Mainship 30 Pilot II Engine alarms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelsey

Vessel Name
Ebbtide
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II
I have a 2003 with a single Yanmar 6LPA-STP engine and I don't get the alarms when starting the engine. As I understand, Mainship did it's own wiring, so I was hoping someone has the schematic for my configuration. Is it possible that Marlow would have the specs from the older Mainship models?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same boat.

Just wondering which alarms you're getting at start up. I am only getting one alarm, "low oil pressure" aural alarm. As soon as the oil pressure comes up, the alarm shuts off. That circuit is shown on the engine schematics.

I'm thinking of adding some others - a fast acting high exhaust temp(no water cooling) maybe a few others - boost pressure

RGano had a thread on alarm circuits and adding some indicator lights to know what is actually triggering the alarm. Do a site search and I'm sure it will come up.

I would put a test light on the buzzer to check for power. It could be as simple as a dead buzzer.

RGano had a thread on alarm circuits and adding some indicator lights to know what is actually triggering the alarm. Do a site search and I'm sure it will come up.

Yup, the Mainship aural-only alarm seems a shortsighted approach by the manufacturer when sending the consumer out the door with a 30,000-dollar engine. So I elected to install a Seaward Marine alarm panel made for the Yanmar. They are no longer made, but can be found on eBay and such places. The best a couple of us here have been able to figure out is that Mainship took all five or six (if your engine has a boost alarm switch) alarms and ran them them to a common point which none of us have found and thence to a piezo alarm on the back of the console. Nobody has a schematic of it. Check out the thread I did on it a couple years back.

Hey, Thanks for the fast response. I'm not getting any alarms, my gauges all work though. So I will test around to see if the alarm works and run that back to the gauge and sensors. I know there is at least one sensors transmission temp, with no gauge, so I would expect an alarm or light for that etc. I will keep you posted.
Jim

Jim, I've just now gotten into the wiring of my boat - (bought it in OCT of last year). Behind the helm panel, I found a piezo alert device handing loose (cut loose) - a second device connected and working but again, just hanging loose. Looks like a replacement., evidence of at least one aural alert failure. so I would start with that. The alert is on continuously whenever there is power to the panel & engine, but engine is not running. I assume the result of no oil pressure.

The schematic I have is from the 2007 Operating Manual for the engine - very generic. It shows a "buzzer" as well as a bank of warning lights. (those are not on my panel). I may have a hard copy that is more specific to the boat - will have to check next trip to the boat.

Also found another device hanging loose that looks like it came out of a 2.25" panel hole below and to the left of the steering wheel - that now has a small depth sounder display mounted in it. I think the loose device is related to emergency engine shut down and ER fire control system - still investigating that one.

Unfortunately, I'm five hours from the boat. Only on it a few days out of the month. Not constrained by this virus thing YET - but happy to help you if I can.

Last edited:
Thanks, The only place I'm allowed to go to is the boat yard to work on my boat. I will check those items out. Incidently, I just replaced my "fire-Safe" module ($350) I hope the display is ok, that is below the rudder indicator on the port side of the wheel.

Jim, I've just now gotten into the wiring of my boat - (bought it in OCT of last year). Behind the helm panel, I found a piezo alert device handing loose (cut loose) - a second device connected and working but again, just hanging loose. Looks like a replacement., evidence of at least one aural alert failure. so I would start with that. The alert is on continuously whenever there is power to the panel & engine, but engine is not running. I assume the result of no oil pressure.

The schematic I have is from the 2007 Operating Manual for the engine - very generic. It shows a "buzzer" as well as a bank of warning lights. (those are not on my panel). I may have a hard copy that is more specific to the boat - will have to check next trip to the boat.

Also found another device hanging loose that looks like it came out of a 2.25" panel hole below and to the left of the steering wheel - that now has a small depth sounder display mounted in it. I think the loose device is related to emergency engine shut down and ER fire control system - still investigating that one.

Unfortunately, I'm five hours from the boat. Only on it a few days out of the month. Not constrained by this virus thing YET - but happy to help you if I can.
That dangling thing is most surely the SeaFire fire alarm and override switch module for the engine room fire suppression system. Is there a bottle in the ER? I think you need to bring that boat over to my pier post CV19 and lets sort it out cuz if the PO did that sort of silly thing to it, the boat may have a few other disastrous secrets waiting. :)

For now rolling south in Pamlico Sound.

Hi Rich,

Sounds like you're having a smooth trip.:thumb:

Weather has slowed down progress on my boat. Either too cold or wet (bottom job took a month), now this virus thing has everyone treading water to see where it's going.

Been working thru issues as I uncover them. Got into the helm panel last trip - replaced the Cobra VHF with a Standard Horizon with AIS receiver as you suggested - of course nothing is easy - mounting hole had to be whittled out for things to fit. PO wiring typical. Not a lot of clean up behind the helm panel necessary but the few changes/additions were not up basic marine standards - automotive butt splices, no water proofing - lot of 3M tape - doing nothing. etc etc.

There is a fire suppression system of some kind in the ER - bottle and some plumbing. Looks OEM. If there is any documentation - I haven't found it -yet! My Sea Ray had a similar set up - no docs, no info - makes one appreciate FAA requirements to document everything on A/C. Bonanza docs fill a 4 drawer (but it's a little older - 1949)

If it's a SeaFire System - their web site is worthless - no data there at all. Install manual is a joke.

Once behind the helm panel "alone" with time to think, (some times I have more "HELP' than I can live with - kids) I realized what ever the device was had been removed to make room for the depth finder. When the engine would not start after they cut it out - they spliced it back in and tie wrapped it to a wire bundle and closed the lid!! (Red Neck engineering at it's best)

Really didn't want to screw with it at the time - boat runs fine as is - but longer term I will put it back to OEM if possible - compliant with good practices and codes.

I suspect you are correct - probably a few hidden zingers - buried somewhere. Been very suspect of anything that looks like it's been changed and closely watching operationally critical parameters - temps/pressures/amps etc. when away from dock.

Have a fun trip around the lower end .... thanks for the comments!

Smooth seas and fair winds!
Larry

It might be easier and more reliable to just start with a new system. Seaboard Marine has parts to make up a custom system. It looks pretty comprehensive on their web site. I have no experience with them so I can’t say they are good or bad. I just googled marine alarm system and they came up. If you do it from scratch then you will know it is done correctly and have confidence in it.

Thanks Dave,

I'm kinda from the ... "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" ... school of engineering. I suspect there was nothing wrong with the original install - but no depth finder on the MS Sound is pretty risky. - mostly sand and mud, But there are a few big chunks of limestone around. Most folks don't have the tools to cut a 2.25" hole in the helm panel - so they took the easy way out.

If I can find docs or figure out how to make it safe for testing, I'll make sure it's operational and dependable - If not, will look at total replacement and upgrade. Fireboy has a good web site on the subject.

How's the engine work coming??

Larry

Last edited:
I have a 2003 with a single Yanmar 6LPA-STP engine and I don't get the alarms when starting the engine. As I understand, Mainship did it's own wiring, so I was hoping someone has the schematic for my configuration. Is it possible that Marlow would have the specs from the older Mainship models?

Any help would be appreciated.

Forget trying to find a wiring diagram. Besides the diagram won't tell you where it's located.

I have a 400 with 2 helms and 1 alarm is low volume. A mud dauber got it the small hole. Look at the wiring and you'll see a small black round alarm. Mine is a Projects Unlimited AI-430. Here is a link to one on E-Bay. $3.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Eng...-12V-AI-4228-TF-LW140-4-R-AL-430/273842389448.

As with anything, test it first. Strip back the wires and use a voltmeter. If you have voltage key on-engine off you need an alarm.

If not you have another issue. Test it by disconnecting 1 wire, apply 12 volts to the 2 wires on the alarm and see if it make noise. If so it's the circuit. Think about buying a power probe for this kind of testing.

The alarm sounds until you have 12 volts on the black wire. The 12 volts comes when there is oil pressure.

The alarm is zip tied to the wiring harness. That's how I found the upper helm alarm.

PM me and I'll send a picture of my alarm under the panel.

Judging by what we found in a couple of 30 Pilots with the 6LPA-STP, Mainship most likely did not connect aught but the low oil alarm, which is the the one which should come on when first cranking up the engine.There are six possible alarms from this engine, and it is a shame to be running around with engines this expensive without the benefit of all the possible alerts one can get. I would not run the engine until the low oil pressure alarm is fixed. It is pretty simple, and is more than likely a wiring failure of the piezo alarm failure. If you are lazy and don't want to follow the wiring first, change the piezo; then you are gonna be chasing the wiring anyway, but at least you got to put it off. :)

Short follow up: Think I found a suitable panel Led lamp and/or buzzer for Mainship Pilot 30 II helm.

This is a buzzer/lamp combo to replace the behind the panel alert buzzer

22101-albums953-picture6040.html

These are the lamps only version:

9k=

Planning to use these to add a few critical early warning lamps not found on the Mainship Pilot. Big enough to get your attention.

