Can I do This? Would you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
I had a bad Ebay experience. I bought 2 new props at auction. They were sopposed to be 1 1/4" bore but turned out to be 1 3/4" bore. I got a hell of a deal on props that will not fit. The guy so far has refused to take them back.
I got to thinking, I can not get a bore reducer that will go from 1 3/4 to 1 1/4" I have used them before with OK results but still I'm not fond of them. I am wondering, why can't I make a set? I would make them from bronze. I dont have a good way of creating an inside taper and particularily a keyway. So i thought I could start with a 1 1/4" bore junk prop. I could cut the blades off then turn a proper SAE std. 1 3/4" taper on the o.d. of the hub. milling the external keyway would be fairly easy. I could offset the i.d. taper keyway and the external o.d. taper easily. I would want to control the external diameter so that the new bushing did not extend behind the prop hub. There by insuring the prop washer and nut only contacted the prop. What is the opinion of this?? would it work? I have a engineering background and have toolmaker connections.

I am looking for a 1 1/4" bore junk propeller hub at least 3 3/4" deep. I need to be a large diameter ot be that deep. I already have one. Ideally the blades could be sawed off to save shipping .

What think thee?

It would have to have some really close tolerances. I am not a machinist so I don’t know how difficult this would be to do. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing this. I think I would contact ebay support and try to return them and buy the correct ones. Maybe leave a scathing review if the seller will not take them back.

That's pretty simple false advertising. Ebay should cover it without issue. The no return policy doesn't cover the seller if the product doesn't match the description.

Ted

Yeah, had a similar issue where the product was not as advertised. Seller stopped replying. Went through Ebay returns, they credited me back the money and I also still had the product. Felt bad, for a min, but it was their fault for misrepresenting the product and ignoring the messages...

You run the risk of damaging a lot of running gear if some goes a foul. Not just the props - but shaft's, struts, bearings, rudder - etal. I would take the issue back to Ebay.

If you can't find another prop, you could buy buy bronze shaft material the length of the hubs and machine that as a bushing. It might be faster than turning all the material needed to be removed from a prop.

This doesn't answer the "can you" question, because I don't know. On the eBay side of the equation, I've had (only) a couple of situations over the years as an eBay buyer where there was a smallish but still important problem that was blown off by the seller (for example once an item was shipped to an incorrect address across the country from my actual shipping address).

Both times I tried to work it out with the seller. In the wrong address scenario it was something I really wanted so a friend drove 45 minutes to the wrong addressee (it was a business, so not dropping in on someone's house) and shipped it to me on his dime. I asked the eBay seller only to refund me for the original (wrong) shipping (I paid the friend separately for his part in it).

Seller basically said "screw you, talk to eBay." So I opened a case and provided documentation of the issues and said what I wanted (shipping refund, which amounted to about $20 on a $250 item). eBay gave the seller another chance (as I remember it; this was a few years ago) and his attitude was, "nah, you take care of it."

eBay then refunded my purchase price and the original shipping and said to keep the item. It was more than I asked for or needed, but geez, the seller's attitude was so terrible. Even though I had asked for only minimal accommodation.

Upshot is, if it were me, and if the item clearly and objectively does not match the description, plus you've attempted to work it out with the seller -- I'd open a case with eBay.

Last edited:
I had a bad Ebay experience. I bought 2 new props at auction. They were sopposed to be 1 1/4" bore but turned out to be 1 3/4" bore. I got a hell of a deal on props that will not fit. The guy so far has refused to take them back.
I got to thinking, I can not get a bore reducer that will go from 1 3/4 to 1 1/4" I have used them before with OK results but still I'm not fond of them. I am wondering, why can't I make a set? I would make them from bronze. I dont have a good way of creating an inside taper and particularily a keyway. So i thought I could start with a 1 1/4" bore junk prop. I could cut the blades off then turn a proper SAE std. 1 3/4" taper on the o.d. of the hub. milling the external keyway would be fairly easy. I could offset the i.d. taper keyway and the external o.d. taper easily. I would want to control the external diameter so that the new bushing did not extend behind the prop hub. There by insuring the prop washer and nut only contacted the prop. What is the opinion of this?? would it work? I have a engineering background and have toolmaker connections.

I am looking for a 1 1/4" bore junk propeller hub at least 3 3/4" deep. I need to be a large diameter ot be that deep. I already have one. Ideally the blades could be sawed off to save shipping .

What think thee?

I'd call that making the worst out of a bad situation. It's like making arsenic out of a lemon. Seriously, don't spend more time and effort trying to fix something that you just can't fix properly.

I'd file a complaint and get a refund through ebay and/or paypal and/or your credit card company.

Craig: Olympic Prop up in Ancortes has a selection of prop bore reducers in bronze: https://www.olympicpropeller.com/anchor-bore-reducer-bushings/
and on-line vendors General Propellor & Deep Blue both have nylon reducers up to 3” for inboards that you may be able to work with if the shipper refuses to take them back. I wouldn’t recommend nylon reducers for high-speed but for slow-turning shafts they can be prop/shaft and transmission savers against deadhead hits. They’re cheap so order several.

Last edited:
That's pretty simple false advertising. Ebay should cover it without issue. The no return policy doesn't cover the seller if the product doesn't match the description.

Ted

This.
Lodge a dispute and get your $ back

I think a premade reducer would be fine. I bet after a few hours or maybe a season of use it would actually become part of the prop to which it was attached. I also think nylon would work fine also. I guess I wouldn't try to fashion my own though.

Another thought might be to take it to a competent machine shop and see if they could built up the bore on the props then bore them out, Might work.

I would still go through eBay, it may take some time but I'm thinking you will end up satisfied.

pete

Choice: Ebay or prop shop - easy fix for a proper prop shop.

Ted
Do this first.
Then decide what to do with what you have... resell, modify, keep looking for the correct one.
It will likely take some time but if you've tried to contact the seller & resolve it should go through OK.

I sell on eBay.

eBay guarantees everything.

If the description of the item was incorrect and the seller will not take it back, contact eBay and you should get a full refund of your purchase and shipping after a few days. Even if the seller states that he does not accept returns.

When communicating with the seller, always use eBay's Messaging. eBay saves all messages between the seller and buyer and reads the messages to resolve conflicts.

As others have said, you will get a full refund and sometimes get to keep the item. If I sell something on eBay and receive a complaint, I usually refund purchase price and shipping immediately and let the buyer keep the item. It's not profitable to pay for return shipping.

My motto is "the customer comes first and is always right".

I have not been scammed enough to change my policy.

I have had the bore of props welded and redrilled by a prop shop.

Last edited:
I have had the bore of props welded and predrilled by a prop shop.

In the Navy's gas burning and welding school, I had to take an iron pipe and build it with brazing rod and then, turn it down on a lathe.... your grade was determined by the number and size of any pitting. (beaming) I got a 4.0. No pitting.
I used my vast knowledge one time to cut zinc plates on a submarine.... and brazed a couple of rings so the deck crew could hang a sign on the gang plank.... My lathe skills were utilized when cutting down the expended 5"X38 brass shell for ash trays. <SMILE>
Good old WWII shells the casing was brass, all brass. LOL

Do this first.
Then decide what to do with what you have... resell, modify, keep looking for the correct one.
It will likely take some time but if you've tried to contact the seller & resolve it should go through OK.

This. Do it right.

Nylon bushings are commercially available. I think the kit comes with a stepped key. Not as good as the correct props, but will work fine. I have used these on high power planing hulls with no problem. It is an option.

Swap the incorrect props to the prop shop, buy new props or reconditioned props, get them to factory specs and balance them to the second or third step.

Check your shaft bearings.

Have the shop install your props so you know they will toque them properly. Or use the company they recommend.

Last edited:
Can I do this for my wedding license too? Misrepresentation of the 'product'?

You can, but you don't get your money back. Usually you pay much more.

I got a hell of a deal on props that will not fit. The guy so far has refused to take them back.
If you get no satisfaction from filling a dispute with eBay, resell them.
If you got them at such a deal, resell them, possibly for more than you paid and perhaps enough to buy the right props. Make lemonade, not more problems for yourself.

If you got such a great deal on them and can’t return, you might be able to sell them at a profit. There’s a classified ad section on this forum.
I’ve used adapters, both nylon and bronze with no problems.
A purist would likely want to take the shaft, spacer and prop to a machine shop to make sure all is correctly fitted and balanced, I never did.

To me, the whole thing sounds too problematic, what with a custom key having to be much taller than it is wide to pass thru the 1/4" sidewall of the reducer bushing and all (or am I not visualizing it right?).
I'd think the best route would be to take advantage of the eBay protection plan. If that fails, bringing them to a reputable prop shop to have them properly fit for the smaller shaft.

If you can't find another prop, you could buy buy bronze shaft material the length of the hubs and machine that as a bushing. It might be faster than turning all the material needed to be removed from a prop.

Might be faster, but not as satisfying or as enjoyable as doing it yourself.

I'd call that making the worst out of a bad situation. It's like making arsenic out of a lemon. Seriously, don't spend more time and effort trying to fix something that you just can't fix properly.

I'd file a complaint and get a refund through ebay and/or paypal and/or your credit card company.

I second the motion here... call your credit card company and ask for a reversal for not getting what was advertised. I did this before and they will take care of collecting at the other end, Work very well...

AHOY PROPELLERS in Louisiana my 33 2in shaft blade bronze were like 1200 ea worked great no needless balancing just put um on and go was very happy with them..
In this case got more than I paid for!

I second the motion here... call your credit card company and ask for a reversal for not getting what was advertised. I did this before and they will take care of collecting at the other end, Work very well...

He bought the props on eBay. eBay and PayPal has better buyer protection than any credit card company.

See post 15.

Back
Top Bottom