Grounding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trollop

I have been lurking for a while but now I have a question that should be easy for the experienced mariners to answer. My CHB 34 has a hinged radar/light mast which allows me a covered slip. It is a struggle to raise and nearly impossible to lower single handed. As a retired engineer my solution is to install a hydraulic cylinder powered by a 12v pump. In addition to the + &- connections there is a ground lug. On a automobile I would connect the ground wire to the block. I believe that is the same with a boat. Am I right?

I suspect that I am about to learn something, but I don't see the point of grounding 12v equipment except to reduce electrical interference, and that is usually on signal lines, not motors. But let's hear what the experts have to say.

Most 12 volt isn’t grounded. The only thing I have that is grounded is the battery charger.

It could be used for lightning protection ground. See ABYC E-4 and E-11.

I have been lurking for a while but now I have a question that should be easy for the experienced mariners to answer. My CHB 34 has a hinged radar/light mast which allows me a covered slip. It is a struggle to raise and nearly impossible to lower single handed. As a retired engineer my solution is to install a hydraulic cylinder powered by a 12v pump. In addition to the + &- connections there is a ground lug. On a automobile I would connect the ground wire to the block. I believe that is the same with a boat. Am I right?

Sounds like a worthwhile project that I might want to do.

Pictures of the project would be appreciated.

Equipment intended for auto/truck usage often come equipped with a separate ground.
Test for continuity between the negative wire and the ground wire. If there is continuity, then just connect the negative wire and leave the ground unconnected. If you feel compelled to connect the ground, then the engine block.

For me, it would be a whole bunch easier to come up with a block & tackle system of raising and lowering your mast as opposed to a hydraulic one.

For me, it would be a whole bunch easier to come up with a block & tackle system of raising and lowering your mast as opposed to a hydraulic one.

This is the route I think I will be going. My mast is a monster at 15-ft with a 12 foot boom. I already mounted two 3500-lb 12v electric winches to control the boom and cable lift. Thinking of adding another under my helm seat (removable of course) for raising and lowering. But I am definitely intrigued by the hydraulic cylinder....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom