Are old trawlers easy to sell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bleacherfan

Vessel Name
Chacha
Vessel Make
1972 Grand Banks
My husband had to have this 1976 36' Grand Banks trawler. We picked it up at a deal plus $5,000 for survey and repairs. It needs to be updated and some sanding but it runs like a charm. We aren't sure whether to keep it though, i like to travel a little faster than 8 knots. Just wondering if trawlers are easy to sell.

It all depends...but a Grand Banks is a very desirable make. Given any particular condition, it'll generally sell better than a Brand X.

If the price is right.
If you want to go faster, get a high speed boat or a longer hull. Hull speed controls cruising speed unless you install massive horsepower.

I think the changeover to fiberglass was around 72 or 73.

Greetings,
Ms. b. Welcome aboard. With all due respect, you sound like one of those "fast women" my daddy talked to me about.

How about this: Since your dear disillusioned husband has a dull, SLOW boat, why don't you buy YOURSELF a boat. Small and fast, VERY fast. You can tow it behind Miss Boring and fulfill your "need for speed" almost anytime you want BUT you will be doing it in far off exotic locations brought to you by....Wait for it.....Your hubby and Miss Boring. TADA!!!

200w.webp

Well, you bought it. That sounds flippant but in all seriousness, that means people buy them. There is a saying that there is no problem that the right price won't cure. In other words, price what you have appropriately for the market and someone will buy it. Corollary, if it won't sell, adjust the price.

Grand Banks has good brand recognition and deserves it, so you have that going for you.

But I'd add something to that, which is, that there is also a certain "band" of value wherein the identical thing could be at the top, middle, or bottom of the band. The difference? Ad presentation. Doesn't need to be glossy or catchy, but as a buyer I will go "top of the band" for a boat that is advertised clearly, with good photos, engine data, electronics models, clear price, etc. Don't make me beg for snippets of information.

Conversely, if the boat photos are poor, the boat is full of stuff, there is no price, details are vague, and it just generally seems like I'm going to have to do a lot of work to even get a clear idea of it, then I'd be bottom of the band -- or maybe just move on to another boat, if it's one that is not super rare.

I suppose a starting point is what you paid for it, plus 50% of the cost of your improvements (total ballpark obviously). You could also look at Yachtworld for ideas; there are probably a couple dozen fiberglass GB 36's listed right now. (Your profile says 1972, which would be wood; your OP here says 1976, which would be fiberglass. I think 1973 was the transition year.)

Last edited:
A general rule of thumb that seems to hold true for me:

Boats are easy to buy, hard to sell.

The absolute best buys in the boating market are "nice" boats that someone has gone overboard in a renovating, refurbishing, remodeling, rebuilding or restoring. Especially if much or the work has been professionally done. If you spent $5,000 for a survey and repairs it sounds like you are hiring the work done and will soon be in over your head, or "upside down" as they say in the car and real estate markets. ( I hate to use that phrase in the boating world)

Your Grand Banks sold at the price at which it sold for a reason. You will NEVER get an extra dollar for each dollar you put into it, be careful.

pete

Best guess, old trawlers are easier to sell than the cost of a divorce.

Sorry, I have been in quarantine too long. (looking ashamed)

Under the picture it says 1972. So which is right?

I was going by what was said in the post. GB changed over to glass in mid 72 if I remember correctly. But if it was a really cheap deal then it probably is a 72 woody.

Back
Top Bottom