A big step!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NedZ

Vessel Name
Tis Grand
Vessel Make
1987 Grand Banks Classic 36
My wife, Kathy and I just took a big step toward a Great Loop adventure in 2021. We purchased a 1978 Albin 33 trawler two days ago, after looking for more than a year. Yes it needs work, but that prep will be part of the fun. I joined the forum a short time ago and have been following the many interesting posts, hopefully learning in the process. I appreciate the knowledge that you're all willing to share. Thank You!

I got hooked on traveling on a boat in Fall, 2018, traveling from St Paul to Mobile AL on my 24' pontoon boat, MikoMan. Kathy wasn't part of that trip, but has since become interested in the Loop.

Our boat, yet to be named, is in Superior WI waiting for the water trip to what we hope will be our port in Ashland WI. The previous owner is a great guy and will travel with me to Ashland.

Our plan then is to work on the boat and learn how to handle her on Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands this summer and fall as we get ready for 2021.

[snip] I joined the forum a short time ago and have been following the many interesting posts, hopefully learning in the process. I appreciate the knowledge that you're all willing to share. Thank You!

Great! You should be a Coronavirus expert by now! [GRIN]:facepalm:

Just kidding....Welcome!

Congratulations, and post pictures when you can. Don't forget to include shots of the anchor!

Greg.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Yes, we do need photos...

Superior to Ashland (Bayfield) is a beautiful afternoon run, I've done it hundreds of times. But.. Ashland to Chicago (to start the loop) is a long, long ride. Like a couple thousand miles. You need to travel the length of Superior, clear into Lake Huron then the length of lake Michigan. It will be a wonderful ride with many, many safe harbors along the way, also some quaint and beautiful stop overs.

Realistically though, I think you should add another year to your travel plans if you are leaving out of Ashland. As you know, Lake Superior can be treacherous and the prudent mariner will be prepared to spend a couple days here and there waiting out the weather. When the wind blows from the NorthEast across Lake Superior, be prepared for a three day wait.

Keep us posted of your trip., Good Luck and Welcome Aboard,

pete

Hi NedZ – First – congratulations! Fair Winds and Following Seas!

My wife and I are looking at a 1980 version of an Albin 33 Trawler. The boat does not have the mast, generator, or any electronics to speak of, the interior is carpet (because the floors are just plywood in places), and there are several leaks (high moisture wood on the inside). I won't ask what you paid... (but if you want to message me privately… I would be happy to know… LOL) …

However - I do have one question. We went to see the boat this weekend and there is a brass plate above the center helm window marked "Albin 33 Trawler" on one line... and below that... "Hull No XHU – 124." Is there anything similar on your boat? (I’m having trouble connecting “XHU” and Albin.)

Any info you, or anyone else, can provide would be greatly appreciated. Peace - Pete

Attachments

• XHU-124-small.jpg
    XHU-124-small.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
NedZ,

Hope you have many years of fun aboard "NoName". I kept my first big boat at Pike's Bay in Bayfield for 3 years. My favorite run was Bayfield to Mackinac Island, which I did several times during my time on Superior.

One time my crew (1) and I were pressed by the Coast Guard to assist in a search for a boat that had sent out an SOS (sinking). This was in pretty nasty conditions, but I was comfortable in my boat. At least until we were doing circles in 10' seas, in the late fall, and I was on the exposed flybridge with binoculars. Froze my butt and everything else on that one. It ended unhappily for the entire family of five, I think. I really don't know because once the Coast Guard got into the area we were released.

All of that to say that Lake Superior is, for all intents, a freshwater ocean. You may have heard the saying "When in doubt, sit it out". I would simply make it "When in even a tiny bit in doubt, sit it out".

But, have a really great time. Your boat should be just about perfect for the Loop.

NedZ,

By the way, the trip from Bayfield to Chicago is a bit less than 900 nautical miles. If you did 7 knots, and traveled 24 hours a day the trip would be less than 6 days.

I am not suggesting you do that, but you could do the trip comfortably in about three weeks if you cruised about 8 hours a day. I have not been on Lake Michigan except for a quick trip from Mackinac to the tip of the lake just to say I had then been in all the Great Lakes, but I'm told there are plenty of nice places to stop.

Back
Top Bottom