leak in hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landsend

Vessel Name
LandEnd
Vessel Make
Albin 35
Yes, a leak has started in the hull just foward of the rudder post area.
This is an Island Gypsy 32 sedan 1990. It started ladt year so an ispection of the keel showed a small vertical c
rack in the keel end from bottom to the shaft log. I fix that but it made no change to the leak. I guess you could call it a trickle not a leak but it should definitely not be there. The box and rudder supports on the interior lokk a bit suspisious. Does anyone know how they design the rudder post area on the IS?

If I read your post correctly you are unsure where the leak is located, but are thinking the rudder post area. Two things if in the leak is really in the rudder post area:
  • Have you checked and or replaced your rudder packing?
  • Most older rudder shafts are supported in a post made of wood (normally enclosed in resin/FRP) which can eventually rot out and start leaking. Complete replacement by a competent yard is required.
A crack in the hull was also mentioned - you "fix that." Could you elaborate on how you fixed that and where was the crack? This is another case for a good yard with FRP skills to look at.

Reactions: RWJ
Can you post a few good photos. You might get more help that way if people can actually see how it is set up.

no leaks in shaft packing or around the post which was reglassed 2 years agoby grinding down areas both outside and inside and putting on several layers of glass. the leak at that time was between the post and hull. i suspect there is still a leak and we have redirected it. i do not have any pictures and if i did it would just show the bildge area in front of rudder quadrant. you really have to put your finger on it to see the water trickling right thru the hull. the bottom showed no signs of problems. the crack was a small hairline running vertically from shaft log down along the skeg to start of rudder support. after grinding, again several layers of cloth were added and faired

Back
Top Bottom