Amazon - Combo = $6.00 - lamps only $1.50 @ 10 pack

Last edited:
Got a photo?

Kewl. You needa bring it over to compare notes when I get home from this odyssey and the CV thing is over.

Think you are likely having more fun than we are. Haven't been to the coast since this CV19 started. Of course the weather has been beautiful .... Several projects started but non finished. Beefed up the ladder/step to the salon but haven't installed it yet - seems to be a common weak spot on some of these little boats.

May be after hurricane season - new forecast came out last couple days - more active than average on the Atlantic side this year - Gulf now warmest water in years so GOM likely to be very active too. Guess I will go up river for the Summer as soon as I can get ready for the trip.

Be safe and enjoy!

I have not companionway ladder issues, but I would like to see your work.

Not having fun as such. This delivery is real work, especially after the Lake O option went away due to water levels. We can hardly even find a place will to let us moor for water and go. Tracking this beast down the AICW with often 2 feet under the keel is not a job for the faint of heart, and weekend boaters are still a bit of a nuisance, especially when stopped at bridges as we drift in the current often sideways in narrow channels. It's the kind of work I know and do like, but the CV crisis ruined it for the admiral, and she is NOT happy with 0600 reveille, o700 underway, and 10-hour slogs to git-r-done. Here in Lauderdale, we may have received our last fill of water until Carrabelle, and it is only a 150-gal tank (boat meant to be in the islands with watermaker running).

Sounds like you have your hands full with the boat. But, all things considered, you are probably safer (CV wise) being isolated. Might be smart not to get in a hurry!

Ladder issues kinda like a 4 legged stool with a short leg or trying to climb a stack of wet Sears Catalogues.

Last edited:
Rich, I sent you a PM that may help in your search for h2o.

Brett

Pilot 30 Engine alarm interface with SeaFire system

This tidbit was reported separately to me about what the author found on his 30 Pilot II:

"BLAME IT ON THE SEA-FIRE SYSTEM. I believe Mainship wired the alarms in series to accommodate the Sea-Fire system. One of the two leads from the mainship buzzer is wired to the Sea-fire control box (terminal 16). Based on a Helm Electrical Schematic I found for older Mainship 30s with Yanmars, it appears the alarm switches (in series) are attached to terminal 12. So if I wired the Seaward alarm panel the way I had planned, I would be by-passing the Sea-Fire system etc. which I'm totally unfamiliar with. Your tee-ing off approach (whereby I left the original wiring intact by simply running a tee from each alarm wire to my new Seaward alarm panel) is looking better and better."

Sea Fire Systen

Guess you are securely moored to some substantial! Wx guys going nuts around here - so far their forecast is anything but accurate! Spring time in Alabama!

Not sure I follow the "tip" you posted. Appears to me MainShip tried to come up with a single station helm design that could easily be expanded to a dual station. I really haven't probed around behind the helm panel too much. I think I have some OEM Schematics - but they're on boat in PNS - I'm 350 mi north on Sand Mountain for the duration.

Pre assembled the radar arch from "Towers in Box" yesterday - impressive product! Some really nice CNC work. No qualms at all about swinging my big behind over the side of the dock hanging on to it.

Also started pre-wiring it - much easier than trying to do it on the boat. Will likely put a couple of com antennas up there, Radar Dome, lights, GPS, TV, WIFI and Cell - antennas just to get them up out of the way.

Stay safe,
Larry & All

Last edited:
Guess you are securely moored to some substantial! Wx guys going nuts around here - so far their forecast is anything but accurate! Spring time in Alabama!

Not sure I follow the "tip" you posted. Appears to me MainShip tried to come up with a single station helm design that could easily be expanded to a dual station. I really haven't probed around behind the helm panel too much. I think I have some OEM Schematics - but they're on boat in PNS - I'm 350 mi north on Sand Mountain for the duration.

Pre assembled the radar arch from "Towers in Box" yesterday - impressive product! Some really nice CNC work. No qualms at all about swinging my big behind over the side of the dock hanging on to it.

Also started pre-wiring it - much easier than trying to do it on the boat. Will likely put a couple of com antennas up there, Radar Dome, lights, GPS, TV, WIFI and Cell - antennas just to get them up out of the way.

Stay safe,
Larry & All

We are moored to Salty Sam's Marina at Fort Myers Beach until Tuesday morning. Then I think we will amble north in the ICW until we hit Tampa Bay area and there await a crossing window which at this time seems fleeting.

Yeah, I am not sure I understand all there is about the other owner's quote, but he is the one who followed the wiring under his console.

My wife had relatives in Section many moons ago, the Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom