. 100 HP, 0-200 engine. Climbs at 1000 fpm, cruises at 100 mph. Has flaps and variable ailerons that eliminate adverse yaw. Toe brakes. Modern avionics..ADSB. Stall speed 32 mph. It is for sale if you know anybody that might be interested.

Last edited:
Closing on 1984 GB36, Hull # 496 this week. Just completed survey. Single Lehman 120. Very nice condition. Looking forward to the 40 hour, 300 mile "maiden" voyage up the Chesapeake from Norfolk to north of Baltimore. Hiring captain for first leg to get oriented.

Welcome. We have had our GB36 for 2 years. 1984 hull #715. Single Lehman 135 Very happy with it. Please let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks, I will be asking questions as I go along. During sea trial, i was happy that engine met all expectations. Hit hull speed at about 1700-1800 rpm (depending on which tach)...about 10 knots max speed at 2300-2400 RPM..no smoke. So I think the original 24d x 14p is very well suited.

I did have one question...will be using a 14 foot wide floating dock slip. So only about 12" on each side clearance. What kind of fender to you use to keep the lower rub rail in the rear section from "catching" on the floating dock?

I use fenders w an eye on only one end.
Then if you’re careful you can adjust height so the eyeless bottom is just barely out of the water. Least likely to pop out on the float.

Second option is to attach semi-permanent fenders to the float.

I use fenders w an eye on only one end.
Then if you’re careful you can adjust height so the eyeless bottom is just barely out of the water. Least likely to pop out on the float.

Second option is to attach semi-permanent fenders to the float.

Good solution for upward boat motion..I also have concern that rail ( and fender) could get above float and catch on downward movement with heavy wave motion in a storm.

Thinking about some form of vertical "fender board" long enough to always be lower (and higher) than float edge. Vertical board with two horizontal fenders?

Would love to add a vertical board to float (to simulate a piling) but am not allowed to modify float.

I thought that the GB36 had a beam of 12’6” or is yours different? If it is that then you will only have 9” per side. If the dock is floating you shouldn’t have a lot of relative motion between the dock and the boat. You may just have to try a few different combinations of fenders. Good luck and congrats on the closing.

Congrats.I owned a 36 GB single for 6 years. Great boat! My only suggestion , find a single with a bow thruster.

My boat is a single with bow thruster. Yes GB 36 has max beam of 12'6", but it tapers a bit and is just under 12' at "floating dock height" near stern. I suspect that lower rub rail at the stern is to protect it from pilings when the boat rocks/rolls in the slip..and since pilings sometimes are not always perpendicular.

I always thought boats did not move much relative to floating docks...but have watched YouTube's of storms and I see boats moving up/down maybe 18" relative to the floating dock.

Good solution for upward boat motion..I also have concern that rail ( and fender) could get above float and catch on downward movement with heavy wave motion in a storm.

Thinking about some form of vertical "fender board" long enough to always be lower (and higher) than float edge. Vertical board with two horizontal fenders?

Would love to add a vertical board to float (to simulate a piling) but am not allowed to modify float.

I use "Scotchmen" round fenders, hung so the eye is at the guard and the bottom is just above the water. Can't escape from between the hull and the dock, won't jump out.

Here is a video: Lots of relative movement between boat and floating docks---and this is in a relatively "protected" area without much fetch.

A heavy gauge pvc pipe, around 4" with a hook made from same pvc elbows is light and will allow the boat to glide into the slip. Attach the hook to the gunnels. A cross tie set up can be pretty tight and still let the boat move.

My learning neighbor tied floats all along the slip.

Here is a video: Lots of relative movement between boat and floating docks---and this is in a relatively "protected" area without much fetch.

Well, you did see that this was prior to a hurricane? And Hurricane Sandy at that. When a hurricane is coming all bets are off. And those were mostly sailboats. Most boats in marinas with floating docks don’t move like that. If they did no one would ever stay on their boats.

A heavy gauge pvc pipe, around 4" with a hook made from same pvc elbows is light and will allow the boat to glide into the slip. Attach the hook to the gunnels. A cross tie set up can be pretty tight and still let the boat move.

My learning neighbor tied floats all along the slip.

Perfect! Great idea! Thank you!!!

I gave my hull number incorrectly...it is 698, so our boats are only 17 S/N's appart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom