Marine Air Systems Controller upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottwb96

Vessel Name
Star Weird
Vessel Make
Camargue
Good afternoon TF!
I am looking at changing out (at a minimum) the old 3-knob style ac/heat controllers I have (Bow/Aft) to something more modern. I was hoping to go digital as well as have wifi option as well.
I have the old Marine Air Systems units (C16H & CSM12k). The compressors both appear to go to a single control board (box, pictured below) then branch out to the individual controllers by the staterooms.

So, my question(s) are:
1. has anyone updated their old Marine Air Systems controls?
2. what did you use to do it?
3. if I get these controllers now, are they forward compatible w/ new "all-in-one" units?

Any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the FX2 unit I was looking at.

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.c...and-EasyStart/c/25823691/offset=0&sort=normal

Attachments

• both compressors.jpg
    both compressors.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 50
  • MAS 3 knob controller.jpg
    MAS 3 knob controller.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 50
  • MAS control board.jpg
    MAS control board.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
Have you found anything that is basically plug-n-play? Also, do you have a single control board? that handles both your units? Curious if mine handles both or if I am just not finding a second control box hidden somewhere. Wondering if I can just get one FX-2 control kit and then add a secondary control/touch panel...

Based upon my experience, for best results, call a tech.
That way, if it doesn't work, you can blame it on them.

Have you found anything that is basically plug-n-play? Also, do you have a single control board? that handles both your units? Curious if mine handles both or if I am just not finding a second control box hidden somewhere. Wondering if I can just get one FX-2 control kit and then add a secondary control/touch panel...

Yep we have a single control board just like yours - runs both units. Last fall I thought my a/c water pump died - ordered a new one and installed it and still did not run. Called in the cavalry - found a tiny fuse in that control box that had blown :banghead:. Now I have a spare a/c pump. Have not found anything to replace the three knob thermostat.

thanks for the info, was really hoping there wasn't another hidden somewhere on the boat. :)
HOPEFULLY that means I can just buy ONE controller box and 2 remote panels. Seems to be a few options out there for upgrading to at least a "digital" style control panel instead of the "know-style". But I'd really like it to be wifi enabled as well. Visibility of the boat conditions while away would definitely be nice.

FYI, I also messaged Coastal Climate Control earlier today, but missed them since they are 3 hours ahead. I'll definitely let you know if/what they reply with.

Hey Scott. Is Beach Music next door still afloat? I'm still suffering from vertigo and haven't been able to get down to the marina for two weeks now. Tim

It is... I was just there yesterday. :) Prob be down there again in the next couple of days if you want me to check your lines or anything else...

Thanks Scott. I had Doug check the lines a few days ago. Hope to be down there again before too long. Tim

Hey I'm still suffering from vertigo and haven't been able to get down to the marina for two weeks now. Tim

If you go to rehab, they will give you exercises involving standing first one leg and then the other, while holding on to something. Every now and then, I have to do these exercises until I can stand on one leg and then the other... If I can stand on a leg for 5 sec w/o holding on, it's a pretty good start.
I am assuming you have visited an ENT also.

Thanks OldDan. I got this just as the shelter in place was taking effect. I have had it once before, but it only lasted two days. It's now been almost two weeks. I have done a telemedicine conference with my doctor. Medicines don't seem to help. The Epley maneuver hasn't helped either. My doctor suggested physical therapy, but right now I don't want to take a chance going out. I live in King County, Wa., one of the hardest hit areas. I'll live with it for while longer. My wife is taking good care of me.

Thanks OldDan. I got this just as the shelter in place was taking effect. I have had it once before, but it only lasted two days. It's now been almost two weeks. I have done a telemedicine conference with my doctor. Medicines don't seem to help. The Epley maneuver hasn't helped either. My doctor suggested physical therapy, but right now I don't want to take a chance going out. I live in King County, Wa., one of the hardest hit areas. I'll live with it for while longer. My wife is taking good care of me.

I wish you well. Try the exercises and maybe it will improve. I discovered when I was onboard I had less trouble standing on one leg. LOL I think the subtle movement of the boat has retrained our inner ear... you know sea legs.

Old Dan is spot on, my wife has vertigo also, only thing that worked for her is PT. I do understand that most PT c enters are closed in these trying times, at least in NJ they are.

Feel better porman....

I exchanged our two Marine Air knob controllers with the FX 1 digital controller a couple of years ago and it was an easy switch and very happy with the result. Also using the remote temp sensor in each unit and working well.

One of the units controls a single compressor with two air handlers (primary rear cabin / slave in front cabin) and works just fine. I left the knob controller in the front cabin and they are only temp and speed.

Coastal Climate Control tech support was great to work with too.

ME:
Question or Comment: I have 2 older Marine Air Systems Heat/AC units. Models C16H and CSM12K. I was wondering if the FX-2 kit would be compatible with my units. I "think" both of them go back to a single motherboard then split off to each 3-knob controller.
1. are the units compatible
2. do i need 2 control units or just one "brain" and 2 separate control panels?
3. are these forward compatible, meaning, can I use these on the newer "all-in-one units"?

Any additional suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

RESPONSE:
Hi Scott, and thank you for your inquiry.

The FX2 will indeed work with your older Marine Air units, but for your systems the FX1 would be more appropriate. The FX1 has all the features of the FX2 other than some add-on capability which wouldn't be suitable for your systems. We have a specific wiring guide for Marine Air in the FX1 Manual, and it is the easiest manufacturer to convert.

In simple terms, you will need to cut the cable to each existing three-knob control and divert those wires into the FX1 Power Module. The Power Module gets hidden away somewhere, as long it is located where the cable from the old control can be diverted into it. We will tell you what color wire goes where, and you won't to have any knowledge as to what wire does what. You will not have to access any wiring on the actual air cond units. The plug-in Display cable is run from the Power Module to wherever the FX1 Display is mounted. You will need one complete kit for each system.

Your last photo shows a Pump Relay, which switches on the water pump when either unit's compressor is running. This will remain unchanged.

FX1 controls will work with any air conditioning system, and as long as you can provide a schematic diagram we can advise on wiring.

I trust that this answers your questions sufficiently, but please don't hesitate to get back to us for more information or if you are ready to place an order.

Regards,
Coastal Info

ME:
Good morning and thank you for the quick reply and detailed info. Thanks for letting me know about the FX1 vs FX2. Going forward if I were to upgrade my heat/AC with something like the unit in the link below, would it be more appropriate to have the FX2? Also, I thought that I read the FX1 does NOT support WiFi only the FX2?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3050622

RESPONSE:
Originally, the FX-1 did not support Wi-Fi, but the current generation FX-1 does.

If you were to buy the unit you refer to, you'd probably be better off using the FX-1 control on it. However, you'd be much better off buying a MarinAire unit. This is much better unit, at a very good price, and comes with a very good control plus remote. You can also purchase a third-party Wi-Fi device for the MarinAire units, if that is a priority. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.c...oning/marinaire-compact-air-conditioning.html

Keep in mind that both the MarinAire and the Defender models are Compact or Self Contained models, with everything on one base pan. Your existing systems are Split units, with the compressor in one place and the blowers remotely located, so they will not be drop-in replacements.

Regards,
Coastal Info

I have the same system as you Scott. Last year I had to replace the 12BTU unit. I found out that Dometic bought out Marine Air Systems. Try giving them a call.

I was looking at the Dometic retrofit kit "version" looks to be a more expensive version of the Microair option.

Lets us know what you decide and the cost. I may do the same.

Micro-air seems to be the best option. I can update my current (working) units to modern technology. If they go out or I am ready to preemptively replace them, I can still use the wifi enabled devices on the newer more efficient all-in-one units. May also shave a bit of cost off the newer units based on the fact I wouldn't also need the control panel on a newer device. Also, the company below, from other forums seems to have great customer service. They have been very responsive w/ all the emails I have sent. Install seems to be very straightforward, DIY... :)

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.c...isplay-and-WiFi/p/135439005/category=25823691

FX1 control boxes

A long time ago I replaced (quantity 2) 3 knob controllers with FX1 boxes and digital displays on (quantity 2) 16000 BTU Cruisairs. I recently bought and installed two new Dometic 16000 BTU self contained units. I was able to use the wall mount FX1 digital displays but the control boxes are sitting in my storage shed (along with a 3rd untested spare control box). I live in Orange Beach AL and will give them to anyone who wants them. I do not want to pack or ship them but it seems a shame to throw them out... Contact me at

jim_gano@yahoo.com

if you can be in my area for me to drop them off...

We replaced ours with Honeywell wifi thermostat. We have 3 units, 2 are Marine Air. Each have their our controller. I not really sure how our A/C guy did it, but I do remember him saying something about building a electric board to use them.

I had one of my controllers replaced by a Dometic service tech. I had a blown board in the control box. He needed a new box, a new control panel, and a new cable. The whole ordeal set me back about $850. He did check my other two units and added refrigerant to one of them. Now my aft unit controller is starting to fail. It still works only it does not shut off except at the main breaker panel and it gets our aft cabin to hot But, then we really don't need it down there. Heat it up, turn it off, go to bed, pull up the covers, zzzzzzzz. I'll look into one of the cheaper options when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom