What Trawlers are made in the USA/Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I took the photo from our boat as we were passing the Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. The light marks the east side of one of the main turns in shipping channel from the Pacific through the Juan de Fuca Strait through the islands to the Strait of Georgia and on up to Vancouver, BC. Very busy shipping lane to say the least.

IIRC, Carey's hull and superstructure were made in Maine and then shipped out here for completion. Or his hull was made in Maine and shipped out here for the completion of the rest of the boat. Hopefully he'll chime in here and set us straight. He's told me who made the boat but I can't remember.

There are a couple of other lobster boats from the same manufacturer out here. One of them for sure does not have the flying bridge, and it looks very nice, too. The main cabin of Carey's boat is huge for a 36' boat--- thir boat is the "mother ship" when we cruise together as they can seat eight around their main cabin table. A big forward stateroom with a head, shower compartment, and large closet aft of that.

It's a great boat and one of my favorites in our 2000+ boat marina.

cworthy
At Marin's request I'll clarify a couple questions. My lobster boat was built by Flye Point Marine in Brooklin, Maine in 1990. She was layed up and roughed in at the yard in Maine and shipped to Washington State with engine and transmission installed. She is of a Spencer Lincoln design. She was then completed by a local cabinet maker/boat builder. Flye Point later sold to Atlantic Boat Company, which still sells an occasional hull off of that mold. They are primarily involved in building the Duffy designs which most of us in the lobster boat world know very well.
Marin was right in saying it's powered by a 420 hp Caterpillar six cylinder (3126). As much as I love our boat, I will say lobster boats are not for everyone. You have to love them enough to give up the space that they don't have as a result of the low shear line. This sedan version has only one stateroom in the 36' size. If you need a second stateroom, there are a few tri-cabins built by various manufacturers in your neighborhood.
Finally, I will add that for me, the combination of handling, speed and ability to run slow as well, makes it the ideal boat for me. But they truly aren't for everyone.
Good luck on your search.

This came from another forum. I think just some of the little guys are made in MX.

"The most efficient plant, funny enough, is the Reynosa Mexico plant, where many hulls are shared, such as the Bayliner 175, Maxum 1800MX, and Sea Ray 175BR."

Interesting...

Lots of stuff is being built in Reynosa. I didn't know about the Bayliners though.

Most of the product for my business comes out of Reynosa. I have a warehouse in Mcallen, in the Foreign Trade Zone.

Atlantic Boat is in Brooklin, Maine, just down the road aways from me. The self styled "Boatbuilding Capital of the World". Many of the Duffy boats they build are Spencer Lincoln designs. Spencer is a wacky local character who certainly designs nice boats. The Zimmerman Z31 and Z38 are his designs as well.

Check out Samson Enterprises out of Arichat, Nova Scotia (samsonboats.com). I mention them because we have a 38' Samson rigged for tuna at our boat yard, and I was on a 42' Samson last year built for a cruising couple. Rugged and heavily built, they have a range of offshore commercial and pleasure boats, kits or finished. There's probably a bunch of lobster and fishing Samson's up there looking for some TLC. As with most other builders who market hull kits, like Atlantic Boat's Duffy, there's probably some unfinished dreams hanging out in some back yards or barns.

John Baczek
Puffin, NT32-266
Watch Hill RI

Do not forget the Pilgrim 40 built in Godrich Canada

Don't forget the Sabrelines either. And Legacy makes/made some really interesting full displacement trawlers.

I believe that all Fales (Willard copy) were made in the Pearson yard in Rhode Island.

Back
Top Bottom