Second anchor roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rightcourt

I did a quick search through postings and didn't really come up with this being discussed before. I am looking at the pros and cons of storing my second anchor in a anchor roller next to the one that I already have on my bow. That way it is much easier to deploy just by switching the my anchor chain.My 32ft Nordic tug does not have a bow pulpit. It does have 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker. I do have a rigid Dyer dink that is held off the swim platform with weaver davits so it seems to balance out the extra weight on the bow.
Any thoughts appreciated

Rich

On my sailboat I carry a second anchor on the sprit rigged to its own rode. In 12 years and 15,000 miles, it's never been used. If your primary anchor is a modern design correctly sized, I wouldn't bother, unless there is no where else to keep it.

I have two on my pulpit. I added a piece of wood as shown in the pcs below.
When we cruised in Canada we used the Delta because it's pretty weedy and Danforths don't do well in weeds. But around LI Sound it's muddy so I like the Danforth for most of my cruising.
I've deployed a second anchor on several occasions. Not really sure it was necessary, but when it becomes necessary it's usually too late.
Also great for short scope situations, it's handy so I just do it.
Hope this helps.

NO intent on making this an anchor style post. Just making the point that if you carry a second anchor a different type is sometimes wise.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi Rich,

A previous boat of mine did not have a pulpit either. I made a mock up out of wood and had the one in the photo made at a local machine shop. The main roller was used for the 44 lb. Delta. While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor. It worked very well for us.

The first photo is fabrication in the shop. Second is several years later. The windlass had been removed for servicing. The third one is because I like the sunset in Quisset Harbor, Falmouth, MA

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 37
Hi Rich,

A previous boat of mine did not have a pulpit either. I made a mock up out of wood and had the one in the photo made at a local machine shop. The main roller was used for the 44 lb. Delta. While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor. It worked very well for us.

The first photo is fabrication in the shop. Second is several years later. The windlass had been removed for servicing. The third one is because I like the sunset in Quisset Harbor, Falmouth, MA

Rob

That's some nice SS work!:thumb:

I did a quick search through postings and didn't really come up with this being discussed before. I am looking at the pros and cons of storing my second anchor in a anchor roller next to the one that I already have on my bow. That way it is much easier to deploy just by switching the my anchor chain.My 32ft Nordic tug does not have a bow pulpit. It does have 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker. I do have a rigid Dyer dink that is held off the swim platform with weaver davits so it seems to balance out the extra weight on the bow.
Any thoughts appreciated

Rich

Welcome aboard. We have a Fortress anchor as a backup. I have been storing it on the bow rail but we never have used it so I may start storit in the deck box on the bow. Don’t have a close up photo so this is the best one I have.

Attachments

• 3B1295B5-5062-41A7-B404-5ABBB23A731E.jpg
    3B1295B5-5062-41A7-B404-5ABBB23A731E.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34
Double anchor rollers

Thanks for the quick reply and the pics..Your sunset pic took me back to times when we use to visit Cuttyhunk and Block Island while in RI. Now in Oriental, mooring ball are few. But I do like the idea of running the mooring line through the anchor roller without disturbing the primary anchor. My idea of a second anchor roller was to be able to SWITCH easily between a Bruce anchor and say a Delta or Rocna. Not deploying 2 anchors at once.

Rightcourt

IMG_1712.jpg
37 Nordic Tug, primary anchor chain, secondary chain and rode. Only used two hunkered down for Hurricane.

2 with rode ready to go. The plow goes through the pulpit and the Danforth out in front

:socool:

Attachments

• Copy of MSI for sale 011.jpg
    Copy of MSI for sale 011.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor.

That's an interesting idea to run the mooring line through, but wouldn't the boat sail around less in the wind with the mooring line coming slightly off-center from the hawser hole or bow cleat?

That's an interesting idea to run the mooring line through, but wouldn't the boat sail around less in the wind with the mooring line coming slightly off-center from the hawser hole or bow cleat?

I don't know!

Rob

That's some nice SS work!:thumb:

Credit goes to Brian Watrous, Watrous Brothers Machine Mystic, CT.

He did all the forming and welding of the 1/4" 316 L plate. The bollard was made of heavy wall pipe.

Brian fabricated then gave it to me to polish. In grinding down the welds not one bit of slag or pitting was found. Once ground and polished it looked like one piece. I did the polishing with "3M" type pads from coarse to fine on a DeWalt angle grinder.

Rob

Credit goes to Brian Watrous, Watrous Brothers Machine Mystic, CT.

He did all the forming and welding of the 1/4" 316 L plate. The bollard was made of heavy wall pipe.

Brian fabricated then gave it to me to polish. In grinding down the welds not one bit of slag or pitting was found. Once ground and polished it looked like one piece. I did the polishing with "3M" type pads from coarse to fine on a DeWalt angle grinder.Rob

Cool! My wife and I do metal sculpture work, lots of SS. We also do cutting and design work for other people. If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish!:D Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .

If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish!:D Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .[/QUOTE]

Almost a direct quote from Brian!

Rob

If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish!:D Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .

Almost a direct quote from Brian!

Rob[/QUOTE]

Yup, SS is a bear to work with!

Back
Top Bottom