Lehman oil levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redhook98

Vessel Name
Tatoosh
Vessel Make
1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Changed the oil in my Lehman 120s for the first time since acquiring the MT. The directions say to put exactly 3 gallons into each and mark the dipsticks. I put exactly 3 gallons in each, but one dipstick reads less that the other. A decent amount too. The PO also marked it that way. Should I be concerned? Dipsticks and oil tubes are identical in size and position. Pans are the same.

Just an old Lehman thing maybe?

Presumably one is not overfilled. IE you didn’t get all of the oil out. You know that you have plenty of oil in each engine. I would run them for awhile and see how things settle in.

Presumably one is not overfilled. IE you didn’t get all of the oil out. You know that you have plenty of oil in each engine. I would run them for awhile and see how things settle in.

Yeah, I thought of that too. But it matches what the PO had marked on the same dipsticks. And I came away with about 6 gallons total from both motors. Either way, I know I am safe with 3 gallons in each now. Just peculiar.

Most dipstick tubes are force fit into the block. Maybe one is not pushed all the way into the block, try giving it a few taps.

pete

I measured (with my eyes of course) and they appear the same. I'll check that next time I am down there (today).

About 4 years ago I experienced the same thing. After taking a closer look at each stick the collar that holds the stick on the tube had broken free from its weld letting the dipstick go down about an inch giving me a false reading. Once repaired know problem and all levels are fine.

Do you prefill the lube oil filters with some of the 3 gal?

Yes, I prefill the filters. Mine have been modified so the filter is on the bottom of the assembly now.

Seems my eyeball measurement devices were wrong. The dipstick tube (which is installed with a lock nut) on the motor in question is further out that the other. Problem solved.

I prefill too.

I remotely mounted my oil filter (bottom up) for convenience.

I have also seen several variations on Lehmans of where and which way the oil filter is mounted...I think FF made a valid point to ask.

Agree completely. My comment was meant for those owners who, which I think are many, do not have modified mounting. If I offended that was not my intent and I apologize. If I could, I would pre-fill a new filter.
I prefill too.

I remotely mounted my oil filter (bottom up) for convenience.

I have also seen several variations on Lehmans of where and which way the oil filter is mounted...I think FF made a valid point to ask.

Catalina Jack. I have the same problem as you. Filter mounted upside down. After changing oil I run the engine for a few minutes. Then recheck and top off as needed.

Could the outer tube of the dipstick tube be a different length thereby allowing the stick to bottom at different heights? Maybe the dipstick itself is different. Easy to measure.

Could the outer tube of the dipstick tube be a different length thereby allowing the stick to bottom at different heights? Maybe the dipstick itself is different. Easy to measure.

OP stated he found the problem and corrected it back in post 9.

UnFlipping the oil filter orientation on the FL 120 is simple.

I made a flat mounting plate similar to the original but longer. The length of the plate is determined by the distance from stringer so that the filter can be unscrewed and dropped without obstruction. Drilled the bottom 3 bolt holes at the same location as original. The single hole at the top holds the oil filter mount in the correct location and right side up.

Longer oil lines were necessary to complete the mod.

Attachments

• 20191215_124358.jpg
    20191215_124358.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 20191215_124344.jpg
    20191215_124344.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 574
UnFlipping the oil filter orientation on the FL 120 is simple.

I made a flat mounting plate similar to the original but longer. The length of the plate is determined by the distance from stringer so that the filter can be unscrewed and dropped without obstruction. Drilled the bottom 3 bolt holes at the same location as original. The single hole at the top holds the oil filter mount in the correct location and right side up.

Longer oil lines were necessary to complete the mod.

That is one clean, good looking motor. Nice!

That is one clean, good looking motor. Nice!

Thank You! I hate icky engines and engine rooms.

I do engine checks every hour underway and I certainly don't want to change clothes each time.

2nd, or third that! A clean engine is a happy engine. And a happy owner to boot!:dance:

To Syjos

Nice and clean engine room!!!! That only comes from a well maintained boat throughout its life! You should see some I have to work on.

Dip each engine with the other engines dipstick. If there is the same discrepancy I’d wonder if all the oil is not getting out of the engine with the higher amount on the dipstick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom