Ford Lehman 120 Valve Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I am adjusting the valves on my two FL120s. Unlike the FL135 which has the same valve clearance for both the intake and exhaust valves, the FL120 calls for .015 for exhaust and .012 for the intake valves. Unfortunately, the manual does not show which of the twelve valves are exhaust vs. intake. I think I have it correct by inference based on the adjusting sequence in the manual but I want to be certain. It would be helpful to me and others to know, starting from the front, the first valve, to know in succession to the rear which are intake and which are exhaust for certain. Based on my inference, it is not an intake/ exhaust, intake/exhaust progression.

wrong info or you cannot open it.

Intake 2,4,5,8,9,11
exhaust 1,3,6,7,10.12

Last edited:
Based on this picture of my head I would say the order is...from front to back (or left to right in picture):

1E-1I-2E-2I-3I-3E-4E-4I-5I-5E-6I-6E

The smaller ports are the exhaust.

Joe

Attachments

• American Cylinder Head.jpg
    American Cylinder Head.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 85
Look at the exhaust manifold. The exhaust valves should line up with the ports on it. Follow air intake back to intake manifold. Intake valves will line up with the ports on it.

The firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4

So buddies are

1 5 3 6 2 4
6 2 4 1 5 3

Adjust in firing order.

Rotate engine in normal direction (bump starter and look if you want to verify) until the valve you are rocking in has the exhaust and intake valves full up.

Set leaf so the right one drags, one size smaller slides right throuhj, and one size larger wont go.

Rock on 6, adjust 1.
Rock on 2, adjust 5.
Rock on 4 adjust 3.
Rock on 1, adjust 6.
Rock on 5, adjust 2.
Rock on 3, adjust 4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom