Decisions Decisions, on a first trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jiri_NZ

Hi everyone from New Zealand. During this lockdown I have time to do a proper research on what trawler to buy in October or November for next season.

I am big fan of Grand Banks expecially EU version but they are not available at all in my part of the world. I am searching also in Australia and if I am correct the shipping of a 35-42 feet Trawler to New Zealand will be around A$25000 mark.

So here is what I am choosing between: locally sourced Beneteau 42, Pelin Crusader or Clipper 43, or in Australia I have found stunning Chung Hwa 42, Beneteau ST34, Blue Seas 37 or Grand Banks 36 Sedan build by Riviera.

We are family of 4 and would like to use the trawler as a Campervan on water for Hauraki Bay, Bay of Islands and Coromandel.

I was leaning towards single screw but more and more advice I can find on several forums is towards twin screw. I have no problem with cruising speed of 8-10kn but the fuel economy is important to me.

One last thing, I never owned a boat before in my life

So the advise based on your experience is should i go for the smallest and youngest boat or early 80s are not that old after all if the boat has been looked after?

Hi everyone from New Zealand. During this lockdown I have time to do a proper research on what trawler to buy in October or November for next season.

I am big fan of Grand Banks expecially EU version but they are not available at all in my part of the world. I am searching also in Australia and if I am correct the shipping of a 35-42 feet Trawler to New Zealand will be around A$25000 mark.

So here is what I am choosing between: locally sourced Beneteau 42, Pelin Crusader or Clipper 43, or in Australia I have found stunning Chung Hwa 42, Beneteau ST34, Blue Seas 37 or Grand Banks 36 Sedan build by Riviera.

We are family of 4 and would like to use the trawler as a Campervan on water for Hauraki Bay, Bay of Islands and Coromandel.

I was leaning towards single screw but more and more advice I can find on several forums is towards twin screw. I have no problem with cruising speed of 8-10kn but the fuel economy is important to me.

One last thing, I never owned a boat before in my life

So the advise based on your experience is should i go for the smallest and youngest boat or early 80s are not that old after all if the boat has been looked after?

WELCOME ABOARD,
you must be a rare person in NZ.. never owned a boat before!
My suggestion is to get the largest and best condition boat that fits into your price range.. there will always be stuff to fix on any boat but for a starter its better not to add repairs to the learning curve to start. Also most step up after a couple years so buy your second boat first. Comfort is exponential related to size so dont start too small. We kept our boat at Gulf Harbor years ago and you live in one of the best places to enjoy a boat

Good luck!
HOLLYWOOD

Welcome aboard.
IMO, one of the most ost important things in seeking a boat to match your needs is determining what those needs are, and in what order of importance.
Safety is always primary, but you don't need a bluewater boat like a Romsdahl if you won't be exposing yourself to those conditions.
Boats are more likely to be stuck in harbor by weather than are camper vans. Will your schedule allow for this possibility? If not, a more weather capable boat may be necessary.
Spend part of your time now with books and online resources. Look at listings of boats for sale in your price range, and in your desired size, regardless of price. This can help you see what features are available, and from that, help you decide what you need, want, don't need, and wouldn't have even if it were free.
Starting books I have and woild recommend are: Chapman's Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling; Nigel Calders Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Handbook, andhis Marine Diesel Engines; Mid Sized Powrr Boats by Pascoe; Voyaging Under Power by Beebe; and a good book on weather forecasting, especially from sea level observation (I haven't found one yet).
As you get closer to a decision, it may be worthwhile to charter a boat with a training Captain for a week, to learn to operate a boat like what you are seeking, and to see if this voyage is actually what you and your family want to do.
Good luck with your search. John

Welcome aboard. I don’t know anything about your cruising areas so I won’t try to tell you which boat to buy. Make a list of must haves and nice to haves. I didn’t limit myself to single or twins. I bought the boat that fit my needs. When push comes to shove, the fuel consumption difference is small. Singles have more room in the engine room, twins have more maneuverability. Look for the boat in the best condition that has what you need and is in your price range. Don’t spend all your money buying the boat as you will want to make improvements and add equipment so save some for that. And have fun looking, when you are able to go out and look.

WELCOME ABOARD,
you must be a rare person in NZ.. never owned a boat before!
My suggestion is to get the largest and best condition boat that fits into your price range.. there will always be stuff to fix on any boat but for a starter its better not to add repairs to the learning curve to start. Also most step up after a couple years so buy your second boat first. Comfort is exponential related to size so dont start too small. We kept our boat at Gulf Harbor years ago and you live in one of the best places to enjoy a boat

Good luck!
HOLLYWOOD

I am now 17 years in NZ. yes Gulf Harbour marina is the place where i would love to have it. Thanks for the advice.

I'm similarly on a learn/search path. I've asked a few questions here that have gotten some (occasionally strongly-worded) responses. One of them was about shipping boats, and may be of interest to you:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/ship-shipping-50086.html

Cheers.

JD

That is great thread, I had a quote from Florida to NZ with Sevenseas for $42000, i thought it is quite expensive, also thats $42000 US, it is $67000 NZ plus i will be paying duty 5% and 15% (GST)VAT tax on the whole thing once the boat arrive. So yes it is getting very expensive. I will try to look here compare to the prices incl. shipping from US or Europe. Thanks for the tip

For a family of four it sounds like you are on the right track. Personally I would lean toward the smaller of the choices you listed but I don't know what the cruising conditions are in N.Z. You may need the bigger boat for safety.

Walk the local marinas and talk to people. If a marina has 500 boats and 450 of them are around 36 feet, you have your answer.

The single vs twin discussion has literally been "Beat to Death" here. You don't NEED twins but if that is the way the boat that checks all your boxes is equipped, buy it. Personally I would keep shopping for a single.

Check the archives for boat shopping, Look at "New Boat" or "Newbie" or "Trawler Shopping" or any similar title. You will learn a lot about fuel tanks, leaky teak, Taiwan Trawlers, etc.
Or just index my posts, it seems like I have offered my two cents worth many times.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard.

pete

Welcome aboard.

Listen to everyone. Then, make your own rational choice. Seeing as you have never owned a boat... be very careful to learn a lot before choosing. :thumb:

After quick review of posts on this thread; I have no more than beginning of this post to additionally recommend.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Saw one of those oddball Grand Banks Rivieras a couple of years ago. For a family of four, nah.

Hi Jiri, maybe not an issue for you but in conjunction with the boat consider the berth as well. A typical Gulf harbour mariner under 40 ft would be around $150,000.00 above that they jump a bit. Post covid19 things may change.

For a family of four it sounds like you are on the right track. Personally I would lean toward the smaller of the choices you listed but I don't know what the cruising conditions are in N.Z. You may need the bigger boat for safety.

Walk the local marinas and talk to people. If a marina has 500 boats and 450 of them are around 36 feet, you have your answer.

The single vs twin discussion has literally been "Beat to Death" here. You don't NEED twins but if that is the way the boat that checks all your boxes is equipped, buy it. Personally I would keep shopping for a single.

Check the archives for boat shopping, Look at "New Boat" or "Newbie" or "Trawler Shopping" or any similar title. You will learn a lot about fuel tanks, leaky teak, Taiwan Trawlers, etc.
Or just index my posts, it seems like I have offered my two cents worth many times.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard.

pete

Hi, the issue here is that marina berth are behind locked gates so you cannot really just walk and talk to the owners as you will not even get close to their boats. So it is a bit harder to have a chat wit a real boat owner

Hi Jiri, maybe not an issue for you but in conjunction with the boat consider the berth as well. A typical Gulf harbour mariner under 40 ft would be around $150,000.00 above that they jump a bit. Post covid19 things may change.

Thats true but instead of buying I can rent 14m berth for around $650-$700 per month

It sounds like you have thought about the sums, maybe time to get out on the water on a range of boats to find what feels the best fit.
Be warned though - once bitten you will most likely will be infected for life.
The places you want to cruise will be fine for those boats in the type of weather that you would venture out in.
You’ll both know when you find the right boat, if fact you will most likely be the second person to find out.

Unless boaters are different in N.Z. I would still think you could get on the docks. Dress nicely, be polite and hang around the gate. When a boat owner goes through "schmooze" him a bit and you are most likely "IN".

Or, there must be some public marinas or tie ups somewhere in N.Z.

pete

Please Understand:

1. All boats have a soul [used boats often have a matured soul]

2. Majority of boats' soul is female [thus, we nearly always call them "her" and "she]

3. Women usually emit the energy-ability for initial attractions that may begin a relationship

4. Regarding boats: "She" will emanate toward you the initial attraction energy that may become your and "her" relationship

Soooo... The end result - Boats often chose their owner!

:dance: :speed boat:

Here are a couple of my opinions:

#1 If you are spending lots of time on the hook you might, like me, prefer an aft stateroom as the bow area is much noisier.

#2 If you have difficulty negotiating stairs, you would probably prefer a sedan model over the aft stateroom.

#3 I agree with previous poster that buy enough boat in the beginning. Like buying your first motorcycle, right away you want something bigger and faster.

#4 I am a twin screw guy. In fact I just put a bow thruster in my 55. I love it. My 47 did fine most of the time with just being a twin. Only once in unfamiliar wind and current did I lose it and put a scratch in the hull. I'm thinking that a 42 twin for you could be good. It has enough size for the family comfort. Twice in two years I have had to arrive in port on one engine. Could I have solved my problem with time and effort while at sea?, maybe. But to just finish the trip on one, that is convenience. If I had a larger boat like a 42 with a single, then I want a thruster, maybe two, especially if I am new to boating.

Put fuel economy low on your list. It takes a the same HP and almost the same fuel to move a specific boat at 8 KTs regardless of one or two engines. Fuel will not be your largest expense unless you insist on going 20 knots or very long distances.

Dont go smaller than you have to because boats get small when four people are on them for any length of time.

Chartering and taking lessons will help you avoid buying the wrong boat as hollywood advises.

Last edited:
GB 36 is too small for your fam,
especially with 2 big growing kids.
Family of 4 would be comfortable in a GB 42.

Jay Bremerton WA

First off, a hearty welcome aboard. You will find some great wisdom on this blog and a fair amount of tongue in cheek. Some points from my perspective:
1. Any boat is a compromise, the trick is to identify what's really important and just deal with the rest.
2. Fuel consumption is really a non-issue. As previously opined, it take the same energy to move the same boat through the water at the same displacement and speed.
3. I recommend chartering at first: you get to try different boats, you get to learn what works and what doesn't for you and your family, you get to learn boat handling and so forth. I recommend chartering with a captain so that you can safely learn.
4. Twin vs. single: your call and there are threads on here that completely dissect this issue.
5. I personally like the Grand Banks (42), almost anything from DeFever, don't care much for Tollycraft, Californian and so forth but this is personal preference.
Good luck, stay in contact

First off, a hearty welcome aboard. You will find some great wisdom on this blog and a fair amount of tongue in cheek. Some points from my perspective:
1. Any boat is a compromise, the trick is to identify what's really important and just deal with the rest.
2. Fuel consumption is really a non-issue. As previously opined, it take the same energy to move the same boat through the water at the same displacement and speed.
3. I recommend chartering at first: you get to try different boats, you get to learn what works and what doesn't for you and your family, you get to learn boat handling and so forth. I recommend chartering with a captain so that you can safely learn.
4. Twin vs. single: your call and there are threads on here that completely dissect this issue.
5. I personally like the Grand Banks (42), almost anything from DeFever, don't care much for Tollycraft, Californian and so forth but this is personal preference.
Good luck, stay in contact

Well... make my fanny blush! :dance:

How much do you care for Tollycraft? :popcorn: :socool:

As I pointed out, a boat is a very personal thing and a compromise. My personal preference is towards GB, defever and the like, I have chartered two Tolly's, they worked well, the layout below decks did not suit what I wanted, one particular boat had the battery bank on the starboard side along with the generator that load was offset by a water tank on the port. So after days of cruising as the water was used, we had a list to starboard (?!!). So personal preference only, good luck with yours

Reactions: Art
Hi. I live mostly on my converted fishing boat trawler. I cruise from Tauranga to Nth Cape in the summer. Love in BoI in winter. I suggest you look at one of the already converted ex fishing boats. There are several around that are for sale. Have you not checked Trademe? These boats are built for NZ waters. Contact me if want 02102424422

34' Too Small

In my opinion, 34' trawlers are generally too small, especially for a family of four. When I was searching for a trawler I found that the engine room access in 34's was particularly difficult. I ended up at 42' and have been glad for the extra room. I will say I was very happy with my 31' Seaquest trawler, but not for four people.
Glaukos

Here are a couple of my opinions:

#1 If you are spending lots of time on the hook you might, like me, prefer an aft stateroom as the bow area is much noisier.

#2 If you have difficulty negotiating stairs, you would probably prefer a sedan model over the aft stateroom.

#3 I agree with previous poster that buy enough boat in the beginning. Like buying your first motorcycle, right away you want something bigger and faster.

#4 I am a twin screw guy. In fact I just put a bow thruster in my 55. I love it. My 47 did fine most of the time with just being a twin. Only once in unfamiliar wind and current did I lose it and put a scratch in the hull. I'm thinking that a 42 twin for you could be good. It has enough size for the family comfort. Twice in two years I have had to arrive in port on one engine. Could I have solved my problem with time and effort while at sea?, maybe. But to just finish the trip on one, that is convenience. If I had a larger boat like a 42 with a single, then I want a thruster, maybe two, especially if I am new to boating.

Yes i am leaning towards 42 , i liked the europa at first but it seems 42 classic or even 46 classic are better priced and i dig the design now too. What is that little sail boom at the back for? The other thing is , i like the aft cabin, would prefer 3 rooms but it is unlikely on 42. Having kids 10 snd 13 would be nice to keep them on the other side of the boat ;-)

Hi. I live mostly on my converted fishing boat trawler. I cruise from Tauranga to Nth Cape in the summer. Love in BoI in winter. I suggest you look at one of the already converted ex fishing boats. There are several around that are for sale. Have you not checked Trademe? These boats are built for NZ waters. Contact me if want 02102424422

Hi
There are many boats on trademe, bur when you spending around $300 i have to like it too, and oh boy i dont like what i see there. The boats are mostly wooden, ugly design, they might be suitable for nz waters but all those pelins, warwicks etc are not my style at all. If i decide on newer i like beneteau st34 and 42, rhea36 or i really like the classic looks of grand banks, chung hwa, island gypsy, mariner etc , plus to have grand banks in nz make it more special and potentially an advantage when selling, as it is so few of them here.
There is grand banks sedan 42 by riviera for sale in Tauranga at the moment.

I am not talking about Pelins or Warwicks but ex fishing boars. Donna Marie, Souvenir Cobra 200k max.

Hi, Jiri, as an ex-NZer, special welcome to the TF. I can also lay claim to having cruised those areas you mentioned, but, back then we had what was called a maxi trailer-yacht, (Gazelle 26), and we were able to tow her to those cruising grounds, then launch when there, whereas you're talking about some fairly lengthy (and exposed) coastal passages to reach the cruising grounds mentioned via the water, as you intend. That mandates ideally a really seaworthy boat as well. Although, with plenty of time, a keen weather eye out, and the willingness to duck into protective bays where necessary, bay-hopping up there can be done with virtually anything I guess.

As to not having owned a boat before - not really an issue. I would bet you're reading everything possible up about seamanship right now, as I did. Taking a boating course is also good to do during your winter. I did basic boatmaster and Boatmaster Coastal, over two winters, via what were called the polytechs back then. When it comes to actually 'taking her out', you'll have rehearsed it a thousand times dropping off to sleep, and some practical experience in someone else's boat also helps. (Yes, there's chartering as well). You'll still stuff up a few times, but if moving slow, the damage is superficial - usually. :D

That GB 42 at Tauranga sounds good. However, whatever you get, you just have to "jump in, and hayang orn", as the musician on the Andy Griffith show used to always say when they were having a jam... :)

Best of luck - the areas mentioned are fantastic cruising grounds, although we found Moreton Bay here off Brissy is pretty good as well.

Back
Top Bottom