Quarantine Boat Projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, there seems to be lots of time and with the great benefit of having our boat behind my residence, I really don’t have any more excuses for not tackling the plethora of uncompleted boat projects. Given enough time in health, I may even paint the topsides!

Things like deck cracks & non-skid rebedding stanchions & hardware, two window replacements, closet floor replacement, genset tuneup and sea-cock replacement, bottom job is due, veranda deck sand & sealer way overdue, on & on. It looks like cruising is out for the time being so as long as I’m healthy, I should be after all these things, resources permitting.

Anybody else resigned to doing what they said they couldn’t get around to doing? It might keep us out of trouble, if ya know what I mean.

I'm at anchor for a couple of days. Tomorrow after a walk ashore I start to put the blue masking tape around the brightwork and do a bit of sanding, and hopefully the first coat of poly.

Once back on the boat, cleaning the ER bilge. No oil, just dirt that falls into the ER bilge when opening the hatches.

Will be washing the boat this week and doing final checks and prep for the trip North. Departure won't be till about the middle of next month depending on "Lung Pao Sicken". Should have it all done except food provisioning and filling the water tanks.

Ted

Heard a Dr. on TV say to get through the boredom of self isolation we should finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. So I looked through the boat to find all the things i've started but hadn't finished...so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum xther

I'll continue to fix it as I break it. No doubt I'll have a list of repairs needed when I return from my Quarantine Cruise. It's always that way with a 40+ year old boat.

Heard a Dr. on TV say to get through the boredom of self isolation we should finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. So I looked through the boat to find all the things i've started but hadn't finished...so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum xther

:rofl: Brilliant!

I'm still under shrinkwrap and the boat yard is closed until further notice.

I'm working on BSA motors I've been hoarding.

Now that there is funny!!:thumb:

Down here in Brisbane, Australia, ‘Beluga’ has been given a present of the dreaded capping rails taken back to bare timber and re-done....

We’re working on exterior painting; eye brow, grab handles by pilot house doors plus what ever needs white paint. We brought everything we need and some. We usually wait till the fall but now seems like a good time and I may even get Lena’s help. :dance:

Geez, you guys make me feel like a slacker!

I’ve been doing some hated plumbing projects—a water filtration system that makes us comfortable with drinking tank water—and raw/freshwater washdowns near the bow (the butyl rubber caulking is still oozing out).

Next week, it’ll be time to start on the teak. (One more reason I’m rooting for a cure for the CV.)

Attachments

• D2091367-0D4D-4FCE-BD31-3DB60E34EE54.jpg
    D2091367-0D4D-4FCE-BD31-3DB60E34EE54.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 33
  • E78744A4-AD6D-4A71-A35B-93CD9A761272.jpg
    E78744A4-AD6D-4A71-A35B-93CD9A761272.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2B1A8C54-5063-4D4F-910C-1A936A281A69.jpg
    2B1A8C54-5063-4D4F-910C-1A936A281A69.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
I'm just scrambling to finish the winter projects, same as I'd be doing regardless. No indications so far that my launch will be delayed, so probably no time for extra projects. I bit off a good chunk this winter anyway.

Installing a new Digital Yacht Wireless AIS transponder. Wireless in that it sends info to Ipad wirelessly, but to the chartplotter via NMEA2000. Was debating using existing vhf antenna with splitter, but the vhf/ais splitters are more than twice the cost of a new ais antenna. So a new antenna it is.

Then there is that new Marine Elegance toilet that has been sitting in it's box on the deck for several months waiting for install :facepalm::facepalm:

Coronavirus Boat Projects

Company restructuring and early retirement last year, we kept the boat out of the water and planned to do some extended trips this year.

Last year I bottom painted the boat before covering it as we had no repairs to complete. This year our boat is 20 years old with regular updates. Decided to add a few more.

• Purchased new chartplotter
  • Replacing manual pump on toilet
  • Replacing one of the two batteries-normally change every other year.
  • Replaced both thru hull valves, clamps, water hoses, cleaned or installed new inline strainers
  • Found one rooftop railing connection to be leaking so will re-bed all rooftop fasteners.
  • Re-bedding bow rail fasteners
  • Re-freshing interior teak cabinets/trim
We live 60 miles north of New York City along the Hudson River. Marinas and yacht clubs are currently closed with no work progressing to open dock systems. If the resulting season is too short we may not splash this year and just use our fishing boat. Taking the same wait and see attitude with other travel plans while we enjoy a more peaceful initial retirement.

Marina is still open as far as I know but no idea about the boatyard where it's stored. So no projects now. Not even sure if we are going to splash it this year. i'm figuring June b-4 things even get close to back to normal. Whatever normal will be.

angus99- I have that filter at my home kitchen sink. It’s awesome

I like that water filter project.

It’s an easy install and this line of filters has excellent ratings. Aquasana has a 50% off sale, but they’re out of this model. I got mine on Amazon for $125.

I have a single cartridge filter under my galley sink. I have to take every thing out of the cabinet, roll on my back, slide in head first..... changing the filter is not the problem. It is the prep and clean up....

Installed a DY2500 AIS, so now I can see all the other traffic not leaving the Marina!

Replaced all my 20 yo bilge pumps and installed a new high water alarm. Found existing bilge pump wire splices in a conduit at pump level (too low!) and move the new splices much higher.

In process is to re-purpose our dinette settee filler cushion (that make dinette into a bed) as a padded headboard in our stateroom. It will still serve as filler cushion on those few nights it's needed. Making a frame to attractively hold it in place. This large cushion was stored in my girlfriend's closet. She will gain 8" of closet space -> that is a big deal!

I understand HealHustler is constructing a small, tow-able barge for his Admiral's shoes. Really hoping news of that does not spread north...

Were did you find room to put it? That looks like great space.

Larry, the aft head vanity is directly below the galley sink, where Inteed off the supply line. The filters fit nicely under the vanity along with the Purasan and a tangle of plumbing. It took two 6-ft hose runs from the cold water supply down to the filters and back up to the faucet, but it works just fine. Room on this boat isn’t hard to find. :D

Attachments

• 6C0C4CAD-66FB-419A-AB70-FA80C03F2457.jpg
    6C0C4CAD-66FB-419A-AB70-FA80C03F2457.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